The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2020, 01:52 AM   #1
toolboxchev

Photobucket ruining this site

I am sure this has been mentioned before but I just noticed some threads over the fact section of bodywork have been jacked.

The kind folks whom have contributed to the well being of this site, encouragement of future generations into the hobby, and passing of knowledge from their own hard working hands is being ruined by photobuckets new policies.

It seems that they think they can try and capture other technologies and charge the givers of the wealth and ruin what the original posters had intended.

I find this theft in that aspect. What a crappy manipulation they are. I tried to contact them and convey that what they are doing is not in their best interest. Nope, no contact form, customer service, nothing.

Maybe the mods will help out and contact the original posters of all the photobucket threads, and photobucket themselves and get something done.

It really seems like plagiarism of some sort.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:03 AM   #2
franken

Re: Photobucket ruining this site

Lol.
franken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:35 AM   #3
dmjlambert

1. it would be best if people didn't upload their pictures to photobucket and then when they post here, create a link to their photobucket picture. Just upload the pictures to the forum instead.
2. Forum members who are not deceased could download their pictures from their photo bucket site, where they have full access, and then edit their posts here on this site to upload the photos here. But that would require everybody who has used photobucket to be interested in that. Since they can see their own photos just fine, there is little motivation. I have gone back and done that will all the posts I have made that used photobucket pictures, as soon as photobucket messed things up, but I only had a handful of those.
3. There is a workaround, for each individual wishing to view the posts and see the pictures, they could use the Chrome web browser and an add-in for Chrome called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix" that allows the photobucket pictures to be visible. This doesn't work well for me, because I use Safari as my web browser and do not care to use Chrome. So I usually ignore the posts with broken pictures. If I feel a burning need to view a post, I will go into Chrome, but it is rare that I do that.
4. Using the same programming techniques from that Chrome add-in, an Admin on this forum could write a program to automatically go through all the posts and do a one-time download or scrape of all affected pictures, re-upload of the pictures to this site or to some other site such as imgur.com, and edit the original post, to permanently correct the problem in one sweep. But I think it would take superior programming skills to do that. This could be further enhanced by altering the forum to disallow new links to photobucket pictures. I would like to see that happen, and if I had the programming skills I would volunteer, write the program, and do the sweep once and for all, and divorce this site from photobucket.

I think instead of plagiarism it is best described as photobucket holding the pictures hostage and demanding ransom. They did this through a change in their policy that they find attractive. Perhaps they increased their revenue, or they are making a desperate attempt to stay afloat.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
BlouDon

Dropbox did something similar. I also posted my pics to DB and then linked them to my forum submissions. And then DB pulled the ability to do so. Much of my internet tech contribution ruined.

Lesson: Post pics to forum where they are to be seen, nowhere else.

Chev: '70 C10 (350 V8 / 700R4 ) & '59 Apache ( 235, 3-sp )
Jensen Interceptor '74: Mopar 440(EFI'ed) / 4L60e
Jaguar: '72 E-type Coupe V12 & '74 E-type V12 Convertible & '80 XJS V12
BlouDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

There is no way that hindsight at this time can help what happened in the past. Photobucket was a "free picture hosting site" that the administrators here suggested we use when I first got on this site and knew nothing better about where and how to store pictures. Photobucket had premium pay accounts available that cut the ads out and gave unlimited storage, along with other perks. Then, after all these years and thousands of MY pictures stored on THEIR site, they pull the rug out from under all of us by going 100% pay accounts. I have pictures stored there since '04 and even for me to go view my own pictures is such a pain, with constant pop-ups, I haven't been there in over a year. It is like Clockwork Orange torture, if you are familiar with that movie where they hold the guy's head, hold his eyes open and force him to watch constant violence on a movie screen for hours. I tried saving my pictures back to my folders. It appeared to work as usually, but going back to view they were blocked.

I wonder if I subscribe whether I could save them to my folders. Then, once I have them all saved into my computer, drop the subscription or just not renew because the transfer will take a lot of time. There was some big deal about subscribing by a deadline when they switched to 100% pay. So I don't know if that meant my pics were permanently locked there after that deadline. Or only unlocked with a current subscription. I don't know and to tell the truth this whole thing burns my hiney so bad it's hard to stay on the topic without getting violent urges against P-bucket.

That's the thing with them that is a thing I hate about the internet. Where the heck are they? Who are they? Ok, they are a website. Where are they located? On the internet. How do I contact them? Internet. I don't know, but if I'm giving money to someone they could let me know their address and phone number. I had issues on the site where I needed assistance. The only option for help and answers to questions is their help feature with standardized questions. How are these internet-only businesses, that can't even tell you what part of the country they are in, any different from the guy on the street corner selling watched from under his cloak?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
54blackhornet

Amen ! The TNF site “ The Nostalgia Forum” was ruined by this garbage. Decades of contributions removed, post useless without them.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I don't know if anyone has tried saving their images on PB by RIGHT clicking on the image when they have access to it and it is up on the screen, and when the box pops up click on "Save Image As". A box should then pop up that shows your computer that says "save image" at the very top of the window. You have to pay attention to where it is saving the image and the file name it has in the two windows for that. (see image below). After you have checked out those two items click on the "SAVE" button at the bottom of that screen. That should save the image to your computer.

Another way to do it is to use the Windows "Snipping Tool". I think it is an accessory in most versions of windows. It will copy and save any image on the screen. Here are the instructions for Windows 7 - 10. (Scroll down for the older versions of Windows)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...re-screenshots

Once you use it a couple of times you will find it is really easy and quick to save anything on the screen.

The image below was saved with the Snipping Tool and I have noted in Red text the two items that you need to write down or change, the location of the saved file, and the name of the saved file.

Don't know if this will help anyone but if it does let me know and I will make a stand alone thread on it.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
The Rocknrod

Or you can become a paying member and save your pics on site.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:08 PM   #9
1976gmc20

Quote:
Just upload the pictures to the forum instead.
How does one do that ??? All I can ever get is a popup that asks for a URL, no "browse" to a folder option. Maybe one has to be a special paid member or something?

I don't host my private pictures anywhere.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #10
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
How does one do that ??? All I can ever get is a popup that asks for a URL, no "browse" to a folder option. Maybe one has to be a special paid member or something?

Don't use the "quick reply" box at the bottom of the thread. Instead, click on the "go advanced" button right below that box.

This will bring up a more in-depth reply window, including a button labeled "Manage Attachments."

If you click that, it pops up another window, that allows you to browse for files. After you've designated which files to attach, you click the "upload" button, and close the window.

When you click "submit reply", the pics should be included in the post.

Go ahead. Try it here. Now.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #11
1976gmc20

Thanks!
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Old 02-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #12
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

I have several thousand pics on photobucket and a paying member and pics are gone.
I struggle even saving my own pics.
Photobucket is junk
Old 02-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #13
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post

here is a detailed description

.https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=712252

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #14
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
"at least 2 characters"
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #15
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlouDon View Post
Dropbox did something similar. I also posted my pics to DB and then linked them to my forum submissions. And then DB pulled the ability to do so. Much of my internet tech contribution ruined.

Lesson: Post pics to forum where they are to be seen, nowhere else.
??? had a completely free dropbox account for several years and never a glitch of any kind..

what exactly are you referring to that dropbox changed?

here's a picture uploaded 5 years ago;

* btw, 1971 Ruger 10/22 Sporter (finger groove) NIB

and here's a picture uploaded this morning;

Old 02-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I don't know if anyone has tried saving their images on PB by RIGHT clicking on the image when they have access to it and it is up on the screen, and when the box pops up click on "Save Image As". A box should then pop up that shows your computer that says "save image" at the very top of the window. You have to pay attention to where it is saving the image and the file name it has in the two windows for that. (see image below). After you have checked out those two items click on the "SAVE" button at the bottom of that screen. That should save the image to your computer.

LockDoc
This is what I had no problem doing before the siege. Since pictures 'were' stored safely on Photobucket, when a laptop would crash I could right click/save them to my folders in my new computer. Since the siege I put some time into doing that, did complete folders, only to have them be locked or something. It's been a while. I'll get up the nerve and go try it again to refresh my memory. But I know it's going to be a painfully frustrating experience.

I'm wondering if my pictures will be restored in the threads if I do subscribe and if I can right click save them to my computer and have them remain after cancelling

I think it's wrong, criminally wrong, that Photobucket would make all pictures shared during the time no subscription was required unviewable. That's going back on a handshake in my view of the world. That is corrupt and a total breach of trust. I can see making third party sharing only possible with a subscription from the day of the change forward. We wouldn't be having this conversation. I would have been disappointed that I needed to find a new place to host and share pictures but I wouldn't be so upset a want to hurt somebody!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #17
1976gmc20

Sure, Tim - you can park your pickup at my place for as long as you want for free, but you can't have it back.

Isn't that about what photosuckit is doing ???

Old 02-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #18
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Picture kidnappers. Pay the ransom and you get your pictures back.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:28 PM   #19
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I've never hosted pics through dropbox, but I did get a notification that my "free storage" was going to go from 20 GB to 3GB.

I use it for work all the time (CAD and some PDF files are too large for email), so I use dropbox. I had to clean out a ton of old files in order for it to be usable again.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #20
Killer Bee

I'm still barely scratching the surface of my freebie account..

it's 100% FREE, and NO ads or annoyances of any kind in the years I've used it..

no secret I post a LOT of pictures, all from this dropbox..

and I have lots and lots of pictures in there, matter of fact, without regard for space so far..

I take pictures in high res and shrink to 640x480 in photosizer app..

resized files go in dropbox for forum posting, full size automatically back up in free google account..

important pictures get backed up on external harddrive on pc..

guess there's a lot of ways, but this has worked just peachy for me

Old 02-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #21
Tom
driving is in my blood

Don't expect free stuff to be free forever and you won't be so disappointed anymore. Interesting this upsets someone who also hasn't paid this site for its free services.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:23 PM   #22
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm wondering if my pictures will be restored in the threads if I do subscribe and if I can right click save them to my computer and have them remain after cancelling
If you primarily used photobucket for posting to this site, and you can find the posts where you posted pictures, I believe you can simply use the Chrome web browser with the "Photobucket Hotlink Fix" extension, and go view your pictures in the posts and right click and save them to your computer. Then edit the posts in the forum to save the pictures as part of the post instead of linking to photobucket if you want to for the benefit of everybody else being able to see the valuable information you've posted.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Don't expect free stuff to be free forever and you won't be so disappointed anymore. Interesting this upsets someone who also hasn't paid this site for its free services.
The internet is like the free papers they toss in my driveway. It's about advertising. The publisher of that paper brings in enough from advertisers to run the paper, pay to have them distributed, and make a profit

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 02-13-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #24
YBNORML

I’d like to see the forum stop, ban or block photoshop links. It is completely inevitable that the threads will be ruined if photoshop links are used to post pics.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:30 AM   #25
bloo

Don't use Photobucket for anything, ever, period. This is at least the second time they have tried to ransom the entire Internet. Imgur.com seems to be the best choice for offsite hosting right now, or you could just upload pictures to the forum.
bloo is offline   Reply With Quote