The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
mikentosh

Project Two - '74 Sierra Grande

Doing a two year buildup of Cannonball C10 has left me with a bunch of extra parts that we've decided to not use on it. After looking at just how much I have sitting here I was faced with either selling it all in parts, or finding another truck to use this stuff on I've got a spare LS3 motor, full repro '74 wiring harness, exterior trim, interior pieces, seat, hood, and a bunch of containers full of misc. extras.

So I started browsing for another suitable candidate at the start of summer. My requirements this time was a 73-76 fleetside shortbox with original condition body and interior. Prices seem to be slightly higher than last time (mid-2013) with an average price of $5000 for smog-exempt trucks.

Anyway, a couple of Saturdays ago I received a craigslist alert on a tired, but original '74 GMC. I was on the phone with the seller after only 25 mins of posting and he already had a previous call on it. He'd only had this truck in his possesion for a few months and he had just swapped a trans into it but hadn't driven it. Registration status was unknown, but he did have the pink so that seemed good enough for me hahaha.

I convinced him to hold the truck for me as we had to do the two hour drive up from San Jose to Elk Grove. It was also the first time I'd had the opportunity to take the new squarebody ramp truck that was aquired over the summer...

The truck is pretty original and mostly clean. Bad: Rust in the fenders and over the wheels, but the floor is solid. Hood is totally done and the tailgate won't open. Good: It's a full load truck with deluxe interior, A/C (not working), and even the cargo light.

The seller had another 10 calls on it during our drive up so I wasn't about to mess around on this over a few hundred bucks. I paid the man $3k and we loaded it up

mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote