The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #751
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Another one makes it home. Ahhhh
Almost...
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #752
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very cool and congrats to you again! That's cool how the body is red too. Sure beats staring at grey or patchy gel coat during the build.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #753
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

After this last trip I have almost 300 more pics to post up. I still have some from before that I didn't get up yet, so I better get started.

The previous bunch was mainly in ND. Here's a few from MN on the way back from there. These were around a shop and I can't remember exactly where it was now. Nobody was home.

At one of the post offices I was working at, they had this old mail bag hanging over the counter. The post master said they found it just like that in one of the storage rooms, brand new, never used. It's been a long time I think since they were used.

There is a newer shop west of Detroit Lakes that is big into selling old iron. They had a nice inventory.

Lucky guy got a cool plate...

My friend Mike is a shop teacher up north. He built this 250 at school for one of his trucks. It sounds pretty wicked for a 6 banger.

This was at the shop in Olivia that I've mentioned before.

Looks like a cougar inside...

This next set is of a parts truck I picked up for Mike. He recently bought a square body C-30 without a bed. It was a farm truck and had a big tank or something mounted to it. He found it at a junkyard for $500 and it ran and drove pretty decent. He wanted a bed though and said it didn't need to be great, so I did some looking around. This one was right in town here and I had talked to the owner about a year ago about getting the front sheetmetal. We agreed on a deal but I didn't hear back from him, life moved on and I didn't get it. It was still sitting there though and I caught the owner at home. We struck a deal for the whole truck, $125. We swapped the bed onto Mikes C-30, we pulled the steering box and front sway bar off to use on my son's stepper and Mike hauled the rest home. Some decent parts still left. That rear bumper was nice but not the style I want for my 79 crewcab.

Maybe it does work, this truck had some rust but really not as bad as many I have seen.

Mikes truck with the new bed...

Mega-porch progress from a few weeks back. Coming along, starting to really look like something...

That's it for now. Enjoy

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-19-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #754
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice work on the mega porch Mike!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-18-2017, 09:08 AM   #755
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Last month we went to the "Back to the 50's" car show in St Paul. It's the biggest show in the state and gets around 10-12,000 cars during the event. But it's limited to 1964 and older vehicles. So the variety is limited. This was really my first or second time just going to walk the show, usually I go on sunday for the swap meet and maybe see a few of the cars that are still remaining. There was some nice stuff to see, but I like the mix of old and new of the street machine summer nationals better. That show was last weekend but I worked on my porch and in the garage instead of going. Anyway, I only took a few pics there.

This one is similar to the Olds I have tucked away for a future project.

Never seen one of these before...

Saw this one after the show heading home...

For sale...

One morning I was heading north and stopped for something to drink. This truck rolled through and I saw that it pulled into some feed store or something across the way. I had to have a closer look. Reminded me of Smokey and the Bandit.

Sorry about the darkness, it was morning and the sun wasn't cooperating...

I would love to find one of these as a cruiser someday.

Or even one of these...

This micro-beast was at a body shop across the street from one of my inspections. I have a 280ZX but the earlier versions are so much better looking. I'd trade in a heartbeat. This one is set up for full racing and looks like it'll be fun as hell to drive.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #756
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I may be committing sacrilege on a Chevy board, but love the Datsun 240Z!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #757
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That is a wicked looking Datsun! Have any idea what the cage tube sticking through the rockers are for? My first guess was a training wheel/speed indicator but that probably isn't right.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #758
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I may be committing sacrilege on a Chevy board, but love the Datsun 240Z!
We're all car/truck guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
That is a wicked looking Datsun! Have any idea what the cage tube sticking through the rockers are for? My first guess was a training wheel/speed indicator but that probably isn't right.
I think it's a jack point.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #759
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Time to post some more pics!

I stopped at the classic car place in Watertown on my way home again. Some of these cars may have been posted before. I can't remember them all. Especially as I get older. This little honda I took pics of so I have a guide for the one I have in the garage that is missing a few parts.

I've had a few chances over the years to buy a decent scout. Not as nice as this one, but decent.

I like the color...

Gold/gold firebird convertible?! Hell yeah I'd love to have that!

Why am I fascinated by tiny cars?

Damn nice squares...

I imagine people thought this looked futuristic and fast and edgy back in the day.

Here's an interesting custom. Like a camino but not really. It looked like it was well done. I'd drive it...

The car was not hooked up to the camper...

But...

A few weeks ago I was in the junkyard by Amboy. He doesn't sell many parts now, mostly just a scrap yard now, but it's all for sale. He just doesn't have much time for pulling parts. That's why some of these trucks are nearly complete with drive trains.

He said someone wanted to buy the frame for this one. The bed is pretty decent.

Hard to see but he had a couple of these old fuel delivery trucks back in the grass and shrubs...

Quite a few old grain trucks spread around the place too...

Short bed square body. The only parts missing were the grill and radiator and some interior things. He said he might have the title for this one.

Classic RV. This place has everything. And I mean that. If it was made of metal it could probably be found out in the woods.

A friend of mine has an old CJ3A. I don't think he would find anything he needs from this one.

These have been here a while...

Don't see these everyday. At least not around here, unless your this guy. Then you could see it every day. Walmart parking lot...

I had my yukon in the shop to get a rusted brake line replaced. Sometimes it's better to pay someone to do your nasty jobs. He had a couple nice cars in for work when I was picking mine up.

A few days after that we were on the next road trip to get my kit car in Mass. Pics to follow.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-25-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #760
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This may bore a bunch of people since it's just pics from my vacation road trip. On fb I called it "Operation Cobra Snatch" because that's what the trips purpose was. My son and I hooked up the cobra hauler to the back of the Denali and hit the road to the NE USA. It was the first time for me being anywhere NE of Ohio. It wasn't anything like I expected.

For us flat-landers in flyover country, we think of the NE as a giant urban sprawl. I honestly expected it to be way more developed than what we saw, which was a LOT of forests. Even around places like Boston and NYC there is woods until you get closer to the city. Oh and you guys have way too many toll roads. Cripes I think I spent almost as much on tolls as gas. And they need to put more of that money into fixing those roads because in New York, holy crap, the roads were rough. I can understand why nobody would want to drive a lowered car/truck or classic of any kind really on those roads. I watched my trailer get airborne more than once in the rearview mirror hitting some of the obstacles. And that was with the car loaded on it!

The trip went great though. No issues with the truck or trailer. We got to see a few things along the way, which I'll share with you now.

We didn't stop anywhere on the first day except for gas and food. We got to Indiana somewhere for the night. The next day we were going through Cleveland so we went to the Rock N Roll HOF.

Johnny Cash's tour bus is parked out front...

The inside wasn't all that impressive by todays standards. I think they said it cost him about $250,000 to get it customized and it was nice, but not like you would find now.

This was Junes room, his queen...

Part of the Johnny Cash display inside the HOF...

Elvis road a trike...

The Les Paul display was really cool. They had a bunch of the early instruments he built. He was a really good guitarist also, probably way better than most people realize. They played videos from old TV shows he did and I think he would keep up just fine with the metal guitarists of today. I just imagined the sound with a new amp turned up to 11 and set to grunge mode. Not on these instruments here of course, but who knows, the guy was a genius.

Bo Diddleys guitar...

We saw a lot more than that but you really need to go yourself and experience it. That done, we hit the road again. Next stop, Niagara Falls.

The view would be better from the Canadian side but the boy doesn't have a passport so we stayed on the New York side. We spent the night in the finger lakes area of New York. The next day we didn't really have a big tourist site in mind but the boy wanted to hit as many states as possible, so we took a scenic route. It was nice just getting off the toll ways. If I had more time I would have avoided them as much as possible. Not because of the cost, but because you just don't see anything from them. It's just a highway through the forest for mile after mile. Get off the freeway and see the towns, the yards with junk around them, all the cool stuff is along the back roads.

We kept heading east, went through Vermont, New Hampshire and into Maine. We drove around Portsmouth for awhile until we found a spot where we could see the Atlantic. It was an old fort and a pretty cool stop.

This Fort McClary...

We ate dinner in Portsmouth, then headed south. This is Boston I believe and the nuttiest drivers we saw the entire trip.

We got a hotel about a half hour drive from our end goal of Factory Five in Wareham, MA. The next morning was the big day. Gonna snatch that cobra and haul it home.

Welcome to Factory Five Racing...

View from the cockpit, my first time ever...

I fit! It is something that goes through your mind, buying a kit car that you have never sat in or driven. The pedals are little close together but not too bad. I'll get used to it.

They have a cut-away car that was pretty cool. I video taped it so I can refer to it later as I'm building mine.

This is the new 818 car that is supposed to be their cheapest one to build. It looks pretty cool and fun. I think it uses subaru drivetrain stuff but I can't remember for sure.

This is the GTM which is based on the looks of the GT40. The boy sat in one in the showroom and said it was almost impossible for him to get in and out of it. He's a little bigger than me. We both had thought about building one someday but maybe not now. Cool and fast, but IDK. Maybe that 818 is a better choice.

This is the Daytona and could be another future build for me. Who knows? I'm not dead yet.

There's my car, coming off the rack...

The cobra hauler awaits...

Strapped down and ready to go home...

On my way...

More to come from the trip home. Hopefully not too long from now. Time is not in abundance lately. It's become unobtainium with everything I've had going on.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #761
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Interesting trip.

I bought the build manual for a Factory Five Cobra back in the late 90's. I think it was $50 at that time. I had every intention of building one when I retired in '98 but I ended up buying a '57 Ford Retractable Hardtop instead. I really like the Cobra's. Post up your build in the "Alternate Tinkerings" forum on here when you get started.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #762
flashed

Great road trip ,been to most of the same places except Factory Five ,never been there .When we went to the Rock Hall Of Fame they really frowned on the use of cameras inside so we got no pics . We did get to park our Chevelle's in front for a great photo op though .One guy ,a cop from New York did a nice burn out in front .About 100 Chevelles there I guess .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:46 PM   #763
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #764
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I don't see a frame on the Cobra, are you gonna build your own? Looks like an awesome road trip. I always riding with ya...thanks!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #765
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice trip and cool stops along the way! I'd love to get to Niagra Falls. I wonder how rough of a ride it is in those ferry boats? I bet walking into FFR was like Christmas morning for you! Have you shared what power plant you're thinking of going with yet? Colors? When we were in the Lake of the Ozarks a guy was tooling around in a really healthy one. It really makes me want one but that will have to wait a good while. Haha
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #766
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Interesting trip.

I bought the build manual for a Factory Five Cobra back in the late 90's. I think it was $50 at that time. I had every intention of building one when I retired in '98 but I ended up buying a '57 Ford Retractable Hardtop instead. I really like the Cobra's. Post up your build in the "Alternate Tinkerings" forum on here when you get started.

LockDoc
Planned on it. You could still build one yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Great road trip ,been to most of the same places except Factory Five ,never been there .When we went to the Rock Hall Of Fame they really frowned on the use of cameras inside so we got no pics . We did get to park our Chevelle's in front for a great photo op though .One guy ,a cop from New York did a nice burn out in front .About 100 Chevelles there I guess .
That would have been a cool sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I don't see a frame on the Cobra, are you gonna build your own? Looks like an awesome road trip. I always riding with ya...thanks!
The body is on the chassis. Full tube frame.

Quote:
Very nice trip and cool stops along the way! I'd love to get to Niagra Falls. I wonder how rough of a ride it is in those ferry boats? I bet walking into FFR was like Christmas morning for you! Have you shared what power plant you're thinking of going with yet? Colors? When we were in the Lake of the Ozarks a guy was tooling around in a really healthy one. It really makes me want one but that will have to wait a good while. Haha
The ferry boat ride looked pretty chill from up top but very wet. Everyone had on rain gear. Would need water proof cameras for sure.

At first I was thinking about making it all wheel drive with a V-6 eco-boost. But something like that may have to wait for another build. So now I'm set on the new 5.0 coyote V-8 with 6 speed manual. As for color, going blue, but I want it to be a little different than standard so it'll have a unique finish.

This car is pretty much what I'm going to do. This is in the booth and hasn't been cleared yet. It has a metallic sheen like a pearl blue over silver. Top it with a satin clear and drool.

My likely wheel choice...

Again, something different, although I have seen one cobra with these wheels. I don't have anything against the halibrand replicas and actually had them on my order to begin with, but 95% of the cobras have them and I want a more modern look to the car.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #767
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That will make a sweet Cobra! When I was a young'n I had the exotic/muscle car trading cards and my favorite one was a 67 Cobra that was blue with white stripes. I built a few models like that too. I'm sure yours will be cool. There was one for sale about 45 miles away from me for $30 k that had a real 427 in it. Man, if I only won the lottery.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #768
Indian113

I can't help but think a 5.0 w/6 speed would be a Blast to Drive. I am anxious to see this Beauty get on the Road.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #769
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I have a little time this morning to post a few more pics from Operation Cobra Snatch. After we loaded up we headed west. We pulled off the freeway in Connecticut so I could have some New England clam chowder. It was just as we came up on a traffic jam, so we missed that mess. Not long after that we were cruising through the Bronx.

And coming up on the George Washington bridge.

And into NJ.

Theres a tunnel through the mountain.

In PA, there is a series of similar tunnels. It's pretty cool going through. If I was on my KZ I would have downshifted and let it scream all the way through. We stopped in SW PA for the night. The next day we took the cobra for a visit here...

Took my race car to the race track!
Old 08-29-2017, 05:59 PM   #770
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

On the last sentence! How was the clam chowder? I like me some of that for sure!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-29-2017, 11:33 PM   #771
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
On the last sentence! How was the clam chowder? I like me some of that for sure!
I think the track has a requirement for whells and tires...

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #772
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Good! What else would you expect? I found this place out in the woods that is mainly supported by the locals and summer traffic. The seating area was about the size of my kitchen. Looks like it's been there since the revolution. I probably couldn't find it again if I tried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I think the track has a requirement for whells and tires...
Well when I have wheels and tires I'll have to stop back by there and take some laps.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #773
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Some pics from the speedway. They have onehellofa display.

Bump caps, skid lids, brain buckets, helmets through the ages...

Cut-aways are cool

Just an old race car. Back when they still used a real car. I was looking at all the little things they did to make it smoother and old race tech.

A little more modern...

Slick...

Slicker. I remember reading about this car and the advertisements back in the day..

Slickest...

Most of those cars were driven by AJ Foyt. They had a big section of stuff dedicated to him going back to the beginning of his race career. Pretty damn impressive. The crashed car is one he obviously survived but with injuries.

It was definitely a high point for the trip and for me in general. Very cool place to visit. So was the next place though.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #774
Kim57

Very cool stuff.
Kim
Old 09-02-2017, 07:21 AM   #775
PaulJONES

Im kinda jealous that there are some people who can amazingly turn some other people's trashes into treasures. Your hands are magical. Hats off!