The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
Tommy221

Need help ! 1962 c10 turn signal cable

Turn signals suddenly went out .. both on the dash and front and rear lights . I've checked to see if the cable is pulling/pushing the switch and it is not. If I activate the switch on the column manually everything works fine . So I'm guessing the cable isn't attached at the turn signal lever ??? Can this happen ? And would I have to remove the steering wheel to get at it . Thanks for any help guys .
Posted via Mobile Device
Tommy221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
bpmcgee

Re: Need help ! 1962 c10 turn signal cable

Tommy,

Yes, you have to pop the steering wheel off. Underneath there you'll find a lever which activates the cable as you move the turn signal lever.

The cable has a little loop which goes over the lever -- it's not inconceivable that this loop has just slipped off. I also found that the rivet which provides the pivot for my lever was loose, causing enough slop that the cable wouldn't move enough.

Look at the switch and see if you can see any movement at all as you move the turn signal lever. It's possible the cable isn't moving enough (loose under the steering wheel) or that the cable isn't engaged to the switch any more (broken clip at the switch).

B
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Tommy221

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmcgee View Post
Tommy,

Yes, you have to pop the steering wheel off. Underneath there you'll find a lever which activates the cable as you move the turn signal lever.

The cable has a little loop which goes over the lever -- it's not inconceivable that this loop has just slipped off. I also found that the rivet which provides the pivot for my lever was loose, causing enough slop that the cable wouldn't move enough.

Look at the switch and see if you can see any movement at all as you move the turn signal lever. It's possible the cable isn't moving enough (loose under the steering wheel) or that the cable isn't engaged to the switch any more (broken clip at the switch).

B
Thankyou B ! Now one more question . Do I need a puller to remove a 62 steering wheel ? I've never had to remove one before and a little nervous as to how involved this might be :
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
forestb

It is possible to just muscle it off by pulling on it and rocking it back and forth, but not recommended. You should be able to barrow one form the auto parts store or buy one they are not that expensive. If you do try to muscle it off make sure you keep the bolt semi on the bolt a couple of threads so you do not brake your nose. Also make sure you take it off with the wheels strait or mark the wheel and the column some how so that you can put it back on straight.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
62 Barnfind

I was having the same problem. Drop the steering column down and remove the wheel then you can get to it. I replaced mine a few times but it never worked right. I finally replaced the column and now it works perfectly!
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
damnyankee36

I know this is obvious but did you check the fuse? Usually, the simplest solution is the best one. With a sudden failure like you've experienced I would start there or look at some other power problem.

Maybe I'm missing something. What cable are you talking about?
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:38 PM   #7
Tommy221

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee36 View Post
I know this is obvious but did you check the fuse? Usually, the simplest solution is the best one. With a sudden failure like you've experienced I would start there or look at some other power problem.

Maybe I'm missing something. What cable are you talking about?
62 used a cable running from the lever down the hroad column to a switch . Sort of like a bicycle brake system. It is not a fuse issue because if I move the switch manually with my hand , the signals work . Thankyou everyone for the help . Does the horn bezel just pop off or is screwed in on 1962 ??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
62 Barnfind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy221 View Post
62 used a cable running from the lever down the hroad column to a switch . Sort of like a bicycle brake system. It is not a fuse issue because if I move the switch manually with my hand , the signals work . Thankyou everyone for the help . Does the horn bezel just pop off or is screwed in on 1962 ??
Posted via Mobile Device
Pops off.
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:04 PM   #9
62stepside longbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Barnfind View Post
Pops off.
Unless it's a deluxe wheel, if so it has screws.
my build thread. Sending unit solution
62stepside longbox is offline   Reply With Quote