The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2014, 12:29 AM   #1
pat english

The 72 burb.Starting a collection...

Now i just need a blazer,longbed fleetside and a panel truck..jk.i just got this one today.my boss picked it up in Huntington beach.Another member might recognize this one.I guess they decided to start with something in better condition.ITS MINE NOW! wahooo.im really stoked to have 2 trucks now. living on the beach its whole life didn't help this one though.It has some serious rust issues.But it runs pretty good.I need to change the radiator out and maybe the power steering pump.Plans for this one for now is to just do the metal work and get some paint on it maybe lower it a little bit.(I might be doing something wild to my pickup now.we shall see)Enough talking,hers some pics:

pat english is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
pat english

Re: The 72 burb.Starting a collection...

Old 11-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
pat english

Old 11-10-2014, 01:15 AM   #4
hopped up

Wow! That's one of those super rare 3 door Burbans ! Lol! Nice truck man, as long as it's running good , just keep it on the road
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:20 AM   #5
pat english

Lol yeah rare..and a California car too..Thanks dude.yeah thats the plan.i really want to keep this one running so i can focus on my pickup.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
56HOTRODDER

Great looking suburban! You western guys really don't understand what a sheltered view You have of what rust is! If you can't figure out what your missing from the door handles down____ that's rusty! Thats a rust out free suburban in the northeast very nice keep it Rolling
56HOTRODDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
pat english

Hey thanks! yeah i guess we are spoiled.when i got the burb home,i really appreciated how straight and rust free my truck is.That's the plan.It took me most of the day to get the brake lights to work.it was just a fuse.lol.

Does any one know of any threads on repairing the kick panel and door pillar area?im not sure what all the pillars are called,but the part that the lower door hinge bolts onto is gone.Does anyone make a patch panel for this area or will i have to make this one myself?Any tips are appreciated.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
engairuph

Look on LMC trucks and it will break down panel names and pretty much are cheaper then other as far as parts. Got a 69 4wd 3dr suburban I'm putting together and have looked from coast to coast for parts. Good luck and good find.
engairuph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
pat english

right on.i checked out lmc.im thinking of deleting the rear air now.what do you guys think?bad move?i was thinking i could sell the rear air stuff for some cash to fix up the burb.i need a few parts to make it a reliable driver and im freakin broke for the next few months.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
engairuph

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by engairuph; 12-07-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Must be a Premium member to post a WTB
Old 11-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
pat english

ok cool i sent you a pm

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

PM sales are also against board rules.

Last edited by LockDoc; 11-15-2014 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Must be a Premium member to sell items on the board
Old 11-15-2014, 01:51 AM   #12
pat english

Right on.sorry about that.that wasnt my intention.i really was looking for opinions.ive been thinking of getting premium account.i have a bunch of stuff that i should sell..thanks for the warning,
Pat
Old 11-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
paul mora

Pat the man that had the suburban used i as his work truck and loved it for years. He actually bought another Burd that we repainted new uphosterly basically make look just like the one you bought. I wouldnt sell the rear air I would just put it back together and if you ever want it you would have it. It is hard keeting the rear of those cool in hot days.

Keep posting the photos

Paul
Old 11-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #14
pat english

Right on.yeah i went to guys shop again this week.I seen the other white one up on the lift.That burb is pretty nice.My wife and nieghbor said the same thing about the rear air.
im guna rob the radiator and trans cooler from the truck to get the burb on the road and im going to use a manual steering box on it for now.The power steering is jacked on this one.I need new lines for sure,possibly a new pump.Im hoping to get that done today.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:32 AM   #15
pat english

well i "fixed" the power steering.The belt was loose.I also used the radiator and trans cooler from my truck.It still leaks though.It has the wrong hose on it.so the radiator and cooler that was originally on the burb might be ok.im guna leave the truck radiator in the burb anyway.i need to get the 4 row for my truck.I have monday off so ill get the correct radiator hose and do a tune up.i gotta start driving this to work.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:36 AM   #16
pat english

and i searched lmc,i couldnt find the patch panel i need,ill open the door in the morning and take a pic.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #17
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat english View Post
and i searched lmc,i couldnt find the patch panel i need,ill open the door in the morning and take a pic.

You may have to get the patch panels from a parts truck. I'm thinking they are not available. They come out with new replacement parts every day so it never hurts to check.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #18
engairuph

Quote:
Originally Posted by engairuph View Post

You also have to have permission from???? Been trying to sell a couple of parts on here and they get deleted by Adminstration.

69 4x4 Suburban PTO winch(NAVY)
13 GMC Ext cab
12 Ford Fusion SE(wife)

MAI
Interior shop
Old 12-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #19
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
You may have to get the patch panels from a parts truck. I'm thinking they are not available. They come out with new replacement parts every day so it never hurts to check.

LockDoc
yeah thats what i was thinking too.i scouted a couple trucks in the junk yard,but no burbs.i was thinking i could take what i need from a pickup all the way up to the drip rail.Then cut patches for the rot on the roof just above the rip rail.

Im finally working on the burb today so ill get better pics of the rot.i gotta change the radiator hose and do an oil change and this one will be a driver.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #20
pat english

Quote:
You also have to have permission from???? Been trying to sell a couple of parts on here and they get deleted by Adminstration.
maybe your posting in the wrong section?this is the burbs & panels project board.you need to post parts for sale in the for sale section.I just recently got the premium membership too.I havnt had any problems selling parts.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #21
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:

If you are a Premium member (name in blue) you don't have to have permission from anyone. None of the administrators delete for sale ads unless it is prohibited items or posted it the wrong forum. If you try to post pictures that are too big it won't let your ad post but no one deletes it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #22
pat english

Update on the burb.I got it running.Did a tune up and changed the radiator and trans cooler.
I drove it around town a bunch before i took it to work.When i got it up to about 50 mph it would swerve in the rear.kinda scary.
Here are some pics of the rear track bar bushings.They look blown out.I'm having trouble finding replacements.My boss might have the bushings but i need a part number.I cant find these bushing on rock auto or anywhere really.I went to auto zone and they have these bushings with a metal sleeve and says might need to be machined to fit.So That sounds wrong to me.Why would they sell a part that needs to be machined to be installed?Dont i just need some new rubber bushings?

Old 12-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #23
green723dr

LMC Truck sells them. I replaced the panhard bar bushings and trailing arm bushings and made a big difference in the ride.
green723dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #24
argonaut

Sweet burb. I would definitely find a donor roof section to weld in to get rid of the rust. Wish my old 64 burb had a third door like yours!

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #25
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
Sweet burb. I would definitely find a donor roof section to weld in to get rid of the rust. Wish my old 64 burb had a third door like yours!
Thanks.My wife pretty much claimed it so i gotta leave this one 2wd...But i ended out getting an A pillar with the roof section from "t korinek" here on the board.It was really cool.He cut the piece out of an old truck cab and brought it down to the big 3 swap in San Diego.My boss was heading down there so he picked up the part for me.nice relay
I also gave up on the original steering column(for now).I scored a tilt column from a 70's motorhome and installed it.It was pretty simple.I had to shorten the shaft from the column to the box,make a new shift linkage and i converted the blade style connector to the moon style so it would plug into the factory harness.Now all my lights work and i have the tilt.Its very comfortable.
Heres my baby driving.