The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2015, 02:06 AM   #1
chicagoglen

Barrett-Jackson Auction

sorry if this has been posted before or also sorry if I step on anyone's toes. I am a newbie and want a I build a 1947-1953 sleeper rusty Chevy pickup on a conversion frame. I am shocked at fully restored prices of mint 1947. - 1953 in this Barrett-Jackson auction. Chevy trucks in this auction are going for $15,000 -$25000. These must be huge losses right?
Posted via Mobile Device
chicagoglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:06 AM   #2
chicagoglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoglen View Post
sorry if this has been posted before or also sorry if I step on anyone's toes. I am a newbie and want a I build a 1947-1953 sleeper rusty Chevy pickup on a conversion frame. I am shocked at fully restored prices of mint 1947. - 1953 in this Barrett-Jackson auction. Chevy trucks in this auction are going for $15,000 -$25000. These must be huge losses right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
chicagoglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
Advanced Design

Re: Barrett-Jackson Auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoglen View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I was watching that last night and saw a nice restored AD truck go through at 22k...I had guessed 23k. If the seller had it built by someone and paid the bills he took a huge loss. There were some good buys.

If you haven't already, it might be informative to search for vehicles like you have in mind to build that are for sale. See the asking prices or what they sell for on auctions to get a feel for that market.

And if you want to build one because you enjoy it, be thoughtful with what you spend money on and go for it. I have friends that spend more on golf in a year than I do building a hot rod. At the end of a year or two, they have memories and I have a hot rod.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
OrrieG

You can always find one done for less that you can build one. If you goal is to have a nice truck to drive right now, start looking locally, Craigslist, and Ebay. If you want the enjoyment and satisfaction of working on it yourself, do a realistic evaluation of how much time and money you have and if it will fit your expectation of when you can get the truck down. If you are single, relatively well off with money in the back and a job that only takes up 40 hours a week you can get a lot done by giving up any other activities. Any thing else, girlfriend, wives, kids, long working hours, new house that needs work, on and on and the project will drag on. My garage is my therapy, the process is important. But then I have another old car as my DD so I get that fix too.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
agnes the dog

It's been said that if you want to sell your truck for $50k, you'll need to spend $100k building it! Like Orrie, I get a lot of psychological benefits from being in the garage. I have a family and they respect that I need that time. The kids even jump in and turn wrenches from time to time.

If you find a decent truck to start with, set a realistic budget, and jump in and get your hands dirty, you'll have a nice truck in no time. And you'll be able to say you built it! Good luck!

1959 3100 stepside 355 + T5
agnes the dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:05 PM   #6
Softpatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
You can always find one done for less that you can build one. If you goal is to have a nice truck to drive right now, start looking locally, Craigslist, and Ebay. If you want the enjoyment and satisfaction of working on it yourself, do a realistic evaluation of how much time and money you have and if it will fit your expectation of when you can get the truck down. If you are single, relatively well off with money in the back and a job that only takes up 40 hours a week you can get a lot done by giving up any other activities. Any thing else, girlfriend, wives, kids, long working hours, new house that needs work, on and on and the project will drag on. My garage is my therapy, the process is important. But then I have another old car as my DD so I get that fix too.
once again OrrieG nails it
I would just like to ad.....
You AD guy have it going on.!
Why would I say that.?
Because the opening to BJ Reno looks like this......

1966 C-20 .....Swap 91 G-30(5.7 FI)/4L80E
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=789617
59 Viking Revival .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632341
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnes the dog View Post
I have a family and they respect that I need that time.
Number one priority, and you need to respect their priorities too. Balance is the key. Speaking from 44 years of marriage.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
Iceburgh

I agree that you can buy cheaper than build.
That being said you cant take what you see at BJ as the market for a few reasons.
1. You need two people to drive the number up.
2. BJ continues to be geared to muscle cars , pro touring and exotics very seldom do you see Street rods do well outside of Scottsdale.
3. Reno is the worst of the BJ shows, less money and less people. Trying to incorporate this with Hot August night thins the crowds. To much going on all around town
I attend all the BJ auctions....I believe this will be close to the end for Reno. They tried this same auction in Orange County and it di d not take off there. I would look for them to move this to the mid-west soon.

Vegas is in a few weeks they bring more people and money there
Old 08-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
Donaldo

""I agree that you can buy cheaper than build.""

I guess you can say it either way -

"I Bought it" or "I Built It"..........

and still building mine :)

http://www.donsbirds.com/pick-up
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote