The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
72tutone

Windshield Install Adhesive or no

OK folks. I've searched and searched and cannot find a definitive answer. I've even reached out to precision with no help.

When installing a windshield in a 67-72, is adhesive required/warranted? Precision states to watch their 50's year trucks of install video. when I asked them. They do put adhesive on their install for the 50 year truck window. But all the videos ive seen with install to the 67-72 is installed dry per say. Not to say soap/water isnt necessary for install but dry. No adhesive.

Can anyone recommend dry or adhesive? If I recall the factory had some in the corners.
72tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
68JOHNDEERE

Re: Windshield Install Adhesive or no

You want to keep your cab as water tight as possible, I recommend sealing the windshield. Use Bedding and Glazing Compound between the gasket and the body, and Window Weld Urethane between the glass and the gasket. Both items are offered by 3M, and available at your local parts store, or paint supply house.
68JOHNDEERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
72tutone

I did buy some window weld urethane from 3m. So, as you mentioned between the window and the gasket. So just put a bead in where the window slides in all the way around the glass?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
68JOHNDEERE

You want to put a bead of sealant all the way around the gasket in the groove the glass goes into, you are correct.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
72tutone

With the glazing compound when setting the glass around the pinchweld, wouldnt the gasket pull the compound inside with it when you do the rope trick?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
68JOHNDEERE

You may get a little sealant on the rope, be cautious is my advise. When you have your gasket on the glass, and after you install the rope into the groove on the seal. Then put a 1/8 to 1/4 inch size bead of compound around the entire gasket in the fins of the gasket, that should hold most of the sealant from getting inside. Just take your time and again be cautious to where the sealant is and you will be good. Nitrile gloves are your best friend when doing this. put several layers of gloves on, when one gets sealant on it peel it off and keep going.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
72tutone

Thank you sir!
Old 07-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Not sure you will be able to read it on here but this is what the '67-'72 Factory Assembly Manual says. If you have or buy the CD version of the manual it is in the area of pages page 65-67.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #9
72tutone

Thanks LocDoc. I do have the assembly manual. I thought I recalled it having a sealer. But, I'm at work and couldnt recall.

Thank you for the image!
Old 07-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
Sandtrap9072

just use some bedding compound in the area where the glass sits inside the rubber gasket. I would not use the 3m rubber urethane inside the gasket.
Sandtrap9072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #11
Grumpy old man

If you use urethane windshield weld to install your windshield you will end up with one huge mess not to mention it was never used as an original sealer on these trucks . follow the instructions posted by Loc doc , using

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-u...3194048&rt=rud
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #12
truckster

Do not use urethane on this windshield! It was not designed for urethane. Best case scenario is you get a huge mess that's going to be difficult to clean up. Plus it will be impossible to replace your windshield in the future without destroying the gasket.

Having owned an automotive glass shop, I can tell you that I never used sealer of any kind on these windshields except for 4 or 5 inches at the top corners. You want to use a non-hardening butyl rubber sealant.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Windshield Install Adhesive or no

I have 2 trucks and neither one has any sealer in them and neither one leaks. The 71 is always inside but the 67 ramp is parked out side all the time. It hasn't leaked anymore since the new windshield this past winter was installed.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Do not use urethane on this windshield! It was not designed for urethane. Best case scenario is you get a huge mess that's going to be difficult to clean up. Plus it will be impossible to replace your windshield in the future without destroying the gasket.

Having owned an automotive glass shop, I can tell you that I never used sealer of any kind on these windshields except for 4 or 5 inches at the top corners. You want to use a non-hardening butyl rubber sealant.

I actually don't use sealer on mine either except for 6 inches over and 3 inches down from the top corners, but I remembered seeing this page from the Ass'y Manual so I thought I would post it up.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #15
72tutone

Thanks guys. Scared as hell now lol. I will just use the budding compound