The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #801
_Ogre

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Back to installing irrelevant little pieces of chrome to her.
back to baby steps?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #802
hopped up

Quote:
http://bigdaddysfiregrill.com/contact.php

Highly recommended. It's RIGHT NEXT to an In 'n Out and is full every day anyway. Different kinda place though. They sell beer and wine, real nice covered patio with flat screen TV's, you'll like it. GREAT burgers but also salmon, turkey burgers, chicken sandwiches, yada, yada.

Lemme know if you like it. It'd be a good place to get a gathering of SoCal truck guys because there's an out business place behind it with a huge lot we could park in.
this place looks real good dan! i think im gonna have to try it out this weekend
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #803
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
back to baby steps?
Unfortunately yes.

I may get off work early today and if I do the plan is to install the new-to-me fender emblems I posted about earlier this week and some new "V8" emblems I picked up at The Truck Shop. I also bought replacement wiper escutcheons - I think that's what they're called, and I also have a new rear window seal as mine is rock hard and cracked all over. Of course the seat and seat belts are " in the lineup" too!

There are more things I am in process on but I won't list them. It's depressing knowing how I tend to jump around - look, a squirrel! Maybe I have an attention problem!! Lol. But seriously, I am in the process of polishing the lip on my Torq Thrusts, I've got two Lokar shifters I need to meld into one good one, and on and on. DOH!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 08-22-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #804
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopped up View Post
this place looks real good dan! i think im gonna have to try it out this weekend
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, give it a shot. Maybe coordinate your visit with when a good game is on cause they'll got two flat screens inside and a couple on the covered patio too. Their shakes are crazy food but SO chocolatey I have th make mine with vanilla ice cream or I think I'd go into a diabetic coma! Enjoy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #805
Dan in Pasadena

Today's activities:

Out with my old, pecky fender emblems and in with the nice-but-not-perfect ones I bought off CL for $100. The V8 emblems are reproductions and I mounted them based on a Factory Assy. Manual diagram Ogre posted, thanks ,Ogre!

Then I began working on my seat replacement. Factory seat was held in with only two bolts total! I also found out the gas tank hold down straps are not connected in the front at all - DOH!

"New-to-me-seat" - It had some 4" long mounting studs rusted solid under it - what a PITA. Gibbs oil, double nutting & a long box end wrench cured that. I was lucky not to snap them though.

Under the seat I found THIS:

This whole sliding mechanism unbolts so I'm debating if I should have it sandblasted? I decided to spray it w/ Ospho and leave it overnight to see if I kill the rust. If I do I will spray with Rustoleum's rust arrester and leave it. Opinions?

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 08-22-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #806
Russell Ashley

Dan, the emblems look good, and I think you scored big on that seat. I would have probably done the same thing you did about the rust. Wire brush it, Ospho it. and paint it. If there's any pits that would be visible you might think about using a texture paint to paint it. Rustoleum has a good selection of rattle can texture paints.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #807
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Dan, the emblems look good, and I think you scored big on that seat. I would have probably done the same thing you did about the rust. Wire brush it, Ospho it. and paint it. If there's any pits that would be visible you might think about using a texture paint to paint it. Rustoleum has a good selection of rattle can texture paints.
I like the Rustoleum hammered paints a lot for rattle can paints. The black is my favorite it comes out a dark grey with Just a hint of gold metallic. Take extra time to mix (shake) though as the texture won't come out right if you don't.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #808
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Russ. Nah, none of the seat "guts" will show so I'm not concerned at all about appearance. I just don't like rust chewing on my "baby"!

It has those cool (to me) sheet metal aprons that hide the mounts - especially nice on a truck since we step up into them rather than how a car is low. I've gotta paint those and I'm currently thinking burgundy to match, though chrome or powdercoat chrome is possible. Opinions welcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #809
Dan in Pasadena

Oh, missed your post Mark. Yes, I've had real good luck with Rustoleum hammered paints. Especially their brush on type. I've got a big structural steel frame in my garage I painted with their silver using a little $2 foam roller. Came out great in my opinion. I even have some left...hmmm....
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #810
Kim57

Emblems look real nice.
I used the Rustoleum Hammered black on my frame.
I'm real happy with how it turned out and it's easy to touch up.
Kim
Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #811
Dan in Pasadena

Kim,
Was that the spray or the brush on?

My experience:
I used their black on my workbench awhile ago. I wanted 2 coats and because the label says you have to apply a 2nd coat within "X" hours or wait like 7 days (!) I screwed up and had to wait the full week - UGH.
It was nice after one coat but with two it is ROCK hard! I'm really pleased with it.

When I finished the 1st coat on the bench I had a roller full of paint and walked over to my truck and rolled the top flange of the frame. No prep, I didn't even blow off the minor dust, nothing. Since then it has sat outdoors exposed to the sun for months and that stuff looks as good as the day I did it. I'm a believer in it. It'll be on my frame for certain.

PS: I once bought some parts off a guy that used multiple coats of their black hammered rattle can stuff on his '46 frame. I asked him who did the powder coating? It looked THAT good.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #812
Kim57

Quote:
Kim,
Was that the spray or the brush on?

My experience:
I used their black on my workbench awhile ago. I wanted 2 coats and because the label says you have to apply a 2nd coat within "X" hours or wait like 7 days (!) I screwed up and had to wait the full week - UGH.
It was nice after one coat but with two it is ROCK hard! I'm really pleased with it.

When I finished the 1st coat on the bench I had a roller full of paint and walked over to my truck and rolled the top flange of the frame. No prep, I didn't even blow off the minor dust, nothing. Since then it has sat outdoors exposed to the sun for months and that stuff looks as good as the day I did it. I'm a believer in it. It'll be on my frame for certain.

PS: I once bought some parts off a guy that used multiple coats of their black hammered rattle can stuff on his '46 frame. I asked him who did the powder coating? It looked THAT good.
I brushed it on and waited the 7 days in between coats just to be safe.
One of my neighbors thought it was powder coated until I told him what it was.
It's been on for a while now and seems to be holding up just fine.
The black dries as a dark grey.
Kim
Old 08-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #813
Dan in Pasadena

Good that you have had the same experience. Makes me more confident mine wasn't unusual so I'll feel confident to use it on the frame. Did you clean your metal well & prime? As I said, I did ZERO prep and its hanging on perfectly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #814
rgunlock

Dan, I used rattle-can hammered black on a frame that I was going to use for my 59 over 1 1/2 years ago. It's been sitting exposed in Houston humidity and weather for almost that entire time and is still looking pretty good. The only rust I've noticed is from bolts I stuck back in it that weren't painted. I'll try to get a couple pictures in daylight tomorrow of it. I'm impressed enough with it that I also rattle-canned my current 78 project's frame and a lot of other parts.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #815
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks for the info Rick.

One of the attractive things about this in a rattle can and it being textured is we can later easily touch up road rash - which we KNOW we're gonna get!

Old 08-24-2013, 02:01 AM   #816
Kim57

Quote:
Good that you have had the same experience. Makes me more confident mine wasn't unusual so I'll feel confident to use it on the frame. Did you clean your metal well & prime? As I said, I did ZERO prep and its hanging on perfectly.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wire wheeled as much of the rust I could get off and brushed on the paint over rust Rustoleum primer. It went on nice and smooth.
Kim
Old 08-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #817
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Kim.

I have no doubt that a quality epoxy primer & automotive grade paint would be much better but for those of us on tight budgets this seems like an excellent compromise way to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #818
rgunlock

Hi Dan - this doesn't look great, but I didn't clean it up either. A lot of that discoloration is dust, but you can see that there is very little surface rust coming back after all this time (1.5 years) exposed to the elements. The rusty chassis it's sitting on shows what you'd be looking for
Attached Images

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #819
vht

I used the Hammer paint on my last dragster chassis. That stuff is tough. I'm going to do the frame and the firewall on my 51 chev pickup with it. Been keeping track of this build, amazing fab work.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #820
G&R's57GMC

Hi Danny Boy, I see you've got BLING ! BLING ! LOL

Now go get MORE ! LOL
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #821
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vht View Post
... Been keeping track of this build, amazing fab work.
Who? Me?

NO "fab" work on this thread, yet. A LOT of "cleaning up" but thanks for watching the thread.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #822
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Thanks Kim.

I have no doubt that a quality epoxy primer & automotive grade paint would be much better but for those of us on tight budgets this seems like an excellent compromise way to go.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan, I've used Rustoleum products on a lot of old trucks and always had good results with it. I don't consider it a compromise.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #823
Dan in Pasadena

Well, I'm only saying "compromise" in that a true automotive grade epoxy primer "bites" into raw metal better and a catalyzed top coat is more durable.

I'll have NO worries or feel like I did something "cheaply" if I use brushed-on Rustoleum red oxide & hammered finish. It'll be plenty thick, hard & durable and best of all is its easily doable in my garage with little masking. Plus it's easily touched up later.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #824
1968aj

where can i get this rustolem hammered paint. im about to blast my frame and need to paint it.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #825
Dan in Pasadena

Home Depot. Probably Lowes too
Posted via Mobile Device