The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #276
BlueJeep

Re: My version of the s10 swap

Now that it's supposed to cool down, it'll be time to get some things done on the truck again. I've been working on it a little, but not post-worthy. I'm currently working on figuring out the exhaust system and building new inner fenders for it so I can mount all my stuff under the hood.

The stock AD inner fenders just don't leave a guy any room to mount stuff like an ECM, air filter, overflow tank, squirter tank, etc. I'm fixing that. I have started with some 36" trailer fenders, that seems like the appropriate size to accommodate the swing of a 28" tire as it turns.

Old:

Beginnings of the new. I'll roll some sheetmetal and close it in more, but even then it looks like I'll gain 5" per side of room, plus the space in front of and behind the tires.

To ensure everything always clears, I removed the coil spring and jacked up on the control arms:

I can definitely see that if I was bagged the stock s10 track width would be about perfect in the front. I currently have 1" spacers on the front and the tires get into the fender hard when it turns.

Here's the space I'm trying to capitalize on. Plans for these holes include air filter, overflow tank, and access to replace headlight bulbs. I picked up some headlights at Goodguys this year that use a modern style bulb, so I'll cut the back out of the existing buckets and have access through the engine compartment to change the bulbs, like a modern car.

Plenty of room for a filter now:

Should be able to pull lots of cool air from the grille too, instead of hot engine compartment air:

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #277
BlueJeep

I also have a significant amount of space behind the tire I can use too. Plans for this area include the ECM, a squirter tank, wiring, and hose routing too. Soo much wasted space inside huge AD front fenders.

This is full stuff with a 28" tire, cab 3.5" off the frame, and 2" drop spindles.

And playing a bit with intake ducting. This setup will not work for me, because of the Kwik Performance brackets and high mount Sanden compressor on the passenger side, which will also not fit until I build new inner fenders.

And just for fun, I did drive an old truck a little bit this summer. My grandpa's Model AA:

Next few weeks will probably not yield much progress on the truck. I have a 4 wheeling trip I need to get my Jeep ready for, and I need to set up some gears in a 68 Roadrunner.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 09-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #278
oldman3

Nice update, can't wait to see some more on how the new inner fenders work out...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #279
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Nice update, can't wait to see some more on how the new inner fenders work out...Jim
Me too! Very interested in how that works out. Had some thoughts in this direction too for my stock frame AD panel truck w the same 5.3. The coolant ports dump right into the passenger-side inner fender!

-Panelrodder
2005 Harley Sportster - 'Shemp'
panelrodder81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #280
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panelrodder81 View Post
Me too! Very interested in how that works out. Had some thoughts in this direction too for my stock frame AD panel truck w the same 5.3. The coolant ports dump right into the passenger-side inner fender!

-Panelrodder
Yes they do, and the thermostat housing points off in that direction too. I'm also looking at building a new core support to accommodate a wider dual-pass radiator, just have to figure out how big I can go and still clear the hood.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 09-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #281
xpickup

BlueJeep, Looks like a great start. I know what you mean, there is a lot of stuff to some what hide in the engine bay. With the s10 frame it is hard to get the radiator in. My BBC only has a 19x22 griffin radiator and both the other s10 framed ones I did had the same radiator. The s10 framed ones are offset to the passenger side a little bit. But it does fit low and is centered on the fan really well. Keep up the great work and have fun 4 wheeling.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #282
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
Yes they do, and the thermostat housing points off in that direction too. I'm also looking at building a new core support to accommodate a wider dual-pass radiator, just have to figure out how big I can go and still clear the hood.
I'm running a Champion rad off Ebay that is four pass I believe and it fits in the stock core support. Maybe something to consider.

-Panelrodder
Old 09-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #283
selfbuiltrods

Man this thing is so nice. You should be extremely stoked about your build. I spent so much time on my chassis, I'm super burnt out on starting on the body. Very nice work sir. Keep it up!

Family Heirloom Project: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=579169
selfbuiltrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #284
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpickup View Post
BlueJeep, Looks like a great start. I know what you mean, there is a lot of stuff to some what hide in the engine bay. With the s10 frame it is hard to get the radiator in. My BBC only has a 19x22 griffin radiator and both the other s10 framed ones I did had the same radiator. The s10 framed ones are offset to the passenger side a little bit. But it does fit low and is centered on the fan really well. Keep up the great work and have fun 4 wheeling.

Shannon
I had a 19x22 in it when I had it together before with the 4.3, and that's the backup plan if I can't get a wider on in. I need to go forward with it several inches for e-fan clearance, so I figured why not also go wider if I can. I have to get the hood back from my dad to see how much wider I can go before I have clearance problems...hood is my biggest issue now.

We will have fun, the boys are getting to an age where they like it more. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panelrodder81 View Post
I'm running a Champion rad off Ebay that is four pass I believe and it fits in the stock core support. Maybe something to consider.

-Panelrodder
Thanks. My core support has the bottom chopped off and reworked to clear the s10 steering box, so that probably won't work for me. I can't go taller, but might be able to go wider with my new inner fender design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfbuiltrods View Post
Man this thing is so nice. You should be extremely stoked about your build. I spent so much time on my chassis, I'm super burnt out on starting on the body. Very nice work sir. Keep it up!
Thanks! I started this too long ago, and have had a lot of distractions along the way. Hopefully now I'm in it until it's done!

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 09-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #285
panelrodder81
Doin' it live!

Thanks. My core support has the bottom chopped off and reworked to clear the s10 steering box, so that probably won't work for me. I can't go taller, but might be able to go wider with my new inner fender design.

Ah, yeah I forgot about the S10 steering box. Sorry.

-Panelrodder
Old 09-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #286
xpickup

BlueJeep, nice looking jeep. That looks like it could be a lot of fun. That is good your boys like it and can do it with you. My son loves being out with me while I am working on things. He has his own welding hood and loves to watch me weld. So hopefully he will follow in my foot steps. I know it is hard to wedge a large radiator in a S10 chassis. There is not much room up there. Keep up the great work.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #287
BlueJeep

OK, back to tinkering on the truck this weekend. Had the Jeep out last weekend again, beautiful weather to be out in the woods right now and very pretty colors.

Layers of sediment, pretty cool:

Scenery from the top of a hill:

Oops, should have went left instead of right...glad I wasn't leading that day. Under that muck there's a 39" tire.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 11-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #288
BlueJeep

So today I figured I wanted to make some progress on my exhaust. I've been playing with different manifolds over the past several weeks trying to figure out which ones I wanted to use. I originally planned to use some off a '98 LS1 Camaro but didn't quite like how it tucked so close to the starter on the passenger side. I had 3 sets to mix and match to get what I wanted: steel welded ones off a 98 LS1 Camaro, cast iron ones off a 2000ish LS1 Camaro, and the cast iron ones of the 2003 Suburban the engine came out of. Because of how the s10 frame widens out in the front, I decided to use the passenger side manifold off the Suburban. There was plenty of room and I liked how it left plenty of room for the starter. I then used the driver's side cast iron manifold off the 2000ish Camaro...primarily so I had cast ones on both sides. I couldn't use the Suburban one here because the collector hits the frame before I could get it in place. If it dumped back more like the passenger side one it'd have been perfect, but Alas GM didn't consult with me before designing them. :-)

This morning I started with this pile-O-stuff:

After some cutting, some staring, and some fitting I had it fitting like so:

So after I had the hard side done, I moved on to the easy side:

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 11-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #289
BlueJeep

It's now all tacked together back to the Y-pipe. Next up I need to joggle over about 3" to line up with the inlet of the muffler. I'm using a stock muffler off a 2012 Chevy truck, it's huge and hopefully quiet. Before I can start on the tailpipe I'll need to mount my rear shock on the passenger side and my spare tire so I make sure I miss everything I need to.

Passenger side:

Driver's side:

When I pull it back apart all the seams will get TIG'ed up.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 12-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #290
BlueJeep

Continuing on with the exhaust I worked back from the Y-pipe to the 2012 Silverado muffler. From the muffler it was routed up over the axle and then between the shock and the spare tire, all with the goal of dumping out from under the back of the passenger side rear fender. Mission accomplished!

And built hangars to keep it securely in place:

After I had it like I wanted it I pulled it out and TIG welded the seams. I did this so it would have a smaller weld bead. Last time I did this I MIG welded it, and it was fine just never did like the larger weld beads on the joints. I'm stopping short of trying to blend any of these, the exhaust isn't stainless and it's not for show, just trying to do the best I can on it.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 12-15-2013, 02:06 AM   #291
BlueJeep

Now that the exhaust is done it's back to the front clip. Before I go any farther with my new inner fenders I had some trouble spots I needed to clean up in my fenders.

The worst of it was the mounting flange, pretty much gone for a good distance.

And the spot behind the brace:

I also decided that I wanted to replace a thin spot that had worn through with rubbing on the running board:

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 12-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #292
BlueJeep

These were the basic make a patch, fit it in and weld it. Started with the easy one and worked my way harder. For the flange I felt it would be best to round the corner on the panel and do my weld in such a location as it would be easier to planish. Quite a bit of fitting to get these just right, stretching and shrinking until perfect.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 12-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #293
BlueJeep

And this one was the trickiest one. I wanted to make it in one piece so I started out with a piece which was bent several times in the brake to get the start of the shape. The it was rounded over a post dolly to approximate the roll. Next I stretched the edges of it to give it the curve it needed to follow the wheel well opening. Then it was cutting, fitting, cutting, fitting, cutting, fitting, cutting, fitting until it was so. By that time, welding it in was easy.

What I still have left on that fender is the backing plate that gives it strength where it bolts to the cowl. That was 1/2 gone so I'll work on re-creating that tomorrow...and then start in on same steps on the other fender.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 12-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #294
oldman3

Very nice job on the exhaust, repair work looks great, nice job...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #295
skymangs

Looks great Bluejeep. Always a little bit jealous of the ability to really nail the curves. I wish I was better at it.

Gonna be a REAL nice ride when you're done!
skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #296
tlorber

So, BlueJeep, do I understand correctly that you used exhaust mani's from 2 different vehicles in order to clear?
tlorber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #297
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymangs View Post
Looks great Bluejeep. Always a little bit jealous of the ability to really nail the curves. I wish I was better at it.

Gonna be a REAL nice ride when you're done!
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to when it's DONE! I have a fresh stack of split firewood I need to load in the back and go camping with the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlorber View Post
So, BlueJeep, do I understand correctly that you used exhaust mani's from 2 different vehicles in order to clear?
Yep, driver's side is a 2002-ish Camaro one and passenger side is 2003 Suburban. That's the package that fit the frame, my engine placement, and allowed the most room around the starter for me. I could have used both Camaro manifolds, but chose to run a manifold that left me more clearance for the starter and kept the pipe farther away from the transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Very nice job on the exhaust, repair work looks great, nice job...Jim
Thanks!

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 12-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #298
BlueJeep

More rust repair on Sunday. After I got the fender itself patched up it was time to finish the mounting flange. At one point I was online seeing if these were something that was available commercially...but didn't find any. I haven't worked with 16 gauge much, and don't really want to now. It was more than my bead roller wanted to do, so I switched gears and decided to make it in several pieces. I ended up "tipping" the edge in the vice with a hammer, then stretching the edge to give it the appropriate curve, then welding it all together. 18 gauge is soooo much easier to work with!

The important part, making sure it'll fit with what I expect to bolt it to:

And fits the fender too:

Added a few plug welds so I could take the clamps off:

And validated that all this work was worth it, a rust-free fender that's installed:

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 12-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #299
99 to Life

looks great, luv seeing rust repair actually. I'll have a ton to post on my 52' when I get around to that thread. keep up the good work

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #300
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Great job on the rust repair. That turned out awesome.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote