The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2014, 01:39 AM   #1
findog78

Antenna removal

I want to plug the antenna hole for paint and the options seem to be a antenna windshield or a hidden antenna amp? I do need a new windshield and it will be removed for paint so its an option and the timing is right but I've never seen a windshield style for my truck? Did a forum search and some say poor reception? Anyone have first hand or opinion on options? Thanks.
findog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Antenna removal

-
To the best of my knowledge no windshield with integrated antenna. At one time someone made an antenna that you "taped" to the inside of the windshield, along the top, but I don't know if they are still made or not. I had a hidden antenna in the White '67 but it wouldn't work unless I stuck it on the inside of the rear window or hung it over the rear view mirror... That was a few years ago so they may have some new technology out there now.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:45 AM   #3
swamp rat

I agree with Locdoc on the windshield, i wish there was one.

There are a number of antenna options out there unfortunately i have read only mixed reviews at best. The options have been to mount it behind the rear view mirror or an under dash unit which would be shielded by all the body steel

As far as i have found Google "best mount to windshield antenna" or "best under dash antenna" and start trying some.

I called Classic Car stereos and he recommended to run theirs right up on the dash surface, thinking about it if you were to oblong a dash pad bolt hole you could probably run a wire thru that and carefully reinstall the dash pad and then stick the unit up against the pad with a piece of double back tape..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
Daman

On my last pickup I used a small rubber one from auto zone and mounted it in a stake pocket.
Daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
CURSED GEARS

I "frenched in" my antenna on the passenger side of the truck just behind the passenger door. I had a lot of compliments on it. I would show you a picture but it got fried on my last computer. There is a picture of it somewhere on here.
CURSED GEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
flashed

On my 72 that is in the bodyshop they installed a hidden power antenna in the front driver side stake pocket ,it raises up when the radio is on and retracts when the radio is off .It is also behind the stand up spare tire .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
bollybib

The reception with the stock antenna in my area was poor at best. I got one of these that improved my reception enormously. I got the TT-2C-10 with a ten foot cable so I could run it from my under-dash head unit to behind the seat on top of the gas tank. None of it can be seen and my FM reception is great now.

http://www.tunetrapper.com/Hidden_Car_Antennas.html

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
chopnchaneled

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
On my 72 that is in the bodyshop they installed a hidden power antenna in the front driver side stake pocket ,it raises up when the radio is on and retracts when the radio is off .It is also behind the stand up spare tire .
John,,,, Any ideal of who's antenna they used and any pic's of install?
Joe
Old 01-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
findog78

I saw someone on here when I was searching that had the one with "tape" up side of dash and across bottom of windshield and it looked totally hoaky. I like bollybibs tunetrapper. I think I will give it a shot. Thanks
findog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #10
flashed

Joe ,I furnished the antenna ,dont know where I got it . I have another one somewhere if you want it and I can find it .I wasnt able to be there to get pics of the install but it looks good .I hope you can see it in person real SOON . It is finally getting close to being done I hope .
Old 01-30-2014, 11:56 PM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ive seen a power antenna installed close to the regular spot. The little ball on the top has been painted the same color as the vehicle and shaped to the exact contour of the body. And it is mounted in a way when its retracted it sits perfectly flush with the body and the fills the little hole it pokes up out of.

I have no idea if I wrote that in a way you can understand lol
Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #12
flashed

I understand what you are saying ,mine is done similar as the stake pocket is filled and just the very tip of the antenna shows only if you look for it. I thought about doing mine as you described but I wanted it more hidden as I am using a radio delete plate and hid the stereo in the BuddyBucket console .I am going for the stripper look from a distance but added quite a few options . Im way over my budget but its going to be nice.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:38 AM   #13
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollybib View Post
The reception with the stock antenna in my area was poor at best. I got one of these that improved my reception enormously. I got the TT-2C-10 with a ten foot cable so I could run it from my under-dash head unit to behind the seat on top of the gas tank. None of it can be seen and my FM reception is great now.

http://www.tunetrapper.com/Hidden_Car_Antennas.html
I have the same one. Mounted it behind the seat over the gas tank. Works reasonably well.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
19GM71

Quote:
Originally Posted by findog78 View Post
I want to plug the antenna hole for paint and the options seem to be a antenna windshield or a hidden antenna amp? I do need a new windshield and it will be removed for paint so its an option and the timing is right but I've never seen a windshield style for my truck? Did a forum search and some say poor reception? Anyone have first hand or opinion on options? Thanks.
I have heard that the 81-87 GM truck windshield with the integrated antenna can be cut down to fit in the 67-72 trucks. I have searched the internet for two days with no luck on this subject. I am going to make some phone calls today to the person who told me about this about 8 months ago and see if I can prove this or disprove this. If I find any info about doing this I will definitely post it.

It has not been mentioned here yet, so has anyone else ever heard of this being done?
19GM71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

As hard as these windshields are to install and all the leaking problems,I can't imagine (if even truly possible) what a difficult job it would be to take a '73+ windshield and make it fit these trucks properly,leak-free,and without pulling all your hair out. It sounds like a great custom touch,but I'd just assume get used to looking at the antenna that almost every vehicle built in the 60s-70s had. I'm so used to them I don't really see them. Kinda like headlights or anything else,just necessary. All that said,I'm not opposed to hidden antennae. I have a radio delete cowl cover for my built from scratch '67,which will be a mild custom. I'll be doing something different for an antenna on that

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote