The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #576
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Ken, just an FYI, the pump used in the '87 TBI fuel injection is a different pressure and flow rating then required by some of today's EFI systems. I don't know what your plan for fuel injection is for the future, I just know that pump will NOT work with a LS style fuel injection system.

The standard 1987 in tank pump (Spectra Premium SP1114) is good for about 25psi. The LS style fuel injection needs 58psi. The correct in tank pump for LS style is an ACDELCO EP381 (Spectra Premium SP1115). The hanger assembly will hold either pump.

Just wanting to help you avoid any issues later on depending on you EFI plans.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #577
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Ken, just an FYI, the pump used in the '87 TBI fuel injection is a different pressure and flow rating then required by some of today's EFI systems. I don't know what your plan for fuel injection is for the future, I just know that pump will NOT work with a LS style fuel injection system.

The standard 1987 in tank pump (Spectra Premium SP1114) is good for about 25psi. The LS style fuel injection needs 58psi. The correct in tank pump for LS style is an ACDELCO EP381 (Spectra Premium SP1115). The hanger assembly will hold either pump.

Just wanting to help you avoid any issues later on depending on you EFI plans.
Karl, Thanks so much for sharing. I'm still up in the air about what I will be running.

I have been on the fence about keeping the current 454 and adding a 4L80e, finding a TBI 7.4L or going with an LS based transplant. I "thought" I had a deal on an 2007 2500 HD with a 6.0/4L80e . That had swayed my decision until it got bought out from under me.

While that was being juggled about, I decided to set the spare tank up for F/I. I knew that the 87 tank was baffled for F/I so I ordered the matching sending unit. I was not aware that I would need the higher pressure pump.

The focus of my LS/LT swap research has been on big ticket item costs. I have not drilled down through the incidental cost yet.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #578
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I got a shipment from Summit Racing today. It included the Spectra Premium sending unit and the license plate box for the rear bumper. This is Goodmark brand and its actually one of the nicer ones I have owned. The fit and finish required minimal attention to clean up.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 03-26-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:39 PM   #579
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I used stainless button heads to secure the light in place. I drilled holes for mounting clips on the bottom of the plate to prevent vibration. Normally I spray the box bright silver to match the bumper. I sprayed this one satin black to see if I like it.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 03-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #580
Dads79GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I had to do a test fit with the seats just to be confident I had accomplished my goal. From the factory, these consoles sit to low to be used as an arm rest. My objective was to raise it enough to offer a comfortable seating position and be able to rest my arm on the console lid.
I found a position that will accomplish that goal and still be asteticly pleasing.
I love what you're trying to accomplish with the interior. Looks great.
Mike

Dads 79 GMC Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=642929

1978 Silverado Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756016
Dads79GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:59 PM   #581
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads79GMC View Post
I love what you're trying to accomplish with the interior. Looks great.
Mike
Thanks, that's very encouraging. I keep questioning my choices, hoping what I have envisioned in my head will look good in real life.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 03-26-2019, 11:04 PM   #582
Dads79GMC

Maybe I missed it? Are you trying to match the light colored inserts from the seat(s) with the console? Colors online are very hard to ID. Just a thought, USA1 has a great mix for the 79 mystic vinyl paint. They may be able to match that insert if that is what you're going for.
Mike

Dads 79 GMC Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=642929

1978 Silverado Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756016
Dads79GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:17 AM   #583
Jaysonb

I wonder if you could have a paint shop mix up somthing that is a little closer match, and have them put the paint into some spray paint cans for you? Just a thought. In the picture the console doesn't seem to compliment the color of the seats very well. Might just be the lighting in the pictures.
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:28 AM   #584
Wikid61

A swatch of the actual material in the hands of the mixer? Yes, that will get you as close to matching up as possible.
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:10 AM   #585
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysonb View Post
In the picture the console doesn't seem to compliment the color of the seats very well. Might just be the lighting in the pictures.
N2TRUX:

"The lighting makes the seat look a bit yellow."

"I'm really pleased with how it came out, and the color I ended up with."

Jayson, I captured these two quotes since I assumed that you had missed them. You and Ken are two of my favorite builders on here and I assume that you wouldn't come out and criticize something that another builder had expressed satisfaction with, unless he was asking for other opinions. It takes a fair amount of time for both of you to show us what you're working on and we all enjoy and benefit from it. I don't like the idea of anyone getting unnecessary discouragement from an unsolicited opinion. Happens all the time on the internet, but we're better here. I figured it was unintentional so I thought I would do a "public service post".
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:21 AM   #586
Jaysonb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
N2TRUX:

Jayson, I captured these two quotes since I assumed that you had missed them. You and Ken are two of my favorite builders on here and I assume that you wouldn't come out and criticize something that another builder had expressed satisfaction with, unless he was asking for other opinions. It takes a fair amount of time for both of you to show us what you're working on and we all enjoy and benefit from it. I don't like the idea of anyone getting unnecessary discouragement from an unsolicited opinion. Happens all the time on the internet, but we're better here. I figured it was unintentional so I thought I would do a "public service post".
Yikes! I was under the impression that he was trying out a couple of colors trying to find one that worked for him. Sorry if my post came across as criticism, that was not my intention at all.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:09 AM   #587
LT7A

Quote:
Yikes! I was under the impression that he was trying out a couple of colors trying to find one that worked for him. Sorry if my post came across as criticism, that was not my intention at all.
That's what I figured. However, it came across that way to me. Maybe I just saw it a certain way that others won't. Anyway, my intent in saying something is in the hopes that you guys keep having a good time sharing with us so that you'll keep doing it! I get a lot out of it, more than just truck ideas. Having the world of trucks to inhabit for a little time most days is part of what gets me away from an occupation that tries to keep my brain churning full-time.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #588
SCOTI

Quote:
I didn't read it as criticism.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #589
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I didn't either.
Plus this site doesn't have a bunch of "thin skinned" forum members.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #590
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads79GMC View Post
Maybe I missed it? Are you trying to match the light colored inserts from the seat(s) with the console? Colors online are very hard to ID. Just a thought, USA1 has a great mix for the 79 mystic vinyl paint. They may be able to match that insert if that is what you're going for.
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
N2TRUX:

Let me try to clarify what I'm doing here by starting in the beginning. I want the interior to retain the OEM styling with a blend of contemporary amenities.
The Dakota Digital RTX cluster is a great example of my mindset. It looks very similiar to a factory tach dash till you turn it on. Even then, you can adjust the lighting to look similar to stock. Thats the look I am after.

I considered several option for the seating choice. I could have recovered the stock benches, or added a set of factory Blazer buckets with the console I restored. While pricing options and lead time locally I had a conversation with the sales manager of TMI Products. He told me what they offered and quoted me a very competitive price. I decided that I liked the idea of having completely new seats that paid tribute to the vintage look I was after.

TMI sent several samples of vinyl and I picked the ones that were closest to my vision, and purposely avoided the extremely popular trendy colors. Thats how I arrived at the colors of the seats.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 03-27-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #591
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
I wonder if you could have a paint shop mix up somthing that is a little closer match, and have them put the paint into some spray paint cans for you? Just a thought. In the picture the console doesn't seem to compliment the color of the seats very well. Might just be the lighting in the pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikid61 View Post
A swatch of the actual material in the hands of the mixer? Yes, that will get you as close to matching up as possible.
My experience with dyeing interiors has taught me its better to go with an "off the shelf" color. Yes, I know I can have colors matched at the local paint supply company. I have done it several times, and the results varied in accuracy. That is exactly why I prefer an "off the shelf" color.

I have used SEM enough to know that they are very consistent in tone and sheen from can to can, or can to quart. Consequently my experience is what motivates me to use the process I am using.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 03-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #592
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Regarding color choices, the seat color was determined by what was available from TMI. They are NOT limited on color options, but these came the closest to what I had in mind.

With the seat color as a guide I worked toward finding a color that complimented the primary color, but was a shade or two darker. Despite my statement that SEM is accurate with their formulas, the color charts are not. The actual color tends to be more accurate to the lid than the chart so it took a couple of attempts to zero in on what I wanted.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 03-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #593
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
I didn't either.
Plus this site doesn't have a bunch of "thin skinned" forum members.
I did not read it that way either. You guys know me well enough to know that I can read what the O/P meant to say.

In the end, I hope to have an interior that will be like the rest of my builds. I try to honor all of the GM styling that I truly love about these trucks by using a mixture of my favorites factory design elements with contemporary updates subtly blended in so as they compliment rather than distract.

Stay tuned guys and gals. I'm just getting warmed up.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 03-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #594
rustytruck50

Quote:
Stay tuned guys and gals. I'm just getting warmed up.
....and that's exactly why I subscribe to your builds, Ken!!!

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #595
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytruck50 View Post
....and that's exactly why I subscribe to your builds, Ken!!!
Thank you sir.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 03-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #596
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Due to the crewcab frame being taller than a C10 frame I debated on what system I should run on the rear of Jake. Initially I considered running a RideTech "shockwave" system but the tech experts at RideTech didnt support that plan. I had switched my thoughts to go with the weld in 4 link instead. That was until I talked with Todd Carpenter of @bigfishgarage at LST.

Ironically Todd is building a similar truck and said he used the C10 bolt in 4 link with coilover shocks. He sent me pics of how he had done it and my mind was made up.
After discussing my plan with the RideTech staff, a plan was set in motion.

Heres what showed up today.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 03-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #597
SCOTI

Quote:
Due to the crewcab frame being taller than a C10 frame I debated on what system I should run on the rear of Jake. Initially I considered running a RideTech "shockwave" system but the tech experts at RideTech didnt support that plan. I had switched my thoughts to go with the weld in 4 link instead. That was until I talked with Todd Carpenter of @bigfishgarage at LST.

Ironically Todd is building a similar truck and said he used the C10 bolt in 4 link with coilover shocks. He sent me pics of how he had done it and my mind was made up.
After discussing my plan with the RideTech staff, a plan was set in motion.

Heres what showed up today.
I don't understand why you weren't considering their Bolt-in 4-Bar?
The 'universal' Weld-In HD kit is for the larger HD axle housings from what I've researched. Since you're doing a 1/2 conversion swap, the Bolt-In kit seems a no brainer. The 'tough' choice would be the spring type (coil or bag). To me, that would all come down to how the truck is intended to be used (Sport-Truck or Tow-Truck) but my logic is not from a promotional or marketing stand-point.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 03-28-2019 at 03:38 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:01 PM   #598
Jaysonb

Ken, I have no experience at all when it comes to the "modern" rear suspensions for our trucks. I know if you want rear airbags that it is necessary to install a 2 or 4 link type system, but I'm interested to learn what the benefits of a coil over system are?? I love the way really low trucks look, but when I have done the standard axle flip I seem to end up with a real rough riding truck. Do the coil over systems allow you to get low, and maintain a nice ride, or are they aimed for performance type driving? I'm sure air ride would get me what I'm after, but I get nervous about all the things that can go wrong with an air type system.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:03 PM   #599
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
I don't understand why you weren't considering their Bolt-in 4-Bar?
The 'universal' Weld-In HD kit is for the larger HD axle housings from what I've researched. Since you're doing a 1/2 conversion swap, the Bolt-In kit seems a no brainer. The 'tough' choice would be the spring type (coil or bag). To me, that would all come down to how the truck is intended to be used (Sport-Truck or Tow-Truck) but my logic is not from a promotional or marketing stand-point.
Scoti there are multiple reasons I initially considered the HD weld in kit. Some of those factors changed. One of them was discovering the C10 bolt in kit would work on a C20 crewcab frame.

Its possible your like me and never knew that the C20 "crewcab " frame is the same as a C30 frame in the rear. Consequently the C10 bolt in kit is not a direct "bolt in" . The supplied C notch wont fit over the taller frame. If I use the Switch Suspension C notch the upper mounting bracket for the coilover goes away.

Todd used a RideTech bolt on shock mount to resolve that issue. He also figured out that the boxing portion of the RideTech bridge will work if you go inside the frame rails rather than outside. This bit of information is what encouraged me to proceed with what seemed to be the logical choice from the beginning.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 03-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #600
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Ken, I have no experience at all when it comes to the "modern" rear suspensions for our trucks. I know if you want rear airbags that it is necessary to install a 2 or 4 link type system, but I'm interested to learn what the benefits of a coil over system are?? I love the way really low trucks look, but when I have done the standard axle flip I seem to end up with a real rough riding truck. Do the coil over systems allow you to get low, and maintain a nice ride, or are they aimed for performance type driving? I'm sure air ride would get me what I'm after, but I get nervous about all the things that can go wrong with an air type system.
Actually there are several ways to accomplish lowering these trucks. My 77 started with a very simple air system before the current kits were available. The front had bags on stock A arms and and the rear used outboard mounted bags with the stock spring pack. Regarding your concern over failure, simply design your system to allow the wheels to roll with zero pressure.
My point is it's not mandatory to have a tubular system with bags, but it is the best system available.

Why did I choose coilover system vs air system? Because priorities change. In the past I wanted to be able to ride low and air out for show. Now I want a set it and forget it system. It will take a bit of tuning to dial the system in, but once we determine correct spring rate and shock settings, I'm done.

My target is a "Sport Touring " suspension that will provide a smooth tight ride. The combination of premium quality shock and control arm bushings along with rod ends that reduce deflection I should end up with a smooth ride and corner carving capability.
The massive RideTech sway bars will eliminate body roll, and an AGR variable ratio steering box will reduce lock to lock turns and improve steering feedback.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"