The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
Willowrun

Not sure why '86 CJ7 build

For some reason, I've always wanted a CJ7. I've always liked the bare bones approach and the disco graphics that carried on into the 80's. I have a '78 full size Cherokee that has been a decade long project so no idea why I wanted another Jeep after years of being spoiled by the availability of used GM parts for all of those builds, but I guess I wanted a challenge. Finally, I despise the "it's a Jeep thing" crowd driving around in their bolt on JK Jeeps....I had no idea they all wave at each other...ugh.

I hunted the nation for a CJ7 for a few weeks. My criteria were little to no rust, inline 6 motor, manual transmission, steel tub, and as close to stock as possible. Easy right? Well, yeah if you want to spend $15K. I wanted to spend around 1/3 of that for the initial investment and after a few weeks found one within a couple hours of me that seemed to have potential. I called the seller and he had bought it about a year prior, had driven it up north a couple times and now needed some cash. I could tell from the pics that it had some "custom" pinstriping and graphics which was my first knock against it.
Attached Images

Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Willowrun

Re: Not sure why '86 CJ7 build

I took my 11 year old daughter with me to take a look at it. The seller was an interesting dude who has three airplanes that he flies out of a grass strip along the side of his driveway. I asked him how long he had his pilot's license....he said he's never had it. He flies dirty....
Anyways, it had some rust in the floors, a kinked hood from it flipping up, rusted windshield frame, interior was in decent shape with factory carpet (cause of floor rust), the floor was rusted where the roll bar bolted up, the front fenders where showing bubbles, the tub was starting and it ran pretty bad.
On the good side, it was all there, the frame was very clean, and it hadn't been modified. I didn't like the rims that were on it and he had a set of steel rims with decent tires that I was able to talk him into swapping on which resulted in a lower price to me for the Jeep. We settled on a price and I now had myself a CJ7.
The powertrain is the 4.2L inline 6 with the 5 speed manual transmission (not desirable). An interesting thing about this Jeep is in '86 only a Dana 44 rear axle was put into some of the later model year Jeeps. This one has it.
I got the Jeep home, stuck it in my shop, and started collecting parts.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
Willowrun

The goal for this Jeep is a stock looking CJ with the primary function of a sand dune driver along with some around town driving. After about a year I had collected the following parts: OEM hood, aftermarket front fenders (rust free OEM are impossible to find), YJ Jeep family roll cage so that people can ride in the back at the dunes without helmets, YJ half doors, perfect condition take off YJ windshield frame, used YJ soft top, rust free OEM CJ tailgate, and a replacement carter carb that should help it run better. It was time to get started.
The person that did the pinstripe job signed it "McCurdy '89" in the back of the Jeep in tiny font. Since I had no idea of the history of this vehicle I looked up the name and the guy is still in business in Georgia. I knew the Jeep wasn't from MI because of the condition so it was good to figure out where it was once from. The Jeep was only 3 years old when it was painted and pinstriped.....why?
I decided to tear it down and start wire wheeling the tub where I could see some rust popping through. I found up to 1/4 inch of bondo running along both sides of the rockers. Other than some rust that had probably come after the bondo was applied, there was no reason this would have been applied other than an owner that didn't like the wavy Jeep sheetmetal from the factory.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
leddzepp

I've owned waaayyyy more Jeep CJ's than any of these trucks. The last 20% in 86 got the Dana 44 rear end as they "ran out" of AMC 20's when Chrysler took over. Does it have the "Last of a Great Breed" plaque on the glovebox?

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Does it have the "Last of a Great Breed" plaque on the glovebox?
OK, cool....someone that's not going to flame me about this Jeep. No, it didn't have the plaque on the glovebox. I did some research on the options to verify it is an actual Renegade though and I'm 99% sure it is.
At the same time I was grinding down the bondo, I was working on getting it to run right. I went through a couple carburetors and had it at least starting and idling. Seemed to have quite a bit of an off-idle stumble though. This led me to perform what Jeep people call a "nutter bypass" which involves removing the majority of the 80's emission junk, along with replacing the Jeep cap and rotor with a Ford unit. The pic below is mid-nutter. I had already replaced the cap and rotor and am in the middle of pulling out all of the unneeded wiring. The ECU goes in the trash too. I was amazed at the amount of wiring I removed. It filled a trash bag half full.
Name:  IMG_1085.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  62.2 KB

The dash had been hacked and bent for a radio and speaker install by a PO at some point so during this time I also pulled the dash and labeled everything. I had picked up an original dash that was straight so that would be used.

Name:  IMG_1086.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  39.6 KB

This Jeep had factory air also. That came out.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
Willowrun

I replaced the steering box because it was sloppy and leaky. I also welded some new metal in a couple of small holes in the driver's floorboard and where the roll bar bolts the the floor. I threw on the repop fenders and decent hood I had found for it. I also put a skim coat of mud on the rockers where I had to patch a small area. I don't mind welding in metal, but I hate body work. Losing motivation I had thoughts of throwing a quick spray job on it and calling it good. I kept going back and forth so I figured it would be best to let it sit before I did something I may regret. Winter was coming and I had a different project I wanted to work on so back to the storage barn it went.
I parked it towards the back of the barn....where projects to go die.
Name:  IMG_0358.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  35.9 KB

At least a year later I needed to thin the herd some and I had a guy coming over to look at a Monte SS I had posted on CL. He turned out buying both the Monte and a '76 C10 SWB I had owned for just a few months that wasn't even for sale. He told me that he owned a body shop so I had him take a look at the CJ7. He game me a price that I thought was fair to dustless blast the whole thing, spray the inner and outer fenders, roll bar, dash, tailgate, windshield frame....he was going to spray everything except the inner tub which didn't need it anyways. He was also going to fix a dent in the cowl (hood flip up at speed incident) and install new body bushings too. He showed me some pics of previous work, seemed like a good guy, looks like the Jeep is going to get painted.
it took twice as long, and cost a little bit more money than anticipated, but I was happy with the result.
Attached Images

Last edited by Willowrun; 12-21-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
KShortell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowrun View Post
OK, cool....someone that's not going to flame me about this Jeep.
No flames here, just PROPS to you, bud! I'm a Jeep guy, myself. My '98 Wrangler is still FUN. In fact, my dog loves it so much that I had to reshim the door frame between the kitchen and the garage. He kept popping the lock and busting the door open with his shoulder to go out in the garage to be with the Jeep! I think that he loves it more than I do, actually. He'll get his front paws up on the side step, look into the Jeep, back at me, back into the Jeep, etc. "C'mon, Dad, let's ride, huh?"

Your project looks pretty cool. It will be neat to see it finished. The beauty of Jeeps is that, while they do hold their values well, parts are cheap and the aftermarket support is extensive. That, and the FUN quotient is hard to beat.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KShortell View Post
No flames here, just PROPS to you, bud!
Thank you! I can see where your dog would love to ride in your Jeep....cracks me up too because your dog sounds like my 2 year old son when he sees the Jeep. More on that later....

OK, so the Jeep is back from paint and at this point I was wanting to take in on a dune trip I had planned in a few weeks. Just needed to spend a few hours getting it together. It took longer than a few hours, and at this point the Jeep was totally unproven mechanically, but we were on our way to the dunes.
The dunes are about 3 hours from our house. We keep a camper and a '73 K5 at the dunes. When I go there I typically take another 4x4 with me to make sure if one vehicle breaks down I have a backup (and I like variety)One of the reasons I wanted a Jeep is it would trailer better than the overweight K5's I usually haul. I was happy after a few minutes of towing it with my Silverado that the weight difference was noticeable. My 12 year old son as we were beginning our journey.

Name:  IMG_2846.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  47.6 KB.

As seen, I purchased some YJ Jeep roll bar padding and bikini top. The Jeep performed...OK. I fiddled with the timing, jetting, and idle for the whole weekend and I could not get rid of an off-idle stumble. Beyond that driving me nuts (I don't think my son, his buddy, or my buddy noticed it) I was pleased with its performance in the dunes. Climbed every hill no problem and had great power when needed. Not bad for an inline 6 with 155K on the odometer.

Name:  IMG_2822.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  55.7 KB
Old 12-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #9
jmking9

I'm a CJ7 guy myself also. I've had a couple with the 4.2 that ran like crap. Did the "nutter" bypass, put on a Weber 32/36 carb, and the Ford cap/rotor/wires trick, and they were like night and day. One of them had an auto trans and 35's and still had plenty of umph.
Are you planning on adding any "disco" graphics? I would love to put the big giant Golden Eagle on my hood. But I haven't worked up the courage.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
Are you planning on adding any "disco" graphics?
The disco graphics are definitely one of the things that I remember about this era Jeep growing up. I loved the graphics on the Z28 Camaros, Scouts (on my bucket list), and Trans Am's also. It just so happens that I like them so much I got a little carried away when I was looking for a clean hood for my Jeep. For some reason even though I had found a clean one already, whenever I found one with original paint and graphics I had to buy it. I have a big barn with 16' walls so I hung them on the walls. Here's some.
Name:  IMG_3583.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  39.7 KB

After the first dune trip and after some road driving I had some take aways:
It still stumbled off idle.
My rear brake fluid reservoir was puking fluid (manual brakes).
The brakes were less than desirable (probably just front brakes functioning)
My alternator fan was hitting the upper radiator hose because the alternator belt was worn out.
The clutch chatters when hot.
5th gear in the trans starts whining when hot.
The muffler has a hole in it.

So with all of those things to do and another dune trip quickly approaching I did what most of us would do: Fix only what needed to be fixed. So I replaced the alternator belt and upper hose. I also read where the Carter carb has an issue with plugged idle tubes that can create a rich idle so I cleaned those out too as I had the symptoms described. It ran noticeably better. Oh....I bought a new brake master cylinder also but I didn't get around to installing it.
The second trip to the dunes went well. It performed well but still ran poorly. I am absolutely loving the tow out to the dunes now though with the reduced weight compared to a K5.
My daughter and son out on the dunes
Name:  IMG_2944.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  32.3 KB
Old 02-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #11
kdh454

Nice Jeep. They are very capable and a ton of fun, even in stock form.

My Dad owned a '80 CJ7 since new (before I was born). It was our ranch/hunting vehicle and what I learned to drive in. Actually, it was the same paint scheme as the brown/orange hood you have on the wall.

Anyway, the old 4 cylinder finally gave out and he let me have the Jeep. I ended up installing a 5.3/4L60E from a wrecked '00 Silverado, swapped the axles for Scout Dana 44s, converted it to SOA using YJ springs, and did my own paint and body work. For being in college and not having a lot of money to spend, I think it came out OK.

The only picture I have here is an old one from when I was still working out the wiring (some can be seen hanging below).
Attached Images

kdh454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #12
Willowrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdh454 View Post
For being in college and not having a lot of money to spend, I think it came out OK.

The only picture I have here is an old one from when I was still working out the wiring (some can be seen hanging below).
Your Jeep looks great! I really like the color combo and how subtle the stripes are.

Thanks for bringing this thread up as I had kinda forgotten about it. I wanted to at least close out what happened with the Jeep before it was put into storage for the winter.

I knew from the start that I wanted the Renegade stripes. Upon finishing the Jeep up without the stripes I was conflicted though. I liked how it looked without the stripes. Also, if I was going to do the stripes should I use the stripes that came on the 85-86 Renegades? This is an '86, but I was struggling with the decision of what stripes to use because quite honestly the 85-86 stripes are probably my least favorite. I decided to just go with what it was born with in the end and spent probably 8 hours installing them over the course of a couple days.

Name:  IMG_3351.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  50.7 KB

As I mentioned earlier, my two year old son absolutely loves this thing and is constantly wanting to take rides around the yard in it. Here is is after one of those rides.

Name:  IMG_3474.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  75.1 KB

A friend of mine at work has a CJ7 also and we were talking about them one day and I mentioned how the off-idle stumble was driving me crazy. He said he had the same issue and ended up buying a motorcraft based carb off of ebay from a guy that specializes in modifying them for Jeep 4.2's. They aren't cheap but I had enough so I spent the money on one for myself. Other than an overly long travel on the accelerator pedal that I need to fix it runs much better. you can see the new carb here along with an old Ford air cleaner I cut down.

Name:  IMG_3579.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  45.1 KB
Old 02-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #13
Willowrun

There are a couple of junkyards within 1/2 hour of my house that I try to frequent at least every couple months. During one of our unseasonably warm days this winter I decided to take my son on his first trip to the junkyard. He is a true truck nut and always has at least one toy truck in his hands at all times including in bed. He may look like his mother, but he is my kid for sure. The giant front end loader was parked right by the entrance. He was digging it.

Name:  IMG_3550.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  58.0 KB

I typically go right to the Chevy truck area to see if there is anything I need. There wasn't this day so we headed over by the Jeeps. It just so happens I misplaced the Jeep horn somewhere when I had taken it apart many years ago (see engine pic in previous post....horn should be on driver's side fender). Luck would have it that there was a CJ there with it's horn intact. My boy helped pull it. Proud moment.

Name:  IMG_3554.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  75.2 KB

We swung by the Ford truck section on the way out as I have a couple of old Fords. My son just had to sit in this old Ford. Thankfully it was cleaner on the inside than most junkyard occupants.

Name:  IMG_3557.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  51.5 KB
Old 04-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #14
lower50's

Cool story!! How is the progress? I have a '67 CJ5 I've had it for 22 years nothing stock anymore. Last Friday my 12 year old just bought this '75 CJ6 with his own $$
Name:  IMG_9302.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  forum cj6.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  35.4 KB
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote