The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2016, 12:56 AM   #1401
Rude Dude

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Yeah Flat out frame boxing plates are real small in front and back of cross member they think you are going to leave your stock one. Your pic I see it was removed hope the guys who installed it moved the flat out cross member an 1 1/2 forward of stock centerline and braced the front forward of frame. All that open space is going to be visible to radiator core support mounts when looking into the engine compartment that's why I was asking if they are going to box it in plus your are increasing the ponies going to an ls setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Rudy,
?? Do you mean the front of the frame rails? The cross member IS boxed from
Flat Out.

I actually wondered if there was any value to doing that beyond the obvious aesthetic improvement? But if I do that it wouldn't it be best to box the entire frame? These trucks were meant to flex a bit given they'd be on farms, etc.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:02 AM   #1402
Rude Dude

Also do you need a c notch with flat out for the rack and pinon like this build

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591004
Old 09-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #1403
ptc

I would definitely box it - you don't want "frame flex" at all with a high performance truck!
Old 09-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #1404
Dan in Pasadena

Hi guys. Yes, there will be a small C notch for the rack and I know Mike planned to weld a bar across the frame rails before removing the factory crossmember.

I'm trying to remember but I THINK the '57 truck that is in his shop now (I posted photos of above) has NOT been fully boxed in front. I also know that truck has the same 6.0 LQ4 my truck will have but is twin turbo'd with the intent to make 1000hp - crazy to me. What I don't know is if it's "finished" in front or if he still intends to box the rails fully. I'll look into it as soon as I get home. Thanks guys!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #1405
Dan in Pasadena

Ok, so here's how MY day went yesterday. We got home from an international trip of a lifetime Thursday afternoon, I woke up with what I thought was the flu yesterday - yup, both ends of me. Ugh!

My son came over to borrow my beautiful '08 3500 crew dually to run an errand. At the gas station he SAW a rat run out from under my truck, then run BACK under it! He says he remembers thinking, "You better hold on tight you little effer!"

On the way back on the freeway he thinks he smells smoke (there've been lots of brush fires in SoCal), but the truck is running fine and a minute later he sees a whisp of smoke from the hood and looks for a place to pull off just as the engine dies. Opens the hood to see full on flames. Calls the CHP and Fire Department of course.

Engine and cab are fully involved and my truck is a total loss! I'm heartbroken. I bought this truck as a "Happy Birthday to Me" gift 12.01.08, my 54th birthday. I kept it in pristine condition. It had only 45,000 miles on it and less than 1000 miles on a brand new set of BFG All Terrain tires on it. It had Linex sprayed in the bed, stainless running boards, fifth wheel hitch, airbags in the rear, one of those huge dual receiver hitches I needed when I had an 11-1/2 ft. Lance camper on it. I fully expected it to last me the rest of my life.

This just kills me. I'd parked it behind our gate in back next to our grape arbor that was full of fruit. That attracts rats of course but I never thought. Obviously, they chewed something that let fuel fall onto something hot, I'm guessing the turbo charger piping.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-17-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:26 PM   #1406
Dan in Pasadena

We have some great memories from the trips we took in it. A few years ago when we still had the big Lance camper we took it and our boat to Lake Tahoe for their annual wooden boat regatta, then over the hill to attend Hot August Nights.

I suppose the lesson to us all is to guard against vermin near our vehicles and especially near our projects. I was lax about putting out poison and traps in the last few years. My '55 can't come home to these conditions so I'm gonna have to get SOME kind of control on it. I wonder if it's possible to train a rescue cat to stay in the garage & shop as it's home to hunt rats or will it just run off? Oh well. Have a better day than me guys. The flu-ish thing has passed and I'm going to see the progress on my truck today. More positive, interesting photos upcoming later today. Best, Dan!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-17-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #1407
Advanced Design

Oh wow, so sorry to see that happened! At least no one was injured.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:54 PM   #1408
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Ouch, sorry brother!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #1409
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks you guys! I'm upset but I keep telling myself no one was hurt and its insured so I'll only be out the deductible and I'll get a new or newish truck out of it. (I STILL mourn my dually though. I'm psycho, I almost regard my vehicles like living things. I kept her so pristine, it was love in an oddball sort of way!)

Old 09-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #1410
Russell Ashley

I'm sorry to hear about that, Dan. I just posted about my friends car going up in smoke and now see this.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #1411
Rude Dude

Dan that is sad sad sorry to hear about your truck, well you could always buy it back for the motor that only has 46K on the block and put it in your truck.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #1412
Dan in Pasadena

Rudy, I took a photo but it didn't come out. Get this: the engine fire was so hot that the driver side alternator case literally MELTED! It's an aluminum case and I was blown away that the case metal looked like dripping metal and the windings inside hadn't completed melted yet.

It actually occurred to me that the engine and Allison trans might be reusable to someone. But I think it's iffy. Temps must have been very intense for awhile.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:57 PM   #1413
Dan in Pasadena

September 17, 2016

Okay, back to happier subjects:
Stopped by the shop today to check the progress on the build and here are the pictures:

The engine and trans are fitted. Mike used a CPP trans cross member that he, "...made a little love to" - his words - to make it work. The engine is just jacked into position now but he will make the engine mounts this week along with a few other things.

A close up of the welding on the front C notch for the steering rack.

The Mustang 8.8 rearend. It's been torn down to install new bearings and seals. It is a 3.27 ratio and is limited slip. Also has disc brakes. I asked him to have the axle flanges redrilled to the Chevy car pattern of 5x4.75 to match the front.

Summary for the Day
He is rebuilding the rearend now. The engine and trans have both had a refresher rebuild, for lack of a better description. I will drop off the inner fenders so they can be. Trimmed and a rolled edge be put on them. I'll also drop off the ididit column I bought some time ago - hope it's the right size; and the column drop. He also needs the transmission cover - it will have to be reworked for the 4l85e - OR I'll just buy a repop factory stock 4 speed cover which has a hump in it if I remember right.

Those rims are just 14" rollers that BARELY fit without the calipers on. I'll take him the 15" Torq Thrusts I have just so he'll have these rollers to use on other projects.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-17-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:12 PM   #1414
Kim57

Sorry about your truck. That really sucks.
55 is coming along nicely.
Kim
Old 09-17-2016, 11:59 PM   #1415
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Kim!

How's the back coming along?

Old 09-18-2016, 01:41 AM   #1416
Nut Case

Danny

Tragic, is the only word I can think of, you hear stories about this sort of thing happening to someone else not you.

The build is looking great, it's coming right along.

Good Luck

Keep on keepin on

Nut Case

Old 09-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #1417
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Thanks Kim!

How's the back coming along?
A little better every day.
Hope the doctor lets me do more when I see him this week.
Kim
Old 09-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #1418
Rude Dude

Dan the truck is coming outstanding I am jealous, centering of the front suspension perfect where did you find this guy he doing great work. Keep posting them picks.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #1419
Dan in Pasadena

Kim,
I'm positive you're chomping at the bit to be free to do whatever but I counsel patience. You've come this far, take it slow so the back problems are hopefully never an issue for you again.

Rudy,
My brother in law is into vintage volkswagens. He found the painter I'm using, Marcos. When I told Marcos I was looking for someone to install my IFS he referred me to Mike's shop. It's called Schraeder's Speed & Style and is in Azusa.

The guy is a complete straight shooter. He's been very straight forward and fair with me. His estimates have been spot on and the quality of work by he and his guys has been outstanding. Plus there are other cars in his shop you can see other work he's doing and it all looks just as good. Highly recommended.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:49 AM   #1420
Daze57

Dan

So sorry about your truck -it looked like a big fun dependable ride -- lots of memories i am sure ! Is there anything you can get off it to use on the project ? kinda like a small rememberence momento ? may sound kinda funny but truck guys sometimes do stuff like that .
project is lookin really really good !!!!
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #1421
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
Dan

So sorry about your truck -it looked like a big fun dependable ride -- lots of memories i am sure !
So true. I loved her. She was a BIIG Biyatch. Could pull a house down, never let me down once. Rest in peace.

Quote:
Is there anything you can get off it to use on the project ? kinda like a small rememberence momento ? may sound kinda funny but truck guys sometimes do stuff like that .
Outstanding idea. Now you've got me thinking! The receiver hitch was one of those over & under double ones I used when I towed my boat on a 4ft. extension while carrying an 11-1/2ft Lance camper, so that won't work. I'm wondering if I can get the power front seats and modify them to remove the high backs? Damn, now this idea is gonna torture me. But at least you mentioned it before I talk to the insurance adjuster today, thanks!

Quote:
...project is lookin really really good !!!!
Thanks! Very excited to watch the fast progress.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-19-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #1422
Dan in Pasadena

September 19, 2016
Took the inner fenders, rear leaf spring mounts, the transmission cover and the Flaming River steering column (I bought new-in-box from Craigslist 1-2 yrs ago) to the shop this afternoon.

No progress on finishing rearend mods as "Robby" called in sick. Robby looks like the big badass Indian guy in the "Fargo" movie (but is really a very nice guy) so I'm not questioning him, lol. He's supposed to be back tomorrow.

Mike & I discussed the tranny cover - it'll be cheaper to use the factory four speed cover w/hump than modify the brand new flat 3 speed cover I never installed. I also have the original but it is hacked up. To his credit he said he'd end up overcharging me for labor to modify one - again, I'm pleased. I'll pick one up from The Car & Truck Shop later this week.

He doesn't seem overly concerned about the column possibly being a bit too long. He says he'll simply pull it a little longer into the engine compartment and change the "angle-of-the-dangle."

We discussed the engine mounts. Without pics it's hard to explain but he buys flat plates already cut to shape which mount on the LS, then fabs the pieces that mount to frame. Sometime uses a tubular strut with surrounding rubber and sometimes a flat, biscuit type mount. He's not sure which will be best; stay tuned.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-19-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #1423
47 Fasttoys

Dang Dan, I hate that your truck was wasted. Hard to imagine a simple little rat can cause that kind of destruction. I always hated the little bastards, now I hate them even more. Hopefully the insurance company will do you right and you can pick up a solid replacement.
Rob
Old 09-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #1424
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys View Post
Dang Dan, I hate that your truck was wasted. Hard to imagine a simple little rat can cause that kind of destruction. I always hated the little bastards, now I hate them even more. Hopefully the insurance company will do you right and you can pick up a solid replacement.
Rob
Thanks Rob,
I'm seeing quite a few nice used 2500 crew cabs with relatively low miles upper 70-90k and some in low 100's. They seem to cost more with a short bed than the longbed so that may determine my final decision. Whatever it is, I won't buy it unless it's really nice. I don't polish turds!

Old 09-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #1425
Dan in Pasadena

I hope you guys don't mind my asking an opinion about the loss of my dually? Moderators, if I shouldn't do this please delete this post.

I've searched eBay nationwide and only found ONE truck close to what mine was: A 2007.5 (when the body style changed to mine) w/20k more miles but otherwise almost identical (diff color and non-stock "simulators"). Asking is $39k+.

Kelly Blue Book estimates its value under "Private Party Value" (excellent condition) - hard to prove now but it was - at $38, 132. "Trade in Range" it says $35,278 - $39, 925.

Here's the question:
If a dealer could get a truck like mine w/so few miles(highly unlikely it seems), they got it by paying in these ranges, right? So isn't it correct to assume they would sell it for more to make a profit? So if I'm trying to replace my truck shouldn't my settlement amount be higher than these numbers (less the deductible of course)? Dealer isn't going to sell to me for NO profit. And all this doesn't address the extras, Linex bedliner, running boards, air bags, Magnum hitch, WeatherTech mats.

Opinion/experiences appreciated. - Dan