The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
FirstRide

1971 c10 electrical

I'm curious where I start when I'm trying to fix the wiring on my c10. I have it running and the headlights work but the wiring is kinda a hack job and I was curious what the best way to start fixing it would be?
FirstRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 1971 c10 electrical

-
The first thing I would do is download the wiring diagram from the "Electrical" forum on this site.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:55 PM   #3
Gromit

If you have another car to drive while you work on your truck, and if it looks as bad as it sounds; I would just dissemble the dash and disconnect the whole dash harness.

If you have a work surface big enough to spread the harness out, or a ladder to hang it over; you can then clean it, remove the wrap and inspect every inch of it and then re-wrap it with the original harness tape (sold by LMC & Classic & The Filling Station, etc. for about $10 per roll - it is the non sticky stuff and there are videos on youtube showing how far to stretch it when wrapping it on. You can also put small zip ties on each time a bundle of wires branch off from the main harness that will maintain the original shape of the factory harness and hold them together while you are re-wrapping them.

I did something like this and had never done it before; it went fine, and in the process found some ugly looking accidents waiting to happen (the heater blower connection and the starter connection - photos attached).

Also I was able to clean behind the dash and after 45 years it didn't look as if it had ever been done.

So that is the dash harness - as far as the engine harness; mine was so cooked and modified over the years it was easier to just plunk down $99 and get a new one that is an exact reproduction of the factory - I went with American Autowire's Factory Fit line since I run everything stock including points distributor.

I did the same thing for the front light harness - that one was I think $167 but it saves you an awful lot of grief.

The dash harness is the most expensive one at I think $367 so that is why I'd suggest at least attempting to rebuild it; since you would have to remove it anyway even if you had a new one.

I think there were only about 22 connectors in the entire dash harness; and mine is an A/C truck; each connector is unique and it only goes together one way so replacing the wiring harness is not as hard as it may first appear. Once you remove the glovebox door and box; and pull out all the likely rotted air ducts; everything basically comes out with a Phillips wrench and maybe a few sockets. Hardest part if you've never done it before is removing the gauge panel; but once you've done it once it is easy; (be cautious with that one)

Make sure you have lots of ziplock bags though; and take the time to stop and label the bag as you take each part off; otherwise you'll spend lots more time when you go to put it together (don't ask me how I know)..

Other things that came in handy for this project was a can of CRC plastic safe contact cleaner and a can of CRC plastic safe electrical lubricant; both available at Home Depot in the Electrical aisle.

Also about 6 rolls of paper towels and some purple power degreaser for all the dirt and oily residue that will likely come out from under the dash...

Another suggestion would be start by removing the bench seat and the steering wheel; that will give you a lot more room to work.

Hope that helps and check out the American Autowire site for all of their technical support info for the Chevy Truck wiring harness products. An example is attached; though please note that is for their "Classic Update" line - which does appear to require some cutting and/or crimping - you don't need to do that with their "Factory Fit" line, those harnesses are plug and play.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Classic_Update_Series_Instructions.pdf (215.9 KB, 558 views)

Last edited by Gromit; 10-08-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
engineer_gregh

Very nice post, well thought out and articulated.
1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
FirstRide

Thank you very much for that post you make it sound like a might actually be able to handle it as long as I just work my way through it and take my time along with downloading the wiring diagram I should slowly be able to figure it out thanks again
Old 10-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
biketopia

like gromit laid out, just take your time, and go with one circuit at a time and you will be up and going in no time!

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
FirstRide

Thanks like I said I have it up and running its just the wiring is a mess and i like to make it not so much of a mess
Old 10-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #8
67chevemall

WD-40 and a few rags does a great job too if you dont want to take it all apart.

tear all the old tape off and spray it. wipe it clean with wd40 and re wrap it all with black tape.

Or if you have bucks to spend buy the painless wire kit.

Cheers,
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
Gromit

Thanks, wiring is a painful topic for me personally - Because I once borrowed a 78 Chevy El Camino that belonged to my girlfriend's Mom; and long story short, I got into the driver's seat, put the ignition key in and turned it, and instead of it turning over a ton of smoke just started pouring out from around the instrument panel and dashboard. I quickly turned off the ignition and yanked the key out; but the smoke kept coming, and was so acrid and toxic smelling I had to bail out of the car... I managed to pop the hood but had no wrench to loosen or disconnect the negative terminal; and by that time the battery was pretty well drained. Luckily the car didn't ignite; but I think it was totaled. Basically the tow truck came and that was the last I saw of that El Camino.. anytime anyone mentions wiring I have a Pavlovian reaction..
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote