The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #726
fakerwade

Re: Rebuild on a shoestring.....continued

I think you should re-name your build "whiplash",,,,,since that's what I'm getting trying to follow along!!! Just kidding dude,,,sometimes you just have to go where fate takes you.
Build thread "TANGERINE" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Board Members Met: bigblock68, ol_skool_chevy ,68TT,atvpro
fakerwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #727
1972BackInBlackC10

true that! when one door closes another always opens, in this case you could say they are garage doors lol
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:26 AM   #728
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut1972 View Post
It doesn't matter what your building...as long as your building. There are alot worse things you could be doing. I think its cool that you can do something you love and make $$. I hope its a home run for you and your family. Later.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, I really appreciate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakerwade View Post
I think you should re-name your build "whiplash",,,,,since that's what I'm getting trying to follow along!!! Just kidding dude,,,sometimes you just have to go where fate takes you.
yep, if I were still working at the same place I was when I started my first build, I'd be driving a really cool custom swb truck right now...
I still would have sold the blazer but also would have a 2wd blazer for family cruises...but twice my company has either gone out of business or closed my branch over the last few years...
and I'm just happy to have a healthy family and a place to call home still!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
true that! when one door closes another always opens, in this case you could say they are garage doors lol
Old 06-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #729
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

"If you build it, it will sell"
I see dead projects"
"You had me at Rebuild"
"I love the smell of WD-40 in the morning...Smells like progress."
"Show me the money. No seriously, it's for sale."
"A 72 shortbed...it's pretty much my favorite automobile. It's like a blazer and a longhorn mixed - bred for its sellability in profit margin."
"To craigslist and Beyond!"
"I'm the Shortbed! So that's what you call me. You know, uh, that or, uh, His shortbedness, or uh, Shorty, or uh, you know, El shortbederino - if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
"The shortbed is for sale. I'm not."
And finally: "Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the truck flipping man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of lowball offers. Blessed is he, who, in the name of profit and good parts, shepherds the forgotten projects through the autobody paint prison, for he is truly his fellow truck nuts keeper and the finder of lost rare options. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to scrap and destroy my projects. And you will know my name is the VA72C10 when I list my final assemblage upon ebay."
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #730
brn agn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I see dead projects"
"You had me at Rebuild"
"A 72 shortbed...it's pretty much my favorite automobile. It's like a blazer and a longhorn mixed - bred for its sellability in profit margin."
"I'm the Shortbed! So that's what you call me. You know, uh, that or, uh, His shortbedness, or uh, Shorty, or uh, you know, El shortbederino - if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
And finally: "Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the truck flipping man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of lowball offers. Blessed is he, who, in the name of profit and good parts, shepherds the forgotten projects through the autobody paint prison, for he is truly his fellow truck nuts keeper and the finder of lost rare options. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to scrap and destroy my projects. And you will know my name is the VA72C10 when I list my final assemblage upon ebay."
If we had a "Post of the month" contest, I would nominate this reply.

1971 Cheyenne Super A Combined Effort

The Service Station-A practical ministry for those in need
brn agn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #731
watahyahknow

Quote:
The new thread can be named: My future ex-truck I'm currently working on, no wait... THIS is the truck I'm buil... scratch that, change of plans. THIS is the truck I'm building unless someone tells me they will buy it but they want something different, then it'll be THAT truck instead. Unless of course that deal falls apart and I'm left with too many options from my stockpile of parts to decide what to... oh fiddle sticks.

On second thought, just rename this thread "my current project, its for sale"
sounds familiar my plans have changed a couple of times and i havent even started building yet , just got tree trucks and a pile of parts

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #732
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
I see dead projects"
"You had me at Rebuild"
Quote:
Originally Posted by brn agn View Post
If we had a "Post of the month" contest, I would nominate this reply.
That was very funny and creative....although I prefer to not to add or remove anything from the scriptures Revelation 22:18-19
King James Version (KJV)
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: 19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Here's the original version...
Ezekiel 25:17 (KJV)
17 And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord, when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
sounds familiar my plans have changed a couple of times and i havent even started building yet , just got tree trucks and a pile of parts
It's easy to do...
Old 06-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #733
NewType72

I agree that right there is post of the month hahaha man that was classic felt like I was at a standup routine anyway progress on a truck we wanna see it!
Posted via Mobile Device

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #734
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

My version was the movie quote from pulp fiction, I did not check the accuracy to the bible.

"Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
Pulp Fiction (1994)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmvnXKRfdb8
Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #735
jlsanborn

Kay, you chimed in on my build thread WAAAAY back and visit frequently. I've finally gotten to the end of yours, only to find out you still haven't started? If I only lived closer, I'd come over and help you dig that frame out, clean a spot in the garage help you start scraping crud. How bout a before pic?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #736
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Kay, you chimed in on my build thread WAAAAY back and visit frequently. I've finally gotten to the end of yours, only to find out you still haven't started? If I only lived closer, I'd come over and help you dig that frame out, clean a spot in the garage help you start scraping crud. How bout a before pic?
well, i started the one....

gotta finish the cab this weekend/next week and it will be picked up by the 30th.....once it is out of the garage I will bring in the swb frame and start on it....it was cleaned up and painted before so won't take much to be ready for paint.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #737
jlsanborn

Just busting your chops friend! It was cool to follow your progress, seeing that you have the knack for what's gonna be cool. Save some sheckles to buy a little wire feed and an auto darkening helmet and you'll be a pro in no time! You have all the sweet stuff, just need to start gluing one together!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #738
VA72C10
VA72C10

Here's my first time welding with the new harbor freight welder. I definitely will upgrade to gas soon. It works fine and the helmet works better to me than a high dollar one I used before (it's lighter at first so I can see what I am doing then darkens quickly). First pic is the cardboard template piece. Then the piece welded in with all the beautiful welding "bugars" then after grinding it down. The corner had a dent I fixed already so after a little filler it will look good and will be solid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #739
VA72C10
VA72C10

Needs a little more grinding but I need to find my ear plugs first I was getting a headache...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #740
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Congratulations on your first welds with that machine. Get gas. Soon. lol

That should clean up with the grinder though. I use a cut off wheel to do the initial grinding though. It cuts through quicker with less heat build up. I rarely even use the grinding wheel on sheet metal. After the cut off wheel I use a flapper wheel to clean it up nice and smooth.

If you had an air compressor I would suggest a die grinder. It removes the metal pretty fast with much less heat. If I have big weld build up, technically called excessive reinforcement, I start with the die grinder, then use the flapper and done.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #741
jlsanborn

Right on! It that an arc welder you got? I see Lincoln and Hobart MIG machines on local Craigslist quite often in the $200 range. I went for years with just a great big old AC buzz box and the old-school whiplash helmet. That aint easy, especially on sheet metal! That reminds me, I better fix the exhaust on my big truck!

Flapper wheel is definately the way to go once you've got the big stuff knocked off. I've got a die grinder too and use the 1-1/2" quick change sanding discs on there. That bugger spins around 30krpm and rips the crap off quick!

Congrats on the welder!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #742
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Congratulations on your first welds with that machine. Get gas. Soon. lol

That should clean up with the grinder though. I use a cut off wheel to do the initial grinding though. It cuts through quicker with less heat build up. I rarely even use the grinding wheel on sheet metal. After the cut off wheel I use a flapper wheel to clean it up nice and smooth.

If you had an air compressor I would suggest a die grinder. It removes the metal pretty fast with much less heat. If I have big weld build up, technically called excessive reinforcement, I start with the die grinder, then use the flapper and done.
Yes, I will use a flapper to clean it up on my lil 4 1/2" hf grinder. Gas is in the near future when I get some funds, shortly followed by a large compressor. I don't have the room but I will make it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #743
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Right on! It that an arc welder you got? I see Lincoln and Hobart MIG machines on local Craigslist quite often in the $200 range. I went for years with just a great big old AC buzz box and the old-school whiplash helmet. That aint easy, especially on sheet metal! That reminds me, I better fix the exhaust on my big truck!

Flapper wheel is definately the way to go once you've got the big stuff knocked off. I've got a die grinder too and use the 1-1/2" quick change sanding discs on there. That bugger spins around 30krpm and rips the crap off quick!

Congrats on the welder!
Thanks, I will keep an eye out on my clist but never found any decent ones under 600. Id take a chance on a lincoln/hobart/miller for 200 but not 600. This was 75 plus 20 for a 2yr no hassle warranty. Seems to do fine for sheetmetal which is all I will use it for so I will look for a cheap full big tank and buy the right wire when I find the tank. For now it's a 90amp mig with flux core wire and running on 110 on an extension cord (heavy duty one). Far from ideal, but it works...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #744
JRANGER

sweet...the $99? Thats the one I have too!
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #745
VA72C10
VA72C10

For now, this is my compressor

I use it for my trim guns and use the air tip occasionally to dry off small parts I'm prepping for paint. Not exactly going to run a impact.....much less a die grinder
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #746
1972BackInBlackC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Needs a little more grinding but I need to find my ear plugs first I was getting a headache...
Posted via Mobile Device
im half deaf so if anything is too loud i just shut off my hearing aids and walah! ear plugs lol
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #747
watahyahknow

when you grind those welds go slowly , if you put too mush heat intoo the metal while grinding it can start to warp and buckle

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #748
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
sweet...the $99? Thats the one I have too!
It's the 90amp that goes on special for 99. I got it for 75. It was open and someone had already set up the spool. I tested it and it worked right off the bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
im half deaf so if anything is too loud i just shut off my hearing aids and walah! ear plugs lol
There are some advantages to being hard of hearing......what's that dear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
when you grind those welds go slowly , if you put too mush heat intoo the metal while grinding it can start to warp and buckle
Always a good reminder. Thanks. I got about 40-50 hours of practice grinding welds on my first build because it hade a shaved dash, stake pockets, pinch, gas cap, firewall, and the driprails where I had to be most careful...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #749
slick copper

Hey man. Haven't checked in in a while. You gotten any bites yet?

1967 Chevy C/10 LWB Custom Optioned "big window truck" AKA Copper

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=452594
The story of how I got the truck:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=450939
Ole Smokey Build Thread 2002 Silverado 8.1L Crew Cab **SOLD**http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=618402
slick copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #750
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick copper View Post
Hey man. Haven't checked in in a while. You gotten any bites yet?
Have a few. One in particular has committed by email and we're figuring out all the details. He's got great taste and I'm excited for the build. Should be really cool
Posted via Mobile Device