The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #876
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

Thanks for the kind words Jeff. I'm a Paramedic too, but like you, it's not really what I identify with. Its part of the job, but not really my main thing. I'm technically an engineer. I run an engine out of a single company non ambulance station in the poor end of the city.

My wife reads my thread every day or so to keep up. She says it helps her see what I do out in my shop in a simpler manner. She pointed out last night that my build thread is different than many in that no one ever says that I bought nice or exotic parts, they all compliment me on my work. That's what I try to achieve. I'm not into buying trick stuff anymore, I try to let my work ethic lead the way instead.

It's all icy and cold here but I'm going to register the truck tomorrow to get it legal. No matter what, I have to go get hay with it by Friday. If not, I'm gonna have some hungry livestock. So, hell or high water, its gonna be on the road this week.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 PM   #877
imjeff

Great! I actually look forward to having a place where I need to get hay. I do miss being an engineer, now I'm a BC in the poor end of the city. I never felt right working in areas that were too clean, rich or slow. Don't forget to pass on your knowledge to those kids at work. We owe it to them and, as I'm sure you know, it's very rewarding. I'm sure your OCD is appreciated at work! I have a battalion full of it...to the mental illness level. Keep the shiny side up brother!

Jeff
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 AM   #878
Zane M

I can't wait to see what you do the the GMT400 4x4.
I use your builds and the videos from SWRNC on youtube as inspiration that doing it right the first time and not taking short cuts is the only way to go when I get that "screw it" attitude when crap starts to go wrong.

I also appreciate the fact that you stick to a budget, but take care of things with attention to detail and use of quality components.

Last edited by Zane M; 02-11-2014 at 02:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #879
83GMCK2500

I have followed this thread avidly and I am somewhat saddened to see it come to a close. Your attention to detail and workmanship are outstanding, we should all be as fortunate as you to have apprenticed under someone as meticulous as you have. (That is, I know I would have appreciated it.) I cannot think of any other truck or build on here that the owner can walk up to with the assurance that you can, that the truck will perform as intended.

Very much looking forward to your GMT-400 build.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #880
Stoney
Farm Truck

I have followed this thread as well. I went back and looked to see how long it has been. My how time flies, over a year. Can't wait till the next one gets started.

Mike
Jersey Village, Tx
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #881
legendman

Re: Pain and suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Pain and suffering are the only words I can use to describe this phase. Lord, what a beating it is polishing the inside of the rear Alcoas. I'm rapidly losing momentum. Time to downshift to another gear and keep pulling though. Only one more to go.

Little late to the party, just catching up in this thread...
The wheels look awesome!!!! Gotta hunt a set for my K30.
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #882
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane M View Post
I can't wait to see what you do the the GMT400 4x4.
I use your builds and the videos from SWRNC on youtube as inspiration that doing it right the first time and not taking short cuts is the only way to go when I get that "screw it" attitude when crap starts to go wrong.

I also appreciate the fact that you stick to a budget, but take care of things with attention to detail and use of quality components.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm pretty quirky when I do stuff, being particular about stuff that most folks don't even think about. Lately, it's made me start to rethink selling my trucks like I have always done. I've undervalued my work in the past and sold good trucks to folks who don't appreciate the work and expense I took with the project. Now, I'm keeping my stuff more and kind of settling in to collecting my "last" trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
I have followed this thread avidly and I am somewhat saddened to see it come to a close. Your attention to detail and workmanship are outstanding, we should all be as fortunate as you to have apprenticed under someone as meticulous as you have. (That is, I know I would have appreciated it.) I cannot think of any other truck or build on here that the owner can walk up to with the assurance that you can, that the truck will perform as intended.

Very much looking forward to your GMT-400 build.
I'm excited about the K2500 project too. Probably more excited than I was about this one. I do think there will be a bit of delay before it though. I need to do some work on my tractor and stock trailer. I might make threads about those projects in the Alternate builds section on here. I have to haul my animals to be bred by April so I can have calfs in January. I just committed to buying a beat up stock trailer which needs maintenance and my tractor badly needs repair so I can mow my field and improve the grass quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
I have followed this thread as well. I went back and looked to see how long it has been. My how time flies, over a year. Can't wait till the next one gets started.
I did lay off of this truck for a lot of that time. I just figured winter was a good time to try and finish this one up. Winter is almost over and so is the project. That 4wd is calling my name !

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendman View Post
Little late to the party, just catching up in this thread...
The wheels look awesome!!!! Gotta hunt a set for my K30.
Man, I sure suffered for those wheels. I always wanted a dually with Alcoas and I paid the price to get it, but I'd sure not be too excited about doing it again.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #883
Tx Firefighter

I did get the truck registered yesterday. It's mostly legal now. Then last night Valerie helped me set the toe in. Tomorrow when I get off work, its time to go get hay. I haven't even driven it 100 feet since I did all the work either. I hope nothing pops up and bites me on the maiden voyage. You might see this hillbilly rolling a round bale of hay down the road from town if it does. If I don't get hay soon, the donkey is gonna burn the barn down.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:09 AM   #884
SCOTI

Talking Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

I have 100% trust in your mechanics abilities
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #885
Tx Firefighter

Impressions after the first drive....

1) the swap from 4.56 to 4.10 was just what the truck needed. Its so much better to drive now.
2) I've got a hanging idle. It acts like the IAC is working slow. If you give it time, it will drop back down.

The results of the work and expense are pretty dramatic though.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #886
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Very nice!
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #887
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Truck art right there.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #888
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Awsome!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #889
rusty76

Looks good.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #890
83GMCK2500

Oh yeaaaaaaaah! Good to hear that the gear swap was an improvement, sounds a lot more driveable.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #891
Stoney
Farm Truck

I bet the donkey is even happier....

Mike
Jersey Village, Tx
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #892
Troy Sr

I used to make those bails out in Eastern Montana!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #893
aotte1

The 30 looks really great, always take a second look when I see an older truck on the road. The step side is nice too, I like the single headlight look. How much is yours lowered. May do some lowering to mine after I see how it sits when back together, want just a little clearance above the tires.
Les
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #894
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCncsuHD View Post
Very nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Truck art right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Awsome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Looks good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
Oh yeaaaaaaaah! Good to hear that the gear swap was an improvement, sounds a lot more driveable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
I bet the donkey is even happier....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Sr View Post
I used to make those bails out in Eastern Montana!!!
Thanks fellas.

Stoney, I was kidding with the lady at the feed store awhile back. I told her that the donkey had sent me a text message while I was at work saying that if I didn't bring donkey food home she was gonna burn down the barn.

The lady looked at me dead serious and said "now how is a donkey going to start a fire?"

She got embarrassed when I asked her, "now how would a donkey send me a text message in the first place".

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
The 30 looks really great, always take a second look when I see an older truck on the road. The step side is nice too, I like the single headlight look. How much is yours lowered. May do some lowering to mine after I see how it sits when back together, want just a little clearance above the tires.
Les
Les, the stepside is 5 inch dropped in the front and about 6 in the back. Front is spindles and cut springs, rear is a flip kit.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #895
flashed

Tex ,that truck looks even better with that roll of hay on it .Would you share a pic of the donkey ,we had one that got mistaken for a deer a couple of months ago and was shot and killed ,we miss that donkey ,he was like a puppy .He met me when I got home from work wanting a carrot and his ears rubbed .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #896
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Tex ,that truck looks even better with that roll of hay on it .Would you share a pic of the donkey ,we had one that got mistaken for a deer a couple of months ago and was shot and killed ,we miss that donkey ,he was like a puppy .He met me when I got home from work wanting a carrot and his ears rubbed .
People make fun of me for saying it, but I love my little donkey. I've never owned a kinder, gentler, smarter animal. And, she protected my little calf from coyotes and dogs better than a platoon of US Marines could have. I once saw her try to stomp the neighbors dog to death. When the dog finally got free, it ran through a barbed wire fence at full speed to escape death. There was meat and hair hanging on the barbed wire. For those that don't know, a donkey is a God given guard animal. In any field with small livestock, you will always see at least one donkey. You can put one with a calf or other small animal and the donkey will stand guard next to them day and night without fail, never getting more than a few feet away from them. Nothing will hurt your calfs as long as you have a donkey around. Not a person, a coyote, or a wild pack of dogs. They're born protectors, no training needed.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #897
flashed

Thanks for the pic ,my wife loved it and me too .Our donkey was just as you described ,helped birth calves ,protected herd from coyotes and just plain lovable . We miss our donkey terribly ,thanks again for sharing that.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #898
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Looks great. Can you post a sound clip? I'd love to hear that big block wake up through the magnaflow.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #899
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post

In the upper left background...is that Val on a jet pack, UFO, or something else?

Congrats on the maiden voyage, truck looks great!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #900
Troy Sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
In the upper left background...is that Val on a jet pack, UFO, or something else?

Congrats on the maiden voyage, truck looks great!
Looks like a power cord plug!