The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
baclay9

Is anyone running Porterbuilt 73-87 Trailing arm conversion?

Is anyone actually running this? I am very interested in it but have yet to find someone actually running it. I would like some reviews on ride and handling. Any help is greatly appreciated.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Pro Performance

Re: Is anyone running Porterbuilt 73-87 Trailing arm conversion?

We had a customer go with this setup, but he is not on the board here. I will see if I can get some feedback from him and post it up. It has been a while, so I am sure he has got the truck on the road by now.

The 67-72 C10 guys with trailing arms can probably give you some feedback also. Same setup.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Seems like alot of the 73-87 guys wanted this rear suspension,... but no one has stepped up to buy/install one,... after Porterbuilt made it a reality.

baclay9,... I hope you get one and post all of your install pics.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Seems like alot of the 73-87 guys wanted this rear suspension,... but no one has stepped up to buy/install one,... after Porterbuilt made it a reality.

baclay9,... I hope you get one and post all of your install pics.
The one that 'started' Baclays truck asked/pushed for this because the truck-arm bag (or coil?) arrangement is soooo much nicer vs the leaf set-up (especially that truck). I highly recommend the swap.
Posted via Mobile Device
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
baclay9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Performance View Post
We had a customer go with this setup, but he is not on the board here. I will see if I can get some feedback from him and post it up. It has been a while, so I am sure he has got the truck on the road by now.

The 67-72 C10 guys with trailing arms can probably give you some feedback also. Same setup.
If there is any way you could do that it would be really awesome. I will be running this system I am sure. Just would love some feedback. I could just do aol way cheaper but don't mind spending the dough if it will pay off in ride quality.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
I can go one better....

I know my 68 w/truck arms & bags rode MUCH better vs that 74 w/the flipped HD leaf set-up. Since the front suspensions were basically the same (dropped spindles, cut coils, relocated upper shock mounts, & HD sway bars) the difference between the 2 trucks was the rear suspension.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Pro Performance

I will keep you posted. It will definitely ride better than a AOL setup, and you won't get axle wrap if you are running an engine with some horsepower. I originally did a AOL on my truck.... I will say you end up spending more than expected. I put new bushings in the leaf springs, got a drop shackle, flip kit & c-notch. I also had labor to have someone press out the leaf spring bushings, since I had the hardest time doing it myself without a press.

- Travis
Old 08-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
baclay9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I can go one better....

I know my 68 w/truck arms & bags rode MUCH better vs that 74 w/the flipped HD leaf set-up. Since the front suspensions were basically the same (dropped spindles, cut coils, relocated upper shock mounts, & HD sway bars) the difference between the 2 trucks was the rear suspension.
Not too hard to ride better than this one does really! Lmao! Of corse you know that better than anyone. I am going to finish the front air ride up on it I am currently doing. Then I will order the trailing arm kit. I talked to Dave yesterday and they are currently 8 weeks out. I am trying to get a shop built now so money is kindof tight but I love driving this thing and just want to get it driving good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by baclay9 View Post
Not too hard to ride better than this one does really! Lmao! Of corse you know that better than anyone. I am going to finish the front air ride up on it I am currently doing. Then I will order the trailing arm kit. I talked to Dave yesterday and they are currently 8 weeks out. I am trying to get a shop built now so money is kindof tight but I love driving this thing and just want to get it driving good.
Posted via Mobile Device
It is a cool little ride. Check the upper shock studs & make sure they're still tight. It was an annual inspection for me....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
baclay9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
It is a cool little ride. Check the upper shock studs & make sure they're still tight. It was an annual inspection for me....
When I swapped out spindles and springs earlier this year I put drop shocks back in the stock locations. Jon now has the shock studs that were on it.

I am currently installing Porterbuilt goodies so their shock relocaters are going on it.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #11
74 stepside

Just a FYI..the Porterbilt trailing arm crossmember is designed for 1975 and up frames. They wont fit 73-74. The frames are different on the drivers side do to a kick up in the frame. I found out the hard way. I could have modified it to fit, but chose to scrap the idea altogether. Nate was very nice and refunded my money after i sent the crossmember back.
74 stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
baclay9

Can anyone confirm this? I have talked to them several times and have said it is for my 74' and they haven't said anything about it. This would really throw a wrench in my plans...
Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Can anyone confirm this? I have talked to them several times and have said it is for my 74' and they haven't said anything about it. This would really throw a wrench in my plans...
To clarify the "difference"....

On the 75-87 chassis, there is a portion of the frame under the rear part of the cab that is flared out for catalytic converter clearance. The 73-74 does not have this flare.

Because of the flare being standard on the majority of the frames, we built the crossmember to fit with the flare.

Since you have a 74 frame, and don't have the flare, we would build your cross-member to fit the 73-74 frame (it's only a slight difference on the position of one mounting tab). At the time 74 Stepside ordered, we only had the one option.

If and when you were to place an order... you will be asked to confirm if you have the "flare" or the straight frame.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Pro Performance

Quote:
Just give me a call, email or PM, and let me know if you have that flare or not in the frame. I can then adjust your order accordingly.

- Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods View Post
To clarify the "difference"....

On the 75-87 chassis, there is a portion of the frame under the rear part of the cab that is flared out for catalytic converter clearance. The 73-74 does not have this flare.

Because of the flare being standard on the majority of the frames, we built the crossmember to fit with the flare.

Since you have a 74 frame, and don't have the flare, we would build your cross-member to fit the 73-74 frame (it's only a slight difference on the position of one mounting tab). At the time 74 Stepside ordered, we only had the one option.

If and when you were to place an order... you will be asked to confirm if you have the "flare" or the straight frame.

Nate
Thanks for clarifying Nate
Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
baclay9

Thank you very much for the clarification Nate. I am 99% sure my frame is 74'. I just got off the phone with Travis and am going to double check if the spot for the cat is there or not. (I seriously doubt it is) and will let him know after Friday.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
SCOTI

Quote:
Thank you very much for the clarification Nate. I am 99% sure my frame is 74'. I just got off the phone with Travis and am going to double check if the spot for the cat is there or not. (I seriously doubt it is) and will let him know after Friday.
It's definitely a 74 as the truck was OE when I got my hands on it. No flare from what I remember.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Should still be the '74 frame, as I never changed anything either. It is soooo cool that this one is getting the trailing arm setup. I wanted to, but the $$$ was never there for it. I really wanted to do it to make it handle. I didn't really mind the ride as much, but if it rides better, that is just icing on the cake to me.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #18
bluex

Quote:

Were you ever able to get any pictures????
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #19
Pro Performance

Yeah, here is a link to his build thread, and pictures of the kit start on page 4.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=clifford
Old 02-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #20
bluex

Quote:
Yeah, here is a link to his build thread, and pictures of the kit start on page 4.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=clifford
Thanks, that's the same guy that started this thread. I thought you were talking about someone else that had the kit...
Old 02-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #21
baclay9

I am still moving on this. Life is getting in the way a little but I will get there one of these days!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:01 AM   #22
PBFAB.COM

We had a customer send us some more pics. I will post some up in the next day or two.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #23
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods View Post
We had a customer send us some more pics. I will post some up in the next day or two.

Nate
Pics?
Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #24
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Nate, is there a chance of getting one of these for a 3/4 ton? I did a 1/2 ton suspension swap with the HD leaves, and I am not really wild about it. I know the framerails are taller under the cab, but I think they are similar above the axle.