The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
115-K10

1970 swb K10 Resurrection (AKA "The Chum Bucket") "Photos"

Ok, I am going to attempt to resurrect a 1970 115” wb K10 from the dead. Either I am a glutton for punishment or I just like a challenge. This truck is not a truck but a bunch of parts. Sort of like a fisherman’s chum bucket that contains a bunch of parts. However, the DNA of the original truck is still there. Original drive train, frame and glove box w/ build sticker is what I am starting with from the original truck. Having restored a few GM muscle cars in the past I am not new to the restoration game and know the challenges that await.

I just picked up this truck (bucket of parts) out of the Springfield Mass. area where it spent its life. Being from NY State it is only fitting that the truck was originally assembled in the Tarrytown assembly plant in downstate NY (yes, living in the Capital District Tarrytown is downstate). The gentleman I got it from received it from his uncle and started to restore it about 10 years ago. He stripped it down to the bare frame and rebuilt the tranny and transfer case. He also sourced a cab out of Arizona and a virtually rust free bed. Everything else needs rebuilding or replacement.

The goal for this project is to end up with a nice driver that I can use like a truck and yes plow my driveway with it in the winter. Although I love a clean show quality restoration, they are a lot of work to maintain at a high level. I am always concerned about taking out my ‘71 SS454 Monte in crappy weather and/or getting door dings. That takes some of the joy out of it. I plan on retaining most of the factory options on the build sticker like the red color but the red trim option will most likely be changed to black.

Since this is my first 67-72 K10 build I need some advice from the guys who have need to get parts for these trucks. I will need a few patches in the floor of the donor Arizona cab. See the photos below. Which suppliers have the best quality (thickness, fit ....) sheet metal out there. Specifically I need the outer floor section, lower kick panel and rockers. I do not plan to replace these areas in their entirety since the rust areas are concentrated in one area. The rest of the cab is rock solid including the corners and supports.

I am thinking about running 33” with a 4” spring lift. Any recommendations on the lift brand to get?

I am lucky enough to have a complete donor truck. It’s a ‘72 115” wb K15 that I found locally and saved it from the crusher. The truck is in real rough shape but has not been altered. I will be getting all the missing parts (the usable ones anyway) from it. Some of the items are the Meyers plow, front disc brake set up, gauges, glass exhaust manifolds....... If anyone is interested in the remains of this truck let me know. I have a good transferable registration, protect-o-plate and glove box build sticker for it. Short wheel base 4x4’s are tough to come by these days. If you have a 2wd chassis this could be a way of making it a matching #’s 4x4 with papers.

More to come.
Attached Images

Last edited by 115-K10; 03-01-2009 at 11:30 AM.
115-K10 is offline   Reply With Quote