The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
56SS

My 56 Stepside LSx Build

Today is Day 1, the truck is being delivered today!!
Still needs some work to be on the road, but I am excited to get it there
Attached Images

56SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
dmack91

Re: My 56 Stepside LSx Build

Well, for Day 1, I would usually say good start. However, you are well past the start phase.

Details and updates are always welcome.

And welcome to the forum.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
Kim57

Welcome to the board.
Nice looking truck.
What are its specs?
We need more pics.
Kim
Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
56SS

Thanks for the warm welcome.
I just got the truck today, and will have to upload some more pics when I get home for Spring Break(Senior at Michigan State University).
I am excited to go home to see the truck in my own barn.

Currently, the truck has a 5.3L out of a 2001 Silverado and a 4l60e transmission from a late 90s van. It has a tilt column installed with a 78 Camaro subframe, converted to a 6 lug to match the stock 56 read end. As it sits, it needs a wiring harness and fuel system to fire up. I plan on going through a company to have the harness made, and am still feeling out my options for the gas tank/pump (open to suggestions, I would prefer something that will bolt right in). The interior still needs to be completed, but it currently has buckets from a 05 trailblazer in it.

The truck still needs quite a bit of work (driveshaft, bed finished up, etc.) but I am more than happy with my purchase.

I'm planning on building this truck to drive, that's what they are for! I love the LSx swaps, the older body styles are unmatched and with an updated drivetrain, I can use this truck as my daily driver, and I am excited to get started on the project.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Indian113

Nice looking truck,I used a fuel cell in my S10 and a Speedway LS fuel pump and regulator. The pump is a little noisy but seems to work fine,I've put a 1000 miles on my S10 since I got it running. Come on over to the LS part of the board and you'll meet som real smart guy's that can answer any ? you have. Ray
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Denee007

Omg! It's beautiful !!!
Posted via Mobile Device
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Totally agree. That color is just fantastic.

"Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery" - and I am NOT above being very flattering, lol!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
56SS

I actually bought the truck with this paint on it, and the color is what sealed the deal for me! I believe I mentioned in my other post, but the color is Avocado Pearl, a House of Kolors color, and it looks very nice in person. I'll have to upload some more pictures here in the next few days
Old 02-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
blue57

Thats a hell of a start you have got yourself. Most of us start with a rust bucket or someone elses turd I used Street & Performances wiring harness. They are in Arkansas. Really clean harness. Where is your tank located? Mine is in the rear of the frame and i used a fuel pump thats an inline pump used in vettes as well as the fuel filter.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
56SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue57 View Post
Thats a hell of a start you have got yourself. Most of us start with a rust bucket or someone elses turd I used Street & Performances wiring harness. They are in Arkansas. Really clean harness. Where is your tank located? Mine is in the rear of the frame and i used a fuel pump thats an inline pump used in vettes as well as the fuel filter.
Haha, you're telling me! I couldn't be happier with what I'm starting with. I have heard of a couple of guys running their harness, how are they on prices?

I don't have a tank set up yet, but a friend of mine has a 02 silverado tank, with the in-tank fuel pump and sending unit that he is giving me for free, so I am leaning towards trying to mount that under the bed so I can plug it straight in and be good to go. I'm just bouncing ideas around and trying to determine what I'm going to go with.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
blue57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56SS View Post
Haha, you're telling me! I couldn't be happier with what I'm starting with. I have heard of a couple of guys running their harness, how are they on prices?

I don't have a tank set up yet, but a friend of mine has a 02 silverado tank, with the in-tank fuel pump and sending unit that he is giving me for free, so I am leaning towards trying to mount that under the bed so I can plug it straight in and be good to go. I'm just bouncing ideas around and trying to determine what I'm going to go with.
Not sure about the silverado tank working.... you can buy an aftermarket tank that bolts where the spare tire is supposed to go. Cant remember the price for the harness i would have to dig for the receipt. It wasnt to bad though.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #12
56SS

Hey all,

Got a chance to work on the truck today! My grandpa, who has been a car guy his whole life, came out to give me a hand and guide me. We managed to get the steering situation worked out (or so I thought) and shortened the camaro intermediate shaft to fit my column. With some grinding and cutting, we made it work. Come to find out that my turn radius when turning the wheel to the left is not quite right (doesn't go far enough) but right side is good.

The front wheel is off in the pics because I took it off to let a friend gauge tire sizes for the 34 pickup he is building.

I also cleaned up and organized some things, but my wiring harness for the engine comes Tuesday, so that is the big update I have so far!

Trying to get to the point where I can fill up my "blank canvas" (interior).
Attached Images