The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
z-iowa

Re: Project "Booger"

Good work! Subscribed..
z-iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
jlsanborn

You're really getting after it! HF is good for some things, others not so much.

I'm doing my first paint job and learning it all right here. Elco and a couple others have been my personal instructors and so far I'm really happy with the results. The hardest part is drawing that line in the sand in terms of how detailed you're going to get. You've already been pushing that line on this build I see

Keep up the good work! Anxious to see the crate motor
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
gdavis

I have bought several things from Harbor Frieght and I have never got something bad. I guess I am lucky. But I only buy things that I know will wear out soon. To save money.
Than the big box stores charge way to much and they wear out about the same length of time.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
americanthunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-iowa View Post
Good work! Subscribed..
Thank you! I'll keep updating as I progress!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
I have bought several things from Harbor Frieght and I have never got something bad. I guess I am lucky. But I only buy things that I know will wear out soon. To save money.
Than the big box stores charge way to much and they wear out about the same length of time.
I totally agree. I've been buying disposables from HF for a great many years and never had an issue till this time. I think If they had had an intelligent life form working there things would have worked out better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
You're really getting after it! HF is good for some things, others not so much.

I'm doing my first paint job and learning it all right here. Elco and a couple others have been my personal instructors and so far I'm really happy with the results. The hardest part is drawing that line in the sand in terms of how detailed you're going to get. You've already been pushing that line on this build I see

Keep up the good work! Anxious to see the crate motor
Yea I've been doing a little each day and trying to tackle the bigger stuff on the weekends meanwhile soaking as much information as I can on here to make things go smoother. The build would be so much harder without this forum.

Elco was one of the first to chime in on this thread and has provided great advice Im sure your paint will turn out fantastic.

I do know what you say about that line though. The deeper I get the more stuff I see that I want to replace. Every time I work on old booger I find myself saying "That needs to be replaced or I can't leave that like that" and writing it on my notepad. What started out as a driver has quickly become a very nice driver. So much for the budget

AmericanThunder
Project Booger Build Thread
americanthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Low Elco

Aw, thanks guys! Glad I can be of some kind of help. Welcome to scope creep! I swear its easier just to do a Mike Holmes and rip it to the bones to start with. I think I've done more work on Yeller since its been done than I did building it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
americanthunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Aw, thanks guys! Glad I can be of some kind of help. Welcome to scope creep! I swear its easier just to do a Mike Holmes and rip it to the bones to start with. I think I've done more work on Yeller since its been done than I did building it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey Elco we're thanking you here Havent gotten much done this week very busy at work. They didnt design most of these plumbing systems for sub-freezing temps and I've been busy building the truck fund! Got a few boxes from Jegs but no motor yet. Frame is soaking as I type this so after work I can pressure wash. Wifes gonna love this mess

AmericanThunder
Old 01-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Low Elco

Oh, possible misunderstanding! Scope creep is a term where a projects focus just gets bigger and more of this and that, and since we're here we might as well, etc., until you for get what the hell you started off to do in the first place. No insult intended!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
americanthunder

Quote:
Oh, possible misunderstanding! Scope creep is a term where a projects focus just gets bigger and more of this and that, and since we're here we might as well, etc., until you for get what the hell you started off to do in the first place. No insult intended!
Posted via Mobile Device
None taken...I was just saying we were thanking you and you were thanking us for thanking you!

Oh and this projects got scope creep alright!

AmericanThunder
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
americanthunder

Whew big weekend..First let me preface this whole writeup by saying if you are one of my neighbors I am sorry...Truly sorry for all the car parts laying around my front yard, pressure washer noise all weekend, and the occasional swear word yelled loud enough to hear it 9 blocks away

Friday at lunch I stopped home and as directed by others on here I soaked the whole engine area frame down with "Rinso" oven cleaner from the dollar store. Being close enough to Mexico to spit over the border it seems everything in our Dollar stores is Hecho En Mexico or Hecho For Mexican Consumption. Not sure if this plays into my results or if my engine compartment was just that bad but I went through 6 cans of oven cleaner and another gallon of purple power to get to where I can actually see bolts again! Keep in mind it was in the 70's this weekend and virtually no humidity so anything that was sprayed down dried up fast so that may also have kept the stuff from doing its job.

Friday soaking

Saturday soaking

Final Results

Now if you can get past the millions of tiny grease boogers stuck to the driveway and consequently sticking to everyones shoes... getting tracked into the house I'd say it was a success! I would like to publicly say sorry to my wife however!

On to the next task of removing the bed. Hmmm I saw lots of pictures on here of guys removing their beds with an engine hoist easy right? Seemed no matter where I tried to lift from I couldn't get a "balanced" approach and was always too far this way or that. Well in the middle of my frustration who comes walking up? My good old neighbor who was curious about my project and just happens to stand 6'4" and built like the packers center Garth Gerhart. I asked him if he had a minute to help me lift this little ol bed off Long story short he had no problem on his side but Im a very very very small man by comparison and we barely got it off...But we did get it off. When it comes time to put it back on I'm having the high school football team over for a barbecue.

Here it is off and in this photo you can also see the millions of tiny grease boogers all over my driveway:

Alright now I can work on the rear frame which was much easier than the front. With the exception of some old undercoating it came real clean with a wire wheel on my cordless drill and a quick degrease. I decided to go with Eastwoods rust encapsulator and then follow up with a few coats of Eastwoods satin black frame paint. Here is a before and after the rust encapsulator.

Before

Before I got going I noticed the passenger spring clamp on the rear was missing:

After (took the pic during the process.)

Ahhh is it Monday yet? Saturday night my Dad stopped over for a Scotch and water but before we got started I had him help me roll the bed up onto its side and proceeded to drink until my muscles didnt ache anymore.

Had some work to do Sunday morning to support my truck habit so before I left under the cover of darkness I soaked the entire bottom of the bed with purple power and upon arriving home I hit it with the pressure washer...Virtually nothing came off so I went inside to wake up my son and let him know it was time to work, donned a dust mask, and some goggles and proceeded to wire wheel for the next 4 hours. This photo was taked during the process:

Alright, everythings wire wheeled and degreased Im ready for some paint! I decided to just use good old Rustoleum satin black on the bottom of the bed hopefully I made the right decision. Here is my son applying the paint:

And the final product:

Some things I learned this weekend...
  1. Clean greasy parts of the truck someplace other than your main traffic area.
  2. It takes more than two of me to lift an 8' bed off a 1970 Chevrolet.
  3. Buy better dust masks.
  4. The pressure washer has a low oil shutdown. Always check the oil!
  5. The stuff that comes off of old trucks shouldn't get on the driveway, your face, or in your nose.
  6. You can never have enough spare batteries for your cordless drill.
  7. Im in way over my head

AmericanThunder
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
americanthunder

Forgot to add something..While waiting on my degreaser and oven cleaner to work, and in anticipation of my new motor and trans from Jegs I decided to start removing parts from my old motor to clean them up. When I removed the passenger exhaust manifold it had hairline cracks on the front bolt (assuming its because thats where the AC mounts). Can this be welded or do I just get a new one? Its cracked both top and bottom tough to see in this picture:

AmericanThunder
Old 01-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Low Elco

Get a new one. Dorman makes them, bout $50 brand new. They crack a lot. Work looks GREAT! I keep my old paint respirators, they work great for filtering dust, even after the charcoal is dead. They seal up good and stay on your face. You can get em for $15 at HF.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
americanthunder

Quote:
Get a new one. Dorman makes them, bout $50 brand new. They crack a lot. Work looks GREAT! I keep my old paint respirators, they work great for filtering dust, even after the charcoal is dead. They seal up good and stay on your face. You can get em for $15 at HF.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was looking at these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C17GVI/ref=ox... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C17GVI/ref=ox...
Know of a better place to get them? Looks like my cost is about 80 bucks with shipping. Thanks!

AmericanThunder
Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanthunder View Post
I was looking at these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Know of a better place to get them? Looks like my cost is about 80 bucks with shipping. Thanks!
rockauto.com, and I think you can get 'em without the AIR ports.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
americanthunder

Quote:
Awesome progress and looking great!! You're blazing through the yuckiest part. A little late now, but a couple of cardboard boxes flattened out covers a lot of ground. A blanket works good when there's water involved. Lets the water through but catches the crap like a coffee filter. If you're fond of that cordless drill I'd buy a cheapo corded drill for the wire wheel. Drills don't like side load. Look for the RPM on the nameplate and get the fastest one you can find. A grinder actually works best but it's a little savage. NO LOOSE CLOTHING! You can also expect yourself as well as by-standers to be tattered with little poison darts Safety glasses DEFINATELY required for anyone in the area. If you've got a shop-dog, put him in the back yard when the grinder comes out.
x3 on the manifold. I've seen cast welded with some sucsess (heat, weld, peen, heat, weld, peen, ...) but I've always brazed. I've also seen a lot of small block manifolds that don't wanna bolt up real good. Usually you can heat them (I've thrown one on the fire!) and use welding gloves while you get the bolts started.
Great information! Initially I did have a blanket underneath BUT using a red nozzle at 3000psi the stuff is even all over the house and as far away as 50'. Next time I'll build a containment!

Quote:
rockauto.com, and I think you can get 'em without the AIR ports.
RockAuto seems to list the identical part numbers for my year. Here is the link to the product on RA http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...211&cc=1029833 Noob Question...What are the AIR ports? For the emissions related air injection like my mid 80's Blazer? I dont believe mine had such a thing on it. Thanks again for your help

AmericanThunder
Old 01-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #15
jlsanborn

Elco's right on the muny with the twist knot type. That's what I brush my teeth with. Wifey gets pissed cuz the grinder is so noisy in the bathroom tho. The GFI in there don't like it much either.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
Low Elco

Quote:
Elco's right on the muny with the twist knot type. That's what I brush my teeth with. Wifey gets pissed cuz the grinder is so noisy in the bathroom tho. The GFI in there don't like it much either.
Must.... Not.... Make..... Joke....

AIR ports are those little screw in plug thingys. You don't need em.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

just get a new one. Your build is looking real good!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #18
americanthunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
just get a new one. Your build is looking real good!
Thank you sir!

AmericanThunder
Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #19
jlsanborn

Awesome progress and looking great!! You're blazing through the yuckiest part. A little late now, but a couple of cardboard boxes flattened out covers a lot of ground. A blanket works good when there's water involved. Lets the water through but catches the crap like a coffee filter. If you're fond of that cordless drill I'd buy a cheapo corded drill for the wire wheel. Drills don't like side load. Look for the RPM on the nameplate and get the fastest one you can find. A grinder actually works best but it's a little savage. NO LOOSE CLOTHING! You can also expect yourself as well as by-standers to be tattered with little poison darts Safety glasses DEFINATELY required for anyone in the area. If you've got a shop-dog, put him in the back yard when the grinder comes out.
x3 on the manifold. I've seen cast welded with some sucsess (heat, weld, peen, heat, weld, peen, ...) but I've always brazed. I've also seen a lot of small block manifolds that don't wanna bolt up real good. Usually you can heat them (I've thrown one on the fire!) and use welding gloves while you get the bolts started.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #20
Low Elco

Quote:
A grinder actually works best but it's a little savage.
Man card,.... Under review..... This from a man that has a 1-ton big block crew cab and yanks trees up mountainsides with it. Hmmmm...

My knot brush on my 4 1/2" Dewalt rips 'er down great! They sell something similar at HF for like $10, look in Bomp's thread. Get the brushes at the weld supply or a good hardware store. Makes life a lot easier.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
Low Elco

True. IDK, some dude in texas I saw bought some for his a couple months ago and it stuck. Don't know exactly what he got. 55/ea.

if ya wanna get all HiPo, Speedway in Lincoln sells hi-flow ramhorns. Not terrible, but not cheap.

When you put them in, get some Percy's copper gaskets from AZ and some Permatex Ultra Copper. Skim of the Ultra on the gaskets and slather it on the doughnuts. Drink a couple slow BL's and fire it up! Nice and quiet.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #22
gdavis

Thoes wire brushes are a real life saver and taker. Be careful with them my friend. After a while you can hear the wire hit the building while you use them. Good luck my friend.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #23
oilyrag80

Truck looks good! if you cant find that brake line I have a buddy that can make one up for you. I have a set of ram horns off a 69 I parted out but they have the smog holes (Ca truck) if you want them you can have them.
Just let me know.
oilyrag80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #24
americanthunder

Quote:
True. IDK, some dude in texas I saw bought some for his a couple months ago and it stuck. Don't know exactly what he got. 55/ea.

if ya wanna get all HiPo, Speedway in Lincoln sells hi-flow ramhorns. Not terrible, but not cheap.

When you put them in, get some Percy's copper gaskets from AZ and some Permatex Ultra Copper. Skim of the Ultra on the gaskets and slather it on the doughnuts. Drink a couple slow BL's and fire it up! Nice and quiet.
Can I substitute a Coors Light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
Thoes wire brushes are a real life saver and taker. Be careful with them my friend. After a while you can hear the wire hit the building while you use them. Good luck my friend.
Yea I purcheased some twisted wire ones for my grinder yesterday...WOW what a difference. Probably should be wearing a flak jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyrag80 View Post
Truck looks good! if you cant find that brake line I have a buddy that can make one up for you. I have a set of ram horns off a 69 I parted out but they have the smog holes (Ca truck) if you want them you can have them.
Just let me know.
Thank you sir! Yea Im running into a dead end on the brake line and it seems all the new manifolds have the smog holes with plugs in the so I may be in touch on that but definitely on the brake line!

AmericanThunder
Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
67cheby
67cheby

nice work cleaning up that frame !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote