The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #326
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
hey dug, before you go for it with the trailing arms check to see if your upper spring mounts will line up close enough. if it is just an inch maybe you will be lucky, too much and the coil springs won't line up. may cause binding or squeaks etc later on. also check to see if the rubber jounce stop will be ok, maybe have to move that as well. if you just extend the lowers it will put the pinion angle out of whack.
haven't done anything on my old truck since feb. maybe gonna dust it off this weekend. gotta fab a cab extension for the pass side.
All good points. Took a look at it and it appears to be a legit thing to do, however, I am not bold enough to take it on. Kind of looking forward to the bed shortening exercise. Finally unboxed my new hood hinges yesterday and installed them in my attempt to line up all the sheet metal (front to back). Can't seem to get the driver side to properly seat into place after putting substantial spacers behind both hinge faces. This is my challenge today.

Bro-in-law Bruce sent me a period correct California black on yellow license plate the other day so the truck can enjoy a bit of its' heritage. Tossed in a handful of vintage Hot August Nights (Reno) medallions as well.

Also, included a picture of the dead Trailblazer SS with 6.0 LS that will be donating its' drive train to someone's new project.
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #327
ricott

That TB was the recipient of a serious T-Bone! I'm sure you thought about it, but why don't you get the fuel lines from the TB SS for your truck. It would save a lot of time.
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #328
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
That TB was the recipient of a serious T-Bone! I'm sure you thought about it, but why don't you get the fuel lines from the TB SS for your truck. It would save a lot of time.
Man, good thing one of us is thinking. This is now on the TB SS "To Do" list. Thanks. dug
Old 06-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #329
Kim57

I'm sure what ever you do will turn out to be real nice on the bed.
Are you sure that TB/SS is only a 6.0.
I got my LS out of an 07 TB/SS and it's a 6.2.
Kim
Old 06-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #330
ricott

I posted this on another build, but thought you may be interested in side mirrors. I have been looking at mirrors for the last several weeks to find an electric set that would look good on the truck - after stretching my body to adjust the mirrors on the GTO, the truck's had to be electric. I have seen Honda and Lexus models that have mirrors that appear to work (bolted to the door skin from below), then I saw tbrown5079 - "56 Cameo Build" build with some side Mirrors from a 944 Porsche. See his post 94 and 103. The installation sure looks slick. The 944 mirrors can be had for about $150.00. I also looked at an article about installing Porsche Teardrop mirrors from a Porsche 968 on a Porsche 944 - looks to be a direct swap between those two models, thus the 968 mirrors would work on your truck. Of course the 968 Mirrors are app $500.00 a pair! I'll try and help you spend your money - because you are a lot closer to needing side mirrors than me!!!

Ricky
Old 06-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #331
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
I'm sure what ever you do will turn out to be real nice on the bed.
Are you sure that TB/SS is only a 6.0.
I got my LS out of an 07 TB/SS and it's a 6.2.
Kim
Just assumed it. 6.2 sounds even better. Cant wait to dive into it. Dug
Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #332
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
I posted this on another build, but thought you may be interested in side mirrors. I have been looking at mirrors for the last several weeks to find an electric set that would look good on the truck - after stretching my body to adjust the mirrors on the GTO, the truck's had to be electric. I have seen Honda and Lexus models that have mirrors that appear to work (bolted to the door skin from below), then I saw tbrown5079 - "56 Cameo Build" build with some side Mirrors from a 944 Porsche. See his post 94 and 103. The installation sure looks slick. The 944 mirrors can be had for about $150.00. I also looked at an article about installing Porsche Teardrop mirrors from a Porsche 968 on a Porsche 944 - looks to be a direct swap between those two models, thus the 968 mirrors would work on your truck. Of course the 968 Mirrors are app $500.00 a pair! I'll try and help you spend your money - because you are a lot closer to needing side mirrors than me!!!

Ricky
Who needs mirrors...i am only looking forward anyway.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #333
dug224

Took the front clip back off and leveled up the frame and started over. Turns out I had the small "L" bracket flipped where the inner fender is mounted to the cab. Threw everything off a bit.

Work included installing the hood which we tried to make hard. After deciding it fit satisfactorily, I proceeded to install the hood latch only to find that the little tab that holds the coil spring had broken off and was replaced by a nut and bolt....which interfered with the operation of the latch. After 45 minutes figuring this out and 5 minutes welding on a new tab, the latch operated like new much to my surprise. Note the penny I used to keep from welding the latch together. The penny is actually where the bolt head was that interfered with the operation.

Discovered the old floor jack spring expansion technique on the internet while trying to decide if my new hood hinges were ok. Latch the spring onto the floor jack and spread it to the desired length. Fill the gaps with shims. Install the spring on hinge and when you close the hood, the shims supposed to fall out. In my case, we had to yank them out. What a time and life saver.

Body gaps are way better than expected. Will tighten all body panel bolts tomorrow and attempt align the bed. Also installed the tailgate to square up the bed.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #334
dug224

...a few more shots. Tailgate and hood gaps.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #335
dsraven

Smile Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

wow, that looks good. never seen that hood spring/door shim thing before. musta been a hotrodder who figured that out. more brains than bucks, ha ha.
I finally found a day and a half to work on my truck. trying to fab up a new cab extension panel for the pass side. I would snap a few pics except the wife has the camera, the tablet etc etc. could use my phone I guess.
anyway, your truck is really coming along and I can't believe those gaps, way closer than my truck.
keep at'er
dennis
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #336
dsraven

there are little rubber buttons that go on the fender against the hood, correct? are yours in?
Old 06-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #337
dsraven

just a note, be careful doing that floor jack manoever, if it was me I'd probably end up with some black paint on my teeth somehow when the jack pad came off, ha ha
Old 06-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #338
dug224

Quote:
there are little rubber buttons that go on the fender against the hood, correct? are yours in?
No...nor are the rubber stops at the top of the hood. The ones across the front lip are in place. Will buy a fresh set before final alignment and install. May have to open the gaps a bit to fit that stuff.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #339
dug224

Shot of the truck with mufflers and bed. Running an errand in the neighborhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTsg...ature=youtu.be

Video of the truck quietly idling and hood operation. Gotta watch your front teeth when opening the hood. It is well lubricated and opens quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xay...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #340
dug224

Quote:
just a note, be careful doing that floor jack manoever, if it was me I'd probably end up with some black paint on my teeth somehow when the jack pad came off, ha ha
Those aren't my hands....tricked Jim into loading the spring with shims. I'm just the camera guy.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #341
_Ogre

a quick way to install or remove the hood springs is to use a loop of rope a foot long
hook the loop on the spring end and pull, the end will come out with out scratching any paint
reverse the procedure going in.
one end in the hinge with a rope loop on the other end, pull back and have a second person push the end into the slot
30 seconds per side max
in my prime i could install them by myself, not any more

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #342
dsraven

just watched he youtube, then there was another one there with your son driving and no box or mufflers. I knew he was gonna try the burnout thing. I was just siting here watching and realized I had a smile from ear to ear. cool how that brings back memories from my early days when the neighbours watched me doing burnouts and stuff out front on the street. well, except for one old guy who only allowed a few test runs before the shotgun would appear, cradled across his arms as a warning as he stood at the end of his drive, ha ha. we still talk about him and if he woulda actually given a warning shot across the bow or just take out a rad or something.....
great to see your truck running, did you decide if you are going to lengthen the rear trailing arms or do some creative bodywork?
wish my truck was as good condition as yours is. I am starting with a glove box door and working my way out, ha ha.
just wondering if you plan on using the headrests on the seats or if they will hit the rear window. that is one reason I am extending the cab on mine.
dennis
Old 06-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #343
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Man, if your truck were mine I wouldn't think of painting it for a long time!!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #344
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Man, if your truck were mine I wouldn't think of painting it for a long time!!
The better it runs the less I want to take it back apart and paint it. Maybe I will reconsider the whole painting thing and slap a clear coat on. Next job is to move the rear wheel opening.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #345
dug224

Quote:
just watched he youtube, then there was another one there with your son driving and no box or mufflers. I knew he was gonna try the burnout thing. I was just siting here watching and realized I had a smile from ear to ear. cool how that brings back memories from my early days when the neighbours watched me doing burnouts and stuff out front on the street. well, except for one old guy who only allowed a few test runs before the shotgun would appear, cradled across his arms as a warning as he stood at the end of his drive, ha ha. we still talk about him and if he woulda actually given a warning shot across the bow or just take out a rad or something.....
great to see your truck running, did you decide if you are going to lengthen the rear trailing arms or do some creative bodywork?
wish my truck was as good condition as yours is. I am starting with a glove box door and working my way out, ha ha.
just wondering if you plan on using the headrests on the seats or if they will hit the rear window. that is one reason I am extending the cab on mine.
dennis
That was me doing the one wheel burnout. Would not let my son spin the tires yet.

Will move the wheel opening rather than do the trailing arms. Need body work practice.

Headrests will not hit the glass. To insure this, I probably need to move the brake and gas pedals closer to the floor and maybe even make the foot well deeper so I can move the seat up. The pedals are a bit unnaturally high. Don't really like the headrests but do like my neck. They are less obtrusive than some of the seats I have seen filling a big window. I can always store them when parked if I ever get it complete enough to do a cruise-in.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #346
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
a quick way to install or remove the hood springs is to use a loop of rope a foot long
hook the loop on the spring end and pull, the end will come out with out scratching any paint
reverse the procedure going in.
one end in the hinge with a rope loop on the other end, pull back and have a second person push the end into the slot
30 seconds per side max
in my prime i could install them by myself, not any more
Great advice. Already scratched the springs and was wondering how to avoid it in final assembly. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #347
Kim57

Truck sure looks good all together.
Kim
Old 06-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #348
Advanced Design

Dug the truck looks great!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:40 AM   #349
dug224

Got the front clip and cab leveled. Had to shim the front and back right corners about 3/16" and the front left core support about 5/16". Tightened all the sheet metal bolts which ultimately tightened up all the gaps..... maybe a bit too much. Still looks pretty straight. Re-hung the passenger door several hundred times and finally got it to a point that proves to me I can get it to a final position after several hundred more hangings. By the way, both doors are a different color than the cab so they did not come on the truck...not that they would have been any straighter. I will definitely be adding and subtracting door edge material to get the gaps right.

Was going to weld a stud onto the body line on both sides in the front and back so I could pull a string and establish the body alignment. Decided to utilize the existing holes in the fenders and bed sides instead. Used a bolt and bushing. Worked nicely. The only problem I am having is seeing the door. The body line in the door is not quite as crisp. Also, the bed is about 1/4" wider than cab (1/8" on each side). Jim pointed out that I can probably pull it in by loosening the bed front bolts and pulling the sides to towards the middle.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #350
ricott

Your truck looks so good with all the sheetmetal on it! And even better that it moves under its own power. Plates, taillights and a windshield and you could drive it without worrying that you were going to turn the corner and see the local police.
Now that you have the truck mostly assembled, what is the ground to rocker measurement at the front of the door?