The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2017, 09:28 AM   #2101
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Dan, truck is coming together nicely. Good call on the seat tracks with changing them to black. So many details to attend to in a build. Still enjoying tagging along.
Thanks all you guys! Doug, it's all the tiny details that I LIKE thinking of and doing but they take so much time.`

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #2102
MIKESAD50

Dan truck is looking great.
I did 2 1/2" pipe with Xpipe and Stainless works chambered turbo muffle with it exting in the rear fender just in front of the wheel. sounds good and not obnoxious loud, not sure of drone yet since haven't been over 30-35mph yet
Old 07-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #2103
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks,
Mike is strongly advising me not to use a chambered muffler. He puts every car/truck he builds on the dyno and has found as much as 61hp at the wheels using a straight through muffler vs. a chambered muffler! That test was on a mildly cammed LS1. I'm going to follow his advise and most likely use the Dynomax in a long length, 22' or 23" - I want it to sound good but not over-the-top loud. That's sounds cool when you build it and gets annoying after awhile, I think. YMMV.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:25 AM   #2104
lower50's

Wow your doing amazing work!! The wiring is so neat and tidy, taking your time like that will prevent problems down the road. I have always been a fan of straight dual exhaust (no crossover) I just like the sound. Then use a 18" resonator as a muffler.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #2105
ptc

Truck is coming along Dan - probably itching to drive it already??? I know I am with mine...

Found this online for you-talking about retro radios

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...ant=9373652099
Old 07-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #2106
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
Truck is coming along Dan - probably itching to drive it already??? I know I am with mine...

Found this online for you-talking about retro radios

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...ant=9373652099
Thanks ptc! Yes, I'm jonesing to have her done and home.

Retrosound is EXACTLY what I'd originally intended to use but then Mike said they're Chinese-made junk and he's had nothing but problems w/them. I did a couple searches online and there are lots of negative reviews punctuated by a few that say they worked fine. I went with the Secret Audio SST but there are also plenty of negative reviews about those too though Mike swears by them. So I don't know.

I'm not even slightly an audiophile as I mostly listen to sportstalk or Dodgers games and a little news. The only time I really listen to music is on the long trips - and I mostly will not drive the truck for that. Maybe a few weekend trips to my son's in Atascadero (3-1/2 hours north for those not familiar with California).

I am procrastinating badly over starting the bed wood finishing. It's been in the garage for two weeks. I've stained a test piece with 5 different colors but it isn't red oak so it's really only an indicator of what it might look like. Trying to make wood and upholstery sort of "go together" or at least not clash. I plan to start on it this weekend!

Old 07-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #2107
59chev

http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/

This is the one I am looking at. Looks original but has a modern amp, bluetooth, and audio in/out. It is pricey though..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:22 PM   #2108
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks, I found that site right after my Secret Audio SST was delivered! You're right, it's pricey - $525 vs. $279 plus I don't think it has station presets and is not compatible with an iPhone. An iPod yes, but iPhone no.

I'm sure a few of you will now chime in saying, "I have one I would have sold you cheap!" But after searching high & low for a stock radio to fill the dash I finally found one on eBay. $110 (yikes!) and doesn't even work - delivered to my door today. The chrome is excellent, I can't see the pointer and the lens is a little dusty inside. I don't know if the face is accessible to clean but if not? "Patina!" Lol
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 07-27-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:12 AM   #2109
Nut Case

Dan

Here is the post on Porter mufflers that we put in my sons 55 ford with the 3 duces on a 333 stroked Y block. We did a frame off and engine build. Fun project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMzx9M08hec

The best part is when you get back to the tail pipes

Keep on keepin on

NC
Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #2110
Russell Ashley

Dan, I think you might have gotten some bad advice on the radio. Someone chime in if I'm wrong, but the Retro Sound Apache is the good one that you want and the Custom Auto Sound is the one to stay away from. At least that's the way I was advised from members of this forum when I was radio shopping. The Apache model has the features that you want, blue tooth, inputs, a remote, and other features that I don't use now that I have the presets set.. I'm not an audiophile either and so I didn't use the best speakers but it sounds good to me.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #2111
Dan in Pasadena

NC - Thanks for the link. The sound of a traditional Y block, three two's & glass pack mufflers is absolutely classic. LOVE it. I don't know how glass packs would translate to an LS engine, it would be interesting. I'll see if there are any on YouTube.

Russ - Opinions are all over the place on the Custom Auto Sound radios vs Secret Audio and pretty much all the other options. Obviously from last night's post I've already committed to a stichbradio in the dash and I've already purchased the Secret Audio unit....fingers crossed that I don't end up regretting my choices. I know zero about speakers but the upholstery guy I'm using has an audio guy that I'll discuss my choices with when it's to that point.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #2112
Flysocal

I like the idea of a simple radio. Set it to your favorite station and forget it. With all the stimulation we get especially living in LALA land it would be nice to turn the radio off and listen to the motor. I had a truck a while ago with a broken radio and had peace and quite for many long road trips. It was nice. That being said, my 49 is getting a simple in glove box modern radio with USB so I can charge and listen to pandora. 2 4" speakers in the original dash location and that's it. Keeping it simple cause I want to hear my truck. Great progress Dan, can't wait to see this truck done! I'm about 6 months behind you.
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #2113
Dan in Pasadena

Hi SoCal!
This truck may/may not be "perfect" to me. But the one thing I DON'T want is regrets. I waited my entire life to build it so I'm only trying to satisfy myself.

90% of the time I listen to sports talk or the Dodgers game. Very little music but when I do I want to be able to hear it over the engine (MAY be tough w/this engine) and I don't want speakers to buzz or sound "muddy". Other than that my standards are pretty low.
PS: Sitting at The Truck Shop counter typing this. This place is a fustercluck!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 07-28-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #2114
Dan in Pasadena

Friday, July 28, 2017

Photos below show some of what's done as of this week. Most of the spaghetti hanging in cab is in the standard AAW kit for power windows and door locks which I'm not using.

- Dakota Digital HDX cluster was put in today. I REALLY like its look. YMMV
- Dome light, cigar lighter, ignition, gas tank sender are in and terminated.
- Tail, license & headlight wiring is run to the destination, but not terminated.
- Tail lights and license light won't be terminated until bed is installed later.
- ECU next to battery. It'll be directly connected, but they give you 4 ft. of cable. That's all the cable coiled on top the ECU in photo.

As of now, I am running no reverse light/s. I can do it with bed roll lights, small lights near the license, one bigger light underneath, or maybe not use one at all.

The only thing that was not done as promised was re-assembly (disassembled to be polished) & installation of steering column. So I need to pick a steering wheel soon or possibly use the stock wheel for awhile.

There will be a main shut off for the battery and some kind of theft control which hasn't quite been decided. Of course I won't be posting photos or much discussion about that.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 07-28-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #2115
Flysocal

I REALLY like the gauges. I must say, the dash on the TF trucks and cars of this era are my favorite of all time.
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:51 AM   #2116
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysocal View Post
I like the idea of a simple radio. Set it to your favorite station and forget it. With all the stimulation we get especially living in LALA land it would be nice to turn the radio off and listen to the motor. I had a truck a while ago with a broken radio and had peace and quite for many long road trips. It was nice. That being said, my 49 is getting a simple in glove box modern radio with USB so I can charge and listen to pandora. 2 4" speakers in the original dash location and that's it. Keeping it simple cause I want to hear my truck. Great progress Dan, can't wait to see this truck done! I'm about 6 months behind you.
LOL totally agree with this - Im not gonna spend much on mine because Ill have no choice but to HEAR my engine.... !

Love the gauges Dan!
Old 07-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #2117
Kim57

Gauges are very nice.
Kim
Old 07-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #2118
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks everyone who likes the gauges. I know they very UN traditional and definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

I was originally going to go with the aftermarket set that looks kinda original.

Then I thought I'd go with individual round gauges in an engine-turned plate to save money.

Finally I said (unfortunately, I've said this a number of times) "The entire truck is very untraditional with the LS engine, electronic tranny, 4 wheel power discs, IFS and R&P steering...why cheap out now?"

Old 07-29-2017, 09:10 PM   #2119
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Want be long now!!

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:02 AM   #2120
Nut Case

This is just great, all the little fiddly last minute "bugs" Strong work, keep it up. Please do a video as soon as you're ready to fire up/drive and share. I predict your going to some show over labor day and get a Glowing Trophy.....

This makes me anise, I've bustin my butter knives on my 28 X 40 shed. Just wrapping up getting utilities and such blessed of bu the local building inspectors. Then get the floor poured (hydronic heat) 1/2 bath. Got a question on the concretefloor?

Do I slope from the front to back so it can drain, or Flat flat flat?

Respond in PM'm so as to not hi-jack Danny boys thread.

I'm very excited for you dude. Keep on keepin on

NC

Old 07-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #2121
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut Case View Post
This is just great, all the little fiddly last minute "bugs" Strong work, keep it up. Please do a video as soon as you're ready to fire up/drive and share. I predict your going to some show over labor day and get a Glowing Trophy.....

This makes me anise, I've bustin my butter knives on my 28 X 40 shed. Just wrapping up getting utilities and such blessed of bu the local building inspectors. Then get the floor poured (hydronic heat) 1/2 bath. Got a question on the concretefloor?

Do I slope from the front to back so it can drain, or Flat flat flat?

Respond in PM'm so as to not hi-jack Danny boys thread.

I'm very excited for you dude. Keep on keepin on

NC

28x40 is a "shed"?! Wow, my supposedly two car garage from 1930 is 18x18.
Anyway, I will comment here. I'm wrapping up 26 years as A Sr. Project Quality Manager for Metro in LA on our highway and rail projects.

If it were mine I'd finish the slab with a slope toward the door to a slot drain all across the outside of the "shed" door. Not sure where you are or how much (if any) snow you get but a very minimum of 1/8" per foot. More would be better UNLESS you're putting a drain INSIDE the structure. Then slope evenly to the drain.

I definitely plan to take a short video when it starts and its first drive though I don't know if posting a video is any different than a photo.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:16 PM   #2122
lower50's

You are going to be sooo happy you did it all the way you wanted it the first time.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #2123
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
You are going to be sooo happy you did it all the way you wanted it the first time.
Thanks L50's. I THINK you're right. I know the few things I did that aren't QUITE what I originally had in mind and we'll see how the overall project looks like/feels like to me when its done.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #2124
Dan in Pasadena

Friday, August 4, 2017

Little happened this week: One of the guys elderly mother fell and broke her hip, poor lady. He was to have reassembled my now-polished column - which prevented installation - which prevented wiring, yada, had.

BUT - ECU was mounted under seat. Wires for bundle was run through floor, over bellhousing to engine. Then runs over valley cover/under throttle body and will be hidden by air cleaner.

We decided coils will be mounted to top of frame rails as far back as possible, mostly under toe board. I ordered Holley coil relocation brackets.

Next week the column will be re-assembled/mounted. Driveshaft will be delivered/mounted. Truck will be flat bedded to the exhaust shop for fabrication. Supposedly ALL wiring will be run & terminated except rear stoplights & signals. Engine will be started and tuned. Like I said, Chinese water torture

Old 08-16-2017, 07:41 PM   #2125
Dan in Pasadena

Back from vacation, August, 2017

Spent a week in Zihuatanejo, Mexico - Yeah, the place character Andy Dufresne escaped to in "The Shawshank Redemption" - I always wanted to know what it was like and it's beautiful. Hot & humid but parts are picturesque as can be, fishing & surfing great - recommended.

Truck status:
- Mike's fuel rails did NOT fit so had to order replacements; installed.
- Injectors sent for cleaning/balancing, installed & wired.
- Coils remotely mounted on frame rails.
- Exhaust is to the rear of mufflers. Out the back after bed is installed.
- Water pump modified so neck points toward radiator.
- Dropped my bench seat with "Rogelio" for upholstery. Trying to decide on color.

Pics:
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 08-16-2017 at 09:33 PM.