The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Do you take on the scammers?

I just now kept a scammer busy for about 2 minutes. Automated call on "lowering credit card interest rate." I stayed on the line this time and got a foreign-sounding guy although his accent was not as heavy as I expected.

I do a decent Chinese voice imitation. I told him I didn't have credit cards, I only carried cash. He spent the next 2 or more minutes trying to convince me "credit cards are safer." He finally got angry and hung up on me.

That's 2 minutes he couldn't use to harass or scam someone else.

Oddly enough, this is my parents' house and they really don't have any credit cards!

Once I answered as if I was a police officer and that they had called the police station. That was a short call.

Another time I acted like I was interested in the loan they were offering but I needed something in the millions. I kept that guy busy for a while too.

I love the Youtube videos of guys really stringing the scammers out for minutes at a time.

Do you guys also do this?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Do you take on the scammers?

Scammers or telemarketers? I've never gotten an attempted scam by phone. I usually turn the telemarketers down as short and sweet as possible, like one sentence that let's them know they'd be wasting their time pursuing any further. I have been know to be cocky with them, though, and waste their time. Been a long time since I've gotten any solicitations by phone. Good thing. Knock on wood!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
A1971Blazer

If I have the time or if I'm in the mood...
I let the telemarketers go through their entire (written) speech....then I say "excuse me, someone came in the room and I was distracted....could you please repeat that?"

For the IRS scammers...the ones that tell you the police are coming to arrest you if you don't pay....I act as if I'm all scared and start giving them a fake credit card number... but I mumble the last numbers so that they cannot understand them.....after two or three times...they figure it out and hang up.
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

We let the answering machine field our calls for awhile, but that didn't slow down the annoyance (harassment?) calls. I have also tried talking with the callers to let them know I'm not interested, never will be, please remove me from your lists. Calls kept coming. Lately we pick up when the phone rings (unless it's to our cell and we don't recognize the calling number) but I always just hang up as soon as I hear the start of a recording.

I have long maintained that if someone like the POTUS was receiving threats, the callers could be located & dealt with pronto. Catching them is doable but there's little incentive.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #5
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Scammers or telemarketers? I've never gotten an attempted scam by phone. I usually turn the telemarketers down as short and sweet as possible, like one sentence that let's them know they'd be wasting their time pursuing any further. I have been know to be cocky with them, though, and waste their time. Been a long time since I've gotten any solicitations by phone. Good thing. Knock on wood!
Both my phone numbers are registered on the DO NOT CALL list.. What a joke.. That list is totally ignored by most telemarketers these days.. I get at least 5 - 10 solicitation calls everyday.. I'm over 65 and this time of year is the "window of opportunity" for signing up for Medicare and supplemental insurance coverage. Most of the calls are telemarketers wanting to sell me some insurance. I have caller ID and if I don't recognize the phone number, I never answer the call.. At my age, my time is more valuable and I don't waste it on telemarketers and scammers..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
The Rocknrod

Using numerous phone numbers and boiler rooms, I think the phone companies are involved. How else do they get away with it?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

Scammers/telemarketeers? Is there a difference?

I am courteous with a telemarketeer also and even wish them well but scammers, oh gosh, those guys should be drone strike targets and it put on pay-per-view!

Just found this site....it's hilarious!

www.scammer.info

I read somewhere that right now, 60% of ALL cell phone calls are scammers. Next year that was projected to rise to 80%. I even get scam texts. Do you guys get the "Hi! It's Ann" calls? I never had student loans and I don't want health insurance (not at $6K for a deductible). "Open enrollment begins now."
Old 11-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

My simple plan is if I don't have the number in my phone I don't answer....I just laugh at my friends that answer every time ...then get pissed.....Don not call list is a joke...it worked for a while but I still get 10-15 class a week from numbers I don't know..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I answer calls with the WASSSUP!!! bit. I've had an oops of it being my doctor or something but everyone else hangs up...lol

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #10
LEEVON

I get plagued with junk phone calls at my business in waves. 99% of the time I can't do anything. It pissed me off so bad because it interferes with real customers and $$$. One round kept going for weeks and I figured out I could call them back and they'd answer. So I started calling them back and then hang up. I did this on and off for an entire day. The calls stopped. I WON. Once.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

I know they say "don't answer calls from numbers you don't recognize" but that doesn't work if you own a business.

99.9 percent of my customers are from out-of-state. Once I got a call from a blocked number, nearly didn't answer it, did out of curiosity, and she ended up being one of the best renters ever.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:56 PM   #12
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Anyone that knows me, knows not to call Back when I could hear I would just give the phone to one of my kids and let them talk until they got bored then they would just say bye and hang up.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #13
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
Anyone that knows me, knows not to call Back when I could hear I would just give the phone to one of my kids and let them talk until they got bored then they would just say bye and hang up.
OMGosh I love that!
Old 11-30-2018, 05:06 PM   #14
davischevy

I enjoy messing with them. The other day I got one while I was at my workbench. I put him on speaker phone and worked while he asked questions. My answers were never relevant. He finally got wise and hung up.

I friend of mine asks questions about sexual orientation and underwear. Those conversations don't usually last long.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:28 PM   #15
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
I friend of mine asks questions about sexual orientation and underwear. Those conversations don't usually last long.
I once told my wife I was considering that technique. She seemed to be less than enthusiastic about the idea....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:30 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

When I'm in a bad mood I'll ask them what they're doing calling me. I am on the no call registry and I'm going to report this number. I'm sure they know nothing will happen, even though something is supposed to. But they hang up anyway. Not exactly the tone they want to start with. A long way from there to "Yes, put me down for one"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:36 PM   #17
Coley

...I listen to them for about 5 minutes....with occasional quiet pauses....as well as a couple other improvised background sounds....things continue on for about another minute, then I quietly go into the bathroom, flush the toilet and ask then to repeat the last part again, because I missed it.

interestingly...that usually shuts the call down right about then.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:38 PM   #18
Advanced Design

I’ve noticed they have started to use numbers with same area code and prefix as a local call. If caller id shows a company, I typically lift the receiver and immediately hang up. Or if a telemarketing pitch starts I simply hang up immediately.

They call our land lines and cells, each on the do not call list. Very annoying...

Wish Jegs or Summit would call with screaming good deals....
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:08 PM   #19
truckster

I like to wait until I get a real human on the line...

...because my really loud whistle doesn't work on machines.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:23 PM   #20
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

I answer no call from a number I don't recognize. Do you know you pay a fee to talk on the phone?

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:38 PM   #21
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I'm like Doug...there starting using local area codes and prefixes I've been noticing...about once a week I'll go thru missed calls and google them...most all are on a scam warning list...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
Old 11-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #22
Red71gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
I get plagued with junk phone calls at my business in waves. 99% of the time I can't do anything. It pissed me off so bad because it interferes with real customers and $$$. One round kept going for weeks and I figured out I could call them back and they'd answer. So I started calling them back and then hang up. I did this on and off for an entire day. The calls stopped. I WON. Once.
Same here and it is really bad. Sometimes 5-6 times a day. I've read that businesses are free game and can't be put on a no call list which really ticks me off.
Usually it is recordings that say stay on the line for someone. In other words, if your gullible enough to not hang up we will pause the show on our tv and reel in the fish.
All my employees say I'm not available when it is a scammer. Some of the scammers say "are you sure he is not available?" "He told me to call him at this time". I think it should be legal to locate them and dismember them. To far???
I will try the call them back method.

I have also told some of the women they sure sound like they got a purty mouth. I bet you could really......well you know.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:16 PM   #23
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Haha...always makes me think of Peggy.....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F8L2cI8brzQ

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 12-01-2018, 01:19 AM   #24
Boog
laying low

I like some of the ideas I see here.
I think most Americans have cell phones now days and with the declining number of home residence land lines it became harder for solicitors to connect with you so your government made it legal for them to call you on your cell phones too. No call list probably works just the opposite.
Advertisers have the right to send you information about their goods or services either by mail or phones and we SHOULD have the right to totally block them. You get this right? The gov'ment works for big business, not the people.
At work I have to answer all calls. Or did until I got a new phone with caller ID. It helps a little.
At home I still have a land line too and it's connected to my tv so any calls to that number are displayed on the tv. If we do not recognize the number we do not answer it period. We keep the phone ringer turned down so we rarely hear it ring anyway. And what's better is we don't even have to leave our chair to go see who's calling.
And the scammers, pranksters or what ever the hell they are, are another kind of irritation altogether. On several occasions an incoming call displayed as our local fire department services division or something. I tried looking up that number and there isn't one. One time our home phone number displayed as the incoming call, to our home phone. My wife was in the laundry room at the time and I asked her how she did that. How'd I do what she said. I said how did you call our home phone on our home phone. Whaaat? I had to show her.
Oh and the annoying calls at work. Recordings every day of the week. Google this and google that, "this is a very important message DO NOT HANG UP! " I have listened to those things hoping a live person would come on the line so I could have a chance to be real rude to them but nope. Never got the chance. Press 3 if you wish to be removed from the call list. Don't work..
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:36 AM   #25
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I once told my wife I was considering that technique. She seemed to be less than enthusiastic about the idea....
Yeah, my wife didn't laugh either.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote