The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2021, 04:29 PM   #26
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: The Future has arrived!!!!!

-
Guys, remember to keep the politics out of the discussion. I know it is hard to do but if it gets too bold it will get the thread closed. Interesting thread though....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #27
Overdriven

Surprised nobody has mentioned the manufacture of the batteries. The Lithium has to be mined, not sure where most of it is coming now but one of the largest, mostly untapped sources is in South America and with rising demand it will get tapped sooner than later. Strip mine the rain forests for electric cars? Diesel mining equipment and trains to get Lithium to ships. China is one of the few places in the world that can make the individual lithium cells that make up the battery packs. Ships criss crossing the globe just to make just one component and deliver it. And how about when these batteries are old, how much can be recycled and will it be profitable for anyone to actually want to recycle them?
Old 03-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #28
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
The POWER doesn't come from the "plug" it comes from a coal fired power plant.
Damn right it does

Over my dead body will my truck ever be electric.
Attached Images

‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:15 AM   #29
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
So what happens when we get a solar flare or EMP that takes out the grid ? and all the computer cars ? Everybody will wish they still had a points ignition and a carb stashed in their tool box
If you just leave them on the truck in the first place you'll be able to find them when you need them. Lol
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:28 AM   #30
russellmarling

I have a many opinions on this. I think trying to make the world a cleaner place is a wonderful thing. I'm not sure that plugging our cars in to coal powered energy grids is going to accomplish anything.

I have driven everything from Nissan Leafs, to Teslas at my work, and they are completely soul less. Sure, the Teslas are fast, but they have as much character and personality as my Whirlpool washing machine. Totally uninspiring to drive.

The range thing is more problematic than advertising suggests. My brother in law has a new Model X that he drove up to our house to visit for his first long trip. My house is 2.5 hours from his (mostly uphill, as our town is on top of a mountain). When he got out of the car at my house, he said "Range anxiety is real!" I ran a 110v extension cord out to the car and we let it charge overnight. The next morning, the car had nowhere near a full charge. My brother in law asked me if I had a 220v outlet he could hook to. My 220v outlets at my house and my shop are not conveniently located for car charging, and I don't have a 220v extension cord that is a mile long because I have never needed one. We then proceeded to drive to the only charging station in my small town. It is a Tesla charger but it is not a Tesla supercharger. We left the car there for 6 hours. It still didn't have a full charge. He decided to try to drive home anyway and he made it. But not without considerable "range anxiety".

As far as the retrofits in classic cars- whatever your old rattle trap of choice is, the creaks and rattles and general lack of refinement of old cars should become much more apparent with a silent powertrain. Not to mention stripping the vehicle of a lot of the character and personality that you probably purchased it for in the first place. This need not apply to the people who only have an old car because they think it looks cool.

Also, as the owner of an independent auto repair shop, things are about to radically change for my livelihood as well as my employees' livelihoods. I like technology. I have been chasing automotive technology for years and I have managed to stay up to date on it all this time. It is a constant battle. But I might be too tired for a change this radical at this point. I just hope I can sell out before I become obsolete.
'82 Yamaha Seca XJ650R Turbo!
'04 Yamaha FZ6
russellmarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel29gm View Post
Hmmm wonder how many extension cords would wind up in a swb 😆😆
Yup! 16 awg extension cord, gonna get warm and start fires!
71250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:11 PM   #32
gmc684x4

Sacrificed to the false gods of fake green new deal
How much worse is it did they use a f...d diff too
This is a truck that needs to be put into counseling for the treatment it received
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote