The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
twich3136

99 14 bolt sf w/ newer leafs. make my own hangers? or adapt stock 99 hangers?

i have run into a problem trying to swap to a disc brake 99 14 bolt sf. and its not the brakes. lol the frame on the 99 is much wider than my 68 longhorn. i wanted to use the newer leafs (63" i believe) which is where my current problem is. there really isnt a lot of info out there for this. the hangers i can find are for toyota swaps which go right under the frame rails. these would work since i want it lifted a bit anyway however i see a huge stability problem moving the leafs so far under the frame. i thought about getting some stock 99 hangers and moving the leafs just outside the frame which might be the easiest way.
but what if i bring the hangers off the frame further to meet with the stock 99 perches on the axle?
i could throw in a home made cross member to keep it from flexing the frame but i still worry about putting that much rotational strain on that old frame.
i do have a class 5 curt receiver that i want to install too but thats another problem with clearance ha ha. it sticks so far forward from the edge of the frame rail i might have problems when the rear hanger moves back, itll be very close if not overlap.
anyone with fab experience able to chime in on this one?

USMC
SEMPER FI
68 Chevy Longhorn 350/400 factory posi
twich3136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: 99 14 bolt sf w/ newer leafs. make my own hangers? or adapt stock 99 hangers?

Anyone done this swap?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: 99 14 bolt sf w/ newer leafs. make my own hangers? or adapt stock 99 hangers?

The way I'm reading this, you need to move the saddle on the axle tubes ?

I guess I don't understand why you'd bother to relocate the springs to match the axle saddles when moving the saddles to match the existing springs would be quicker and easier.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

I put a 2005 14 BFF AAM rear under by 72 K5 Blazer but kept the factory springs. I used new sadles from www.diy4x.com as well as his flip kit. I was thinking about the using longer springs but decided against it for now. If I do this I'll end up with new front spring hangers but they'll have to be custom as I dont think anyone makes them. In order to center the wheel (axle) in the wheel well you'll need to move the front hanger forward.

Check out my thread in the link below...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE

Last edited by mcmlxix; 10-19-2013 at 06:49 AM.
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
twich3136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
The way I'm reading this, you need to move the saddle on the axle tubes ?

I guess I don't understand why you'd bother to relocate the springs to match the axle saddles when moving the saddles to match the existing springs would be quicker and easier.
the problem im seeing is, the new springs will be softer than the old ones. at least until there is weight on them and the helpers kick in. since the frame isnt as wide as the frame they came from i worry about stability when towing. i understand, at this point, that ill need to make my own hangers. so i might make my hangers sit further off the frame than normal to give it more stability.
its a lever problem. if the leafs are moved too far inward, there will be too much weight pushing the truck into a roll. however if i move them out, more of the weight will be on the spring and less of a lever action on the axel. it would be fine if i wanted flex for 4 wheeling but im looking to tow.

put your heels together and hold something heavy off one arm.

[QUOTE]I put a 2005 14 BFF AAM rear under by 72 K5 Blazer but kept the factory springs. I used new sadles from www.diy4x.com as well as his flip kit. I was thinking about the using longer springs but decided against it for now. If I do this I'll end up with new front spring hangers but they'll have to be custom as I dont think anyone makes them. In order to center the wheel (axle) in the wheel well you'll need to move the front hanger forward.

Check out my thread in the link below.../QUOTE]
ill look at your link. im pretty sure im in new territory at this point in the swap since it looks like i need to make new front hangers. i suppose ill have to document my work. since others might be interested.

USMC
SEMPER FI
Old 10-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I got you now. The closer the leafs are together the more leverage will be against the springs and hence less stable when towing.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

If your truck is a 2WD that you want to set up for towing and you think you'll have to make a new front hanger... I would just swap to a factory style truck arm setup with a good airbag in the rear... If you cant get factory truck arm parts near you... check out THIS thread where Ryan built a custom 4 link... His is 4wd but the same should apply for you for the rear of your truck... He also has a 5th wheel hitch in the bed of his truck.

What ever you decide to do, start a thread and take lots of pictures....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
twich3136

i have been dreaming up a custom 4 link. its a leaf truck from day one and if i did anything trailing arm related it would be a 4 link. that 4 link is awesome!!
for now im just going to stick with the stock leafs.

USMC
SEMPER FI
Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
whitedog76

Here's everything you need

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....ducts_id=16969

http://www.barnes4wd.com/Anti-Wrap-L...a-70_p_84.html

I've been trying to come up with a way to put a 14B under my 54 without alot of fabrication. I'm going to have to end up torching and welding myself.

another thing to try, is outboard shocks. Supposedly, it helps with ride quality and stability.

BTW- What's the wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface measurement on your 05 axle?
Attached Images

whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
twich3136

oh awesome those should work perfectly! the axle is from a 99 and it is supposed to be within 3 inches wheel to wheel of my ho 52. if i remember right. i dont have the exact measurements right now but i can get my brother to check it.

USMC
SEMPER FI
Old 02-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #11
whitedog76

The HO52 on my 54 is actually, 62.5 WMS-WMS. I think the 67-72 trucks were wider than what the AD trucks used.

I bought a dually rearend from a 76 that was 62.75 WMS, most guys call them 63", I also have a 67" from an 83 truck. I had a semi-float float from an 03 van that was 70".

I'm just curious what the newer trucks are, for future information.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote