The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2008, 12:52 AM   #1
Bruce88

It’s Just A Pickup

Where to start, I guess at the beginning sort of. First I would like to share my rebuild with you and of course get feedback, suggestions and help in all those questions that seem to come up that I lack knowledge about. Plus keep a running log of what’s being accomplished to include parts installed.

As for the name of this rebuild (It’s Just A Pickup) it all started over a year ago with my neighbor and many conversations we have had about how the truck should be rebuilt. He being younger than me an older back yard mechanic and how the rebuild would be more of a vanilla stile of rebuild rather than wild and custom show quality. Not to say that it will be pure stock configuration it will have some personal innovations and some old school approach to some improvements. The neighbor is still excited about the build and wanting to help and learn when time permits.

I’ve been gathering parts for over a year, along with researching and gathering information from this forum and other web sites. Thanks to all, yes you can teach a older backyard mechanic new tricks. A special thanks to all that have taken the time to post the How To’s. I thought that I would give it try myself and it’s a lot of work. You can see my attempt in the FAQ section of this forum title (V Belt Pulley Alignment 101) let me know what you think. Note just finished putting the engine together and took the pictures for the How To, will be posting pictures of complete engine in next post on this thread.

The rebuild started over 6 months ago and I’ve been taking some pictures along the way and winter has come along the rebuild will slow down. So I will take this time to sort thru the pictures and get to play around with Photoshop (self taught) crop, size and organize along with text generation for this build thread. Yes I know I’m rather slow with 1 day work on the truck equates to 2 – 3 days rest/recovery due to physical limitations and pain but I will plug along because I enjoy it. I’ll apologize up front that my spelling and grammar is pore and a spelling & grammar checker can only help so much so don’t expect to much or fast response.

I bought the 1972 Chevy C10 short bed step side pickup in Dec 1998 for hauling and yard work around the house with the possible customizing after I retired, it came with a spare stripped cab that had a lot less rust and damage than the one on the truck. I’ve rebuilt the front suspension with 2-1/2 in drop spindles and sway bar in the front, 4 in drop springs and sway bar in the rear and replace the sparkplug wires all the other modifications that will be listed below where accomplished by prior owners. The truck never failed to start and run but burned oil and had small engine and automatic transmission oil leaks.

Color - dark green with black bumpers and black color over fender wells and lower panels (There is no identification labels in the glove box to indicate its color from the factory and this color does not match standard factory colors. The closest color is a fleet/industrial color dark green it reminds me of a forest ranger truck color.)

Engine - 350 V8 It appears that this engine was equipped with an exhaust air pump that has been removed and the intake manifold has been replaced with an Edelbrock Streetmaster manifold toped with a Holly 4 barrel carburetor.

Exhaust - dual exhaust with an “H” tube

Trans - Turbo 350 Automatic Transmission column shift (Worn linkage some times you have to jiggle/hunt to get it into drive.)

Differential - 12 bolt with 3.08 to 1 non-lock gears

Suspension - Front coil springs with sway bar. Rear coil springs with sway bar

Brakes - Power brakes with front disc and rear drum

Steering - Power Steering

Towing - Home made or shop made tow hitch that will not accommodate a spar tire mount

Damage - Front bumper, grill and right front fender have been hit and are not reparable. Right inner fender is rusted thru in the front area. Radiator core support rusted thru in the bottom area. Hood has a 8 in diameter dent in front area. Front window is cracked. Cab floor panels, rocker panels, rear corner panels and more rusted thru. Bed wood floor rotted out, the rest of the bed body panels have minor dents.

Most of the rebuild is going to take place in a 13-1/2 foot by 21-1/2 foot garage attached to a two car garage filled with cars. I have a good assortment of the standard tools and a few specialty tools. Also to help during the winter months a small kerosene heater to brake the chill.

Now that I’ve bored you with a wall of text it’s time for some pictures. I always enjoy seeing the pictures and they are some times more informative than the writing. I will try to include as may pictures as possible in future posts.
Name:  Start-PU-1.jpg
Views: 48940
Size:  80.5 KB

Name:  Start-PU-2.jpg
Views: 48934
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  Start-PU-3.jpg
Views: 48726
Size:  75.1 KB
Bruce88 is offline   Reply With Quote