The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #926
SCOTI

Re: Project: Recycle

Clearance @ the a-arm/upper bag mount is about the same. Each side can be trimmed back as well but it appears it won't take much if necessary:
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:54 PM   #927
TA_C10

Nice work here sir. Precise.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #928
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Well.... The guy cutting the brackets was @ his shop from around noon till 6pm yesterday but I never heard from him about the brackets
One week later & still waiting. He did reach out to me mid-week to say that he sent my template & dimension sheet over to a friend of his that has a laser for 'a better cut bracket'. He again indicated he would have them done/back by "tomorrow". 'Tomorrow' was yesterday.....

Looks like I'll just remake my template & make them by hand like usual. Frustrating.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 04-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #929
TA_C10

You have the patience required But I certainly understand that frustration...

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #930
Inverter

Cant you run that cross shaft bolt from the outside? You’ll have some alignment shims there too.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #931
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

very nice scotti,
so did you check the internals on that engine that N2TRUX gave you... I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled all the guts out!!…. !!!
nice beginning on this
...I will try to follow along....
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #932
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
very nice scotti,
so did you check the internals on that engine that N2TRUX gave you... I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled all the guts out!!…. !!!
nice beginning on this
...I will try to follow along....
LoL…. He didn't mess w/anything on this one. I pulled it apart to correct the worn items & although there was significant carbon build-up on the pistons, it was about what you would expect for a 70k mile motor.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #933
SCOTI

I guess I'll update quickly while I'm here & just edited the pics.

I got my brackets from the contractor @ my work that uses a guy that knows a guy.....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #934
SCOTI

Quick test fit after I picked them up. They're cut from .250" material:
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #935
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Nice. Brackets look good.

Do you think you will have this truck at C10's in the Park later this year?

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #936
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Nice. Brackets look good.

Do you think you will have this truck at C10's in the Park later this year?
Could I deplete my bank account & get it done by then? Yep... If parts were coming in within days of wanting them. The reality is that doesn't happen enough. Plus, when I'm buying stuff, I usually still have to tweak things from that point so it (the process) stacks up. Take these brackets as an example. Almost 2wks for something that I was told could be done overnight. It didn't work out that way despite trying. Now that I have them, they look like a 'go' but I still don't have the final a-arm set-up so I can't confirm. Hopefully they arrive within the next week or two. I have the drivers side base plates cut & drilled already but can't weld things up until I can do final mock-up of the actual parts. For this week, I'll focus on the pass side & get it to the same point as the drivers.

I know you know how it is when you're doing these builds on a tight budget. I am pushing forward & try to do something toward the build every day to keep my momentum.

My goal is to get it finished how I want it vs. by a set date (which impacts decisions). Timelines don't seem to ever work how I want so I stopped focusing on them. Besides.... I wouldn't be able to get it in anyway & it would just be parked in some random spectator lot.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-15-2020, 09:09 AM   #937
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post

I know you know how it is when you're doing these builds on a tight budget. I am pushing forward & try to do something toward the build every day to keep my momentum.

My goal is to get it finished how I want it vs. by a set date (which impacts decisions). Timelines don't seem to ever work how I want so I stopped focusing on them. Besides.... I wouldn't be able to get it in anyway & it would just be parked in some random spectator lot.
That is the best way to finish a project...I think that deadlines are good, but for hobby projects, it can influence decisions that end up being a compromise on what your final vision is or should have been. I have 3 passes to C10's, but only 1 running truck at the moment, it is starting to looks like 1 of the 3 might not make it...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #938
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
That is the best way to finish a project...I think that deadlines are good, but for hobby projects, it can influence decisions that end up being a compromise on what your final vision is or should have been. I have 3 passes to C10's, but only 1 running truck at the moment, it is starting to looks like 1 of the 3 might not make it...
Well.... If it comes down to it, the dually is definitely ready for action.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-21-2020, 07:35 PM   #939
SCOTI

Got the e-mail w/tracking number info today from PB Fab. Arms are on their way as scheduled.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-29-2020, 10:02 AM   #940
SCOTI

Porterbuilt narrowed arms mocked up in place to make sure the C/O's still clear despite the reduction of width. They clear.

I have the drivers side mocked up. The lowers fit w/o fuss. Once in place & secured w/the hardware (not final torque but enough to compress a split lock washer), the arm can easily be rotated up/down.

The uppers have what I feel is an alignment issue between the shaft/bushings & the barrels they seat into.
The bushings go into the barrels.
The bushings slide over the shafts properly.
But the alignment is off when assembling the combination of parts.

I forced the driver side together to allow verifying I could still move forward. With the arm in place & no hardware to limit it's movement, they require a lot of force to pivot them up/down.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #941
SCOTI

And here is what I need to correct w/the uppers....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-29-2020, 05:05 PM   #942
tinydb84

Well that doesn't look right. Is Porterbuilt going to send you replacements?
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #943
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
Well that doesn't look right. Is Porterbuilt going to send you replacements?
I haven't contacted them yet. I've been making inquiry's from others on how theirs worked, if they encountered similar issues, & getting some legit real user feedback.

I forced the driver side upper together so I could just do the physical mock-up. I staged the pass side upper just for pics to show a buddy which confirmed both upper arms if installed 'as is' will be in a bind. Two people I discussed the topic with (both owners of PB Delrin bushed arms) said there were assembly struggles & that the arms were hard to pivot but that everything worked out ok w/full vehicle weight.

We have a thing in my group that's a regular TAG line for me: "ScotLuck". I'll be the one crossing fingers that "everything works ok" & won't get the same positive result. Or.... I expect more out of the sum total of parts I research & decide to use. I suppose when things don't work it makes me a PITA in situations like this (because of my expectations). My thoughts are that a quality Delrin bushed a-arm should be bind-free & easily pivot (not pivot like it's on needle bearings but pivot smoothly w/o any serious bind). After assembling the lower arm, installing it, & seeing/feeling how easily it pivots..... it TELLS me the uppers definitely are not alike.

I've always had a good relationship w/Mr. P. so I'll get my ducks in a row & go from there. I'm going to disassemble the drivers side & get some measurements. I'm thinking maybe some tweaking in the hydraulic press can possibly align things better. Once I have some dimensions, I'll reach out to Nate & see what he thinks the best approach is for a positive outcome.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #944
SkinnyG

I think it would warp like that if the balljoint mount was welded to the arms after the pivots were welded on.

It should warp less if the balljoint plate is welded first, and then the pivots welded on after.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:52 PM   #945
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I think it would warp like that if the balljoint mount was welded to the arms after the pivots were welded on.

It should warp less if the balljoint plate is welded first, and then the pivots welded on after.
Kind of trying to determine that (order of steps). That helps determining if there's a 'better' way if tweaking w/force to arrive back where you want it. I have a machinist buddy going to verify/measure things w/me tomorrow & see what his thoughts are. I'll contact Nate once I have numbers to discuss.

Just a curve in the road
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-30-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:31 PM   #946
SCOTI

Had a second set of eyes look @ the arms today for his thoughts. My co-worker has a machinist background so after I explained my issue/concern the first thing he did was grab a straight edge he uses on equipment @ the plant & checked alignment between the 2 bushing housings. They are not aligned. It does appear one end pulled away as a result of heat.

We then did some measuring on a 'special' machined-flat ceramic/granite block they use just for measuring. Shim stock indicated .115"; dial gauge was a little higher @ .131". The shim stock was slid under @ the center of the barrel; the dial gauge was close to the outer edge so the variance makes sense.

I also brought another set of C10 upper arms (from a different manufacturer) that utilize Delrin bushings to compare pivot resistance @ the shaft for both sets. He agrees there is definite bind from misalignment.

He confirmed we can probably tweak the arms so alignment is better between the 2 bushing barrels/housings. But, since tweaking them could also possibly damage them (doubtful but possible), I e-mailed PB to get their thoughts before I do anything.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-30-2020, 10:53 PM   #947
SkinnyG

Hydraulic press them back into alignment. Upper arms aren't that heavily stressed anyway.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:30 PM   #948
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Hydraulic press them back into alignment. Upper arms aren't that heavily stressed anyway.
Waiting for his ok.

If anything goes wrong, I'm not eating the cost because I shouldn't have to mess w/correcting anything. I'm confident I can get things where they need but again just crossing my T's & dotting my I's.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #949
SCOTI

Nate responded w/acknowledgement that he could see what I was talking about from my pictures. He asked me for some additional specific info & requested that I try tightening the partially assembled Driver side arm to spec since I only zapped it w/my cordless impact.

I torqued the Driver side arm from 100ftlbs up to 140ftlbs. While it did improve the alignment @ the bushing housings the rotational drag was still significant. I responded Friday w/the additional info & will see what the next step is once he replys.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #950
SCOTI

I got a follow-up phone call today & will be moving forward. Based on measurements & numbers discussed, the amount the arm is off is related to some stretch from building & consistent w/what he's seen. Once torqued, the alignment is better. He say these arms do start off tighter than others by design but work fine w/the full truck weight.

I'm good w/moving forward. He offered to work w/me if I'm not ok w/things (as I get farther along w/the assembly). Nate is always great to work & talk with concerning this stuff.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG