The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
jrblanke

Finally starting my engine swap project: 5.3/4L60e into '84 short bed 2wd

Well, I have finally started my 5.3/4L65e swap into my 84 Silverado short bed 2wd. The donor vehicle is a wrecked 2006 chevy trailblazer (TB).
The end goal is to Have a dependable, fuel efficient, good looking truck that I can both drive to work, or take on trips w/ the wife.

Background:
• The TB has 97315 miles on it and has the L33 (all aluminum) engine.
• The previous owner added some SLP long tube headers and had it dyno tuned (DOD turned off). He was planning to do a cam swap before the accident, but did not get to it. I was able to get some head gaskets, head bolts, lifter valley cover, plastic lifter holders, LS7 lifters, and an LS2 cam from the previous owner. After doing some reading, I don’t think I’ll use the that LS2 cam.
• The 4L65e has a Trans-go HD 2 shift kit, Sonnax billet 2nd gear accumulator, and Corvette servo.
• My truck has about 120K miles on it, and was mostly unmodified until I got it a couple years ago. It has mostly sat for the past 2 years while I got my house and started life in the “real world” haha. I put a 5” drop on the front using 3” spindles and cut springs. And a 4 inch drop on the rear using the shackle/hanger kit.

I would like the truck running by December 31st of this year (or else I will owe my two co-workers 10 dollars each, haha).

Here is my truck:

And the TB:

Plans:
Been doing a LOT of reading and planning. For the most part, I am planning to mirror Glock’s project Fred by using #2 adapter plates.

I am on the fence about the AC compressor position. If I can use my factory compressor on a high mount bracket, I might be tempted to buy the high mount bracket. If I have to buy a new compressor and pulleys to run the high mount, I’ll just keep the compressor low and hope it doesn’t go bad any time soon, haha.

Wiring: I am planning to ship my wire harness/computer out to be reworked. It is the most time effective way to get this done.

Fuel system: I am still unsure of which fuel pump I should order. I know I want in tank pumps but I am unsure of what type. I am also not sure of which fuel injection rated lines I am going to go with. I am going to go with the most affordable but dependable option. Need to read more about this. I’ll be replacing my current tanks/sending units with 1987 style tanks. I also know I’ll also need the switch valve from JC whitney, and the 1999 corvette fuel/regulator since the fuel rails on the engine fuel rails do not have a return line. Again, I have not figured out the fittings/fuel line situation.

Trans: I’ll be converting the trans from a 4wd to a 2wd. Should not be too difficult. (You tube will be my friend, haha).

Engine: On the fence about a cam swap. If I do one, I will eliminate the DOD stuff (as I said, I already have what I think is most of the parts to eliminate it) and go with about a 212/218 on 112 cam. Main goal is mileage and a little more power. From what I have read, that cam seems to be pretty good. If I can find a good used one, that might be the way I go.
jrblanke is offline   Reply With Quote