The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
Hoffa

Door issue - help needed - latch failed?

So last weekend, I got to Home Depot. When I tried to get out, the door wouldn't open. All of the actuating rods appear to be connected and working, but the door won't budge.

I am planning on removing the door panel - probably not easy with the door closed and the seat in. I am concerned that the issue is in the latch and I can't get the latch off without opening my door. The good old "Catch 22"!

This issue is on a Blazer, but obviously it could just as easily be on a pickup. I figured that I would post here for a better chance of finding someone else that has run across it.

Any help is appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
68 Chev SWB 2WD w/'95 LT1, 6spd, 4:56, 17" whls - family owned since 1973.
70 GMC LWB 4WD w/RAMJET 350, 4spd, 4inch lift, 33" tires, Warn Winch
72 Chev Blazer CST, 350, TH350, 4WD, factory A/C, tilt, radio delete, 77K miles, orig. paint/interior
Hoffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
Russ.W.

Re: Door issue - help needed - latch failed?

I've had this happen on my '67 Impala a few times. Has happened when opening the door from both inside and outside.

No idea what it is, but I've found that if I insert the key in the lock, lock it, then unlock it - with the key, not the lock knobs - then it'll open up. If you're inside the cab when it happens, you'll have to wind down the window and insert the key from there. You'll look like an idiot to passers-by, but it may be your only way out

Sometimes you may have to lock/unlock 2 or 3 times, but it always fixed my problem. Just do it slowly and be sure you get a full "click" when doing it.

Obviously it's something that moves when the door is shut - but I haven't bothered to investigate further.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If what Russ posted doesn't help check this thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415166

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Hoffa

I appreciate the suggestion Russ. I hope all is well "down under". I'm thinking that a righthand drive conversion would be easier then what it is going to take to get thus door open!

I went out to the garage this morning hoping that this would work, but no dice.

It's not that the door has been an angel as it sometimes would refuse to latch too. In fact it did that 3 or 4 times before I got it to shut. When I got to my next stop, I found out that it decided to shut - for good!

I'm afraid this will be a royal pain in the butt, so any suggestions are VERY welcome.
Posted via Mobile Device
72 Chev Blazer CST, 350, TH350, 4WD, factory A/C, tilt, radio delete, 77K miles, orig. paint/interior
Old 09-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
geezer#99

Push on the inside with both feet while someone holds the button in and lifts on the door. Taking the panel off gains no access. It's the latch stricker. THe part attached to the door frame. It's set wrong and the cover on the latch is jammed on to it.
Push, pull and lift. And wiggle! And Curse! And curse some more!! It'll come.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
Hoffa

Thanks LockDoc & geezer#99.

I finally got a chance to mess with the door some. I couldn't get it to budge by pushing on the onside and pulling on the outside. However after peering in the door crack, I could see the door latch was bound up on the latch striker.

While trying to figure out what to do next, I spied a pile of gravel at the edge of the driveway. I thought I should try pulling the driver side front up on it and see if I can relieve the pressure on the latch. Well, it worked and the door popped open.

Hopefully this is the wake up call I needed to take a run at re-alignment of the door.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffa View Post
Thanks LockDoc & geezer#99.

I finally got a chance to mess with the door some. I couldn't get it to budge by pushing on the onside and pulling on the outside. However after peering in the door crack, I could see the door latch was bound up on the latch striker.

While trying to figure out what to do next, I spied a pile of gravel at the edge of the driveway. I thought I should try pulling the driver side front up on it and see if I can relieve the pressure on the latch. Well, it worked and the door popped open.

Hopefully this is the wake up call I needed to take a run at re-alignment of the door.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad you got it open. Yup, I think I would adjust it while I had the chance...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote