The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2023, 09:22 AM   #26
dsraven

Re: Duramax Task Force Panel

make sure you keep that serial plate attached and the rivets just as they are. I had to go through the whole deal of getting a new vin. now it is classified as a vehicle made of parts. the model is 1957. and it ain't cheap to get that done.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 06:03 PM   #27
FinnDiesel

Yes agree - i'm partially through the messy ICBC process for out of province thanks to a new process for hot rodders implemented apparently by someone in the provincial ranks with a soft spot for classics. Had to get approval from head office to apply. The rego is BC now, just need the actual inspection after complete.
FinnDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 09:34 AM   #28
dsraven

on mine, it was a good thing I kept the original bill of sales for both trucks and I had lots of pics showing the completed trucks before tear down, with pics of the vin plates attached, and also during teardown as the inspector wanted to see those. I guess it is a good thing they are thorough, they make sure you didn't just steal a truck from a farmers field or steal parts or a vin plate from something else. do your best to keep the vin plate and rivets intact, the rivets were actually pretty flimsy on mine abd one nearly fell off by itself. there is no way it needs to be as pricey as it is though, here in Alberta anyways. the system is for cars, trailers etc etc, anything that needs a plate. it used to be you could fab up a utility trailer and just go get a plate for it. 50 bucks or something. no vin required for a utility trailer. now they need a vin like a car and it costs you 1500 bucks for the dude to come and inspect it, oh well, it keeps us honest I guess.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:34 PM   #29
lower50's

Looks like a very clean panel, You can focus on making it yours instead of rust repair. You will love a diesel in there.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 01:41 AM   #30
FinnDiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
Looks like a very clean panel, You can focus on making it yours instead of rust repair. You will love a diesel in there.
Yes I agree - look for the best condition for sure. I also agree to the diesel. I can't wait. At least I get to daily drive my 02 Duramax Silverado in the meantime.
This Welderup '58 build really got me thinking.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2023, 10:18 AM   #31
dsraven

while thats cool it would suck, in my opinion, for a daily driver or work style truck. too high off the ground and probably a leg burner getting in and out. gotta be a grab handle someplace or the steering column gets pulled out all the time (tilt steering wheel column really takes a licking). the wife would def not be coming for the ride without a step of some sort, great idea, just modify it a bit for what you want. I wonder how the little dirt bike gets on the roof rack, lol.
something closer to the ground would suit me better and would be totally doable but would need smaller tires or bigger wheel openings. for a work truck the deck height about like a stock chevy truck bed works better, especially at the end of a hard construction day when you just don't see your butt climbing up to pull a sheet of plywood off the top of the pile in the back. for a weekend warrior, the height may be ok because you don't get in and out that much probably. nothing against welderup stuff, they just aren't usually practical. more like show vehicles for the rat rod and patina crew with soot belching coolness.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:51 PM   #32
daveshilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
while thats cool it would suck, in my opinion, for a daily driver or work style truck. too high off the ground and probably a leg burner getting in and out. gotta be a grab handle someplace or the steering column gets pulled out all the time (tilt steering wheel column really takes a licking). the wife would def not be coming for the ride without a step of some sort, great idea, just modify it a bit for what you want. I wonder how the little dirt bike gets on the roof rack, lol.
something closer to the ground would suit me better and would be totally doable but would need smaller tires or bigger wheel openings. for a work truck the deck height about like a stock chevy truck bed works better, especially at the end of a hard construction day when you just don't see your butt climbing up to pull a sheet of plywood off the top of the pile in the back. for a weekend warrior, the height may be ok because you don't get in and out that much probably. nothing against welderup stuff, they just aren't usually practical. more like show vehicles for the rat rod and patina crew with soot belching coolness.
We're not all old guys yet
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:08 PM   #33
dsraven

yeah, I get it. I've been called mr practical before. haha. have fun gettin in, my knees don't allow that kinda movement anymore, too much dirtbiking, sledding and other sports when I was YOUNG! haha
Old 03-05-2023, 10:41 AM   #34
Advanced Design

Cool project and I am tagging along!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:02 PM   #35
FinnDiesel

Got the courage and chopped the firewall out ready for the 03 Duramax swap
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2023, 05:09 PM   #36
FinnDiesel

couple more pics
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2023, 12:22 AM   #37
dsraven

looks like a big parking spot for that diesel. I highly suggest some cross bracing in the opening but it is your truck so keep plugging away at it with your plan. good idea to keep those hood hinge mount holes intact.