The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

WIW section?

I was just going through the WIW area here on the board. I have a part I was trying to figure out the worth, but have no intentions of selling.

IMO that place just doesn't work. So many threads just sit with no answer. A lot of threads turn in to a sale right there, supposedly against the rules. To me maybe WIW should just go in the for sale areas. My guess is a majority of them aren't really WIW, just fishing expedition's anyway. I get that the rules in the for sale area require a price though ... I dunno, any better way to go about it?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: WIW section?

It really is a hit & miss area. I try to reply to them if I have even a good guess but some of the stuff I have no clue. I try to use the advanced search as much as possible but sometimes that just does not bring any hits. Whether it is just not typing in the right key words or just nothing available to bring up, I have no clue.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Maybe if it was a sticky at the top of the parts boards would be better. At least it will already be where people are going about parts. Since I've been here were have sliced and diced forums to better suit our needs and all we end up with is "I never go to that one", "everybody goes here so I posted here", " I didn't know we had that", or "I just come to this and that forum". Well use the scroll feature on the menu page and see what else is here and use it! Seems simple enough, but people do what they do.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
68bowtie

I have recommended that WIW posts be moved to the parts board for just that reason. It gets hardly any traffic. Each thread could have a field in the subject line for FS, WTB, or WIW just like the state listed in front. You need a premium subscription either way.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

I can't remember the last time I went to the WIW section.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Because people don't use the whole site and maybe not even know such a place exists, we get a lot of WIWs posted in the by the year truck boards. I think more WIWs get posted in the 67-72 message board than in WIW. And of course that means non-subscribers are able to slip one in, innocently or intentionally we can't tell. Another reason moving to the parts board makes sense. I said sticky but probably should be a sub-forum.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
I can't remember the last time I went to the WIW section.
Yea I forget it's there and maybe go to it once a month. I posted my truck in there a while back and didn't get any replies either
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
The Rocknrod

That's where threads go to die.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I have always put them in the parts areas. I forgot we stilleven had a WIW section

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

I never knew what WIW meant

Tim

Old 09-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #11
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I never knew what WIW meant
Its not women in wrestling? Bummer...

I try to help out in that section, but one problem I see is people say something like "I have a truck, what's it worth?" Limited information or description and few if any pics makes it so tough to throw out a number. You don't want to insult anyone. Seems easier to reply when someone has say, "a set of hubcaps I think is worth xxx dollars. What do you think?" At least then you know if you are on the same page as the poster.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #12
davischevy

I have a WIW.

What's my opinion worth?

I asked upstairs and the CEO says not much.

I agree, the WIW section is no mans land.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #13
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Sometimes its nice to get the opinions of others that are in to the same hobby as you are as to the value of parts and such. Its even more interesting because it comes from all parts of the country.

And of course you will always get the helpful answer of ... Its whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:08 PM   #14
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Sometimes its nice to get the opinions of others that are in to the same hobby as you are as to the value of parts and such. Its even more interesting because it comes from all parts of the country.

And of course you will always get the helpful answer of ... Its whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
You are right on all counts, and these are the reasons I'm here. For WIW.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:53 AM   #15
joedoh

Quote:

I dont agree with this, asking someone their opinion of value when they arent interested in buying can get dicey. people PAY for appraisals on things that are valuable, houses, cars, diamonds, etc. if I ask my neighbor what my house is worth, even living right next door, he wont know the first damn thing.

Quote:
I agree with this, even if you said it ironically or even just tongue-in-cheek. if you want to know what something is worth, look up previous items for sale on ebay, or google it. an asking price doesnt really equate to a selling price, and auction histories can account for nuances you arent aware of, but still its better than asking your cheering section what you can expect.

I am not singling out your post for any particular reason CG, its just the one that caught my eye.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:06 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

^^^ I think you are mixing your comparison up. Asking one uninterested party the value an item vs asking a large community of people familiar with these items who may or may not have interest are quite different situations. You get multiple answers to help form a value. The same thing happens looking at Ebay for values. You'll see the same item sell from $50-$150 because each sale varies. But you can figure it's worth somewhere in that range with $100 as the medium.

Another thing you are overlooking is there are many of us who are here to be helpful. That is actually what this site is about, a resource for help on these trucks. Those members feel a sense of community and fellowship with this group. Spending time here you get to know who the genuine people are and who is here for what. There are some who seem to only be here to make money off of the others. They only visit the parts board and snatch up the good deals so they can resale at a profit. Obviously they are not the ones to ask. And you do get people trying to buy off a WIW which is like seeing greed itself to me. Here is a person who goes to a specific forum to FIRST establish a price PRIOR to putting up for sale and the first response is "I'll take it" . So ridiculous. With no price established and offering no help, only concerned with "getting". If I were the one asking value I'd tell the person 3x what I think it's worth. Hey, you said you'll take it!

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 09-13-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:26 AM   #17
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ok here is where this all come from. I have a part I wanted to know approx. WIW, strictly curiosity. I don't do ebay but I did a quick look and didn't see what I was looking for. I think asking others is just another way of doing research along with the web lookups.

I reluctantly looked at our WIW section. Went through a lot of pages and noted the overall responses. I actually don't know if there is the perfect way to run WIW threads, hence tossing it out here to comment on ... Research =)
Old 09-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #18
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If you go to Ebay to check prices be sure to check the sold items also. On the right side scroll bar there is a "Sold Items" check box. Check that and it will automatically check the box in front of the "Completed Items" also. That will give you a true idea of what stuff is actually selling for.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #19
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
^^^ I think you are mixing your comparison up. Asking one uninterested party the value an item vs asking a large community of people familiar with these items who may or may not have interest are quite different situations. You get multiple answers to help form a value. The same thing happens looking at Ebay for values. You'll see the same item sell from $50-$150 because each sale varies. But you can figure it's worth somewhere in that range with $100 as the medium.

Another thing you are overlooking is there are many of us who are here to be helpful. That is actually what this site is about, a resource for help on these trucks. Those members feel a sense of community and fellowship with this group. Spending time here you get to know who the genuine people are and who is here for what. There are some who seem to only be here to make money off of the others. They only visit the parts board and snatch up the good deals so they can resale at a profit. Obviously they are not the ones to ask. And you do get people trying to buy off a WIW which is like seeing greed itself to me. Here is a person who goes to a specific forum to FIRST establish a price PRIOR to putting up for sale and the first response is "I'll take it" . So ridiculous. With no price established and offering no help, only concerned with "getting". If I were the one asking value I'd tell the person 3x what I think it's worth. Hey, you said you'll take it!
I am not mixing up my comparison, and I did not overlook the people who love to help. I happen to think that people who vote on a price with their WALLET instead of their best intentions are the drivers of value, which is why I suggested going to ebay where the parts have actually sold.

many times I have also be disappointed by high estimates from helpful people who 1) would not buy it at that price or even half, and 2) after it sells for a lower price will say "oh you gave that away". well, it was theirs for the asking at the price they told me to expect. conversely, many times I have been discouraged by local response and flat out surprised by ebay response, in a good way, usually 20-50% HIGHER sales price.

I get the sneaky guys too, when selling, who try to lowball and resell. the thing about them is they are up front with their price and their offer is in cash. the funny thing about opinions of value is that they dont exactly fold and fit in my wallet the way genuine offers, even from lowballers, do.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #20
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I am not mixing up my comparison, and I did not overlook the people who love to help. I happen to think that people who vote on a price with their WALLET instead of their best intentions are the drivers of value, which is why I suggested going to ebay where the parts have actually sold.

many times I have also be disappointed by high estimates from helpful people who 1) would not buy it at that price or even half, and 2) after it sells for a lower price will say "oh you gave that away". well, it was theirs for the asking at the price they told me to expect. conversely, many times I have been discouraged by local response and flat out surprised by ebay response, in a good way, usually 20-50% HIGHER sales price.

I get the sneaky guys too, when selling, who try to lowball and resell. the thing about them is they are up front with their price and their offer is in cash. the funny thing about opinions of value is that they dont exactly fold and fit in my wallet the way genuine offers, even from lowballers, do.

Then sometimes there is no rhyme nor reason for what things sell for....

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 09-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #21
68bowtie

Slightly off the thread topic, but a common theme I see in many places on this forum lately is resentment and criticism for those who flip parts or trucks to make money. We should be careful not to confuse liars and scammers from actual truck enthusiasts who maybe enjoy the thrill of finding that rare part to sell and fund a project. I think this may contribute to folks taking their "clicks" to other less judgmental websites. Just my opinion.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:26 AM   #22
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
If you go to Ebay to check prices be sure to check the sold items also. On the right side scroll bar there is a "Sold Items" check box. Check that and it will automatically check the box in front of the "Completed Items" also. That will give you a true idea of what stuff is actually selling for.

LockDoc
Im not an Ebay guy and gave it a shot and didn't come up with anything. Looking for 1971 C10 NOS hood, which I assume also fits 1969-1972. Lots of used and lots of aftermarkets, no NOS.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #23
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I’d say a 1971 NOS hood is about like spotting big foot, and we all know he is the undisputed hide and seek champion. I’ve never seen either one. So the hood has gotta be worth at least $9,998,905.
“Just sayin”
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #24
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Im not an Ebay guy and gave it a shot and didn't come up with anything. Looking for 1971 C10 NOS hood, which I assume also fits 1969-1972. Lots of used and lots of aftermarkets, no NOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
I’d say a 1971 NOS hood is about like spotting big foot, and we all know he is the undisputed hide and seek champion. I’ve never seen either one. So the hood has gotta be worth at least $9,998,905.
“Just sayin”

Scott is correct. That is a pretty tall order. Not saying they are not out there, just few and far between.

LockDoc

-
Old 09-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #25
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
“Just sayin”
If you could please find me the person that will pay this price I will change my mind about selling and I will split the profits with you =)