The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2022, 12:07 PM   #1
CantPutTheSmokeBack

C30 Disc brake spindles

I'm replacing everything brake related on my 69 C30, and I figured I might as well upgrade to front disc brakes. Thing is, I've done some searching and many threads I've gone through come down to "just go buy a donor truck" which doesn't give me any answers. I cannot find a 1 ton donor around me. I've looked and the only 1 ton I can even find for sale is $9,000 as a running driving ramp truck. Even if I did find one, I would still want to be buying new rotors, pads, and calipers instead of reusing old used ones. So I would be buying a whole truck for just a couple parts.

I'm trying to find out if I need control arms and spindles, or will the disc spindles bolt to my control arms.

I'm also searching for a set of spindles. With the difference I've seen between C20 and C30 rotors, is there a difference between C20 and C30 spindles? I've been looking for a set of factory spindles for a C30 and cannot find any at all, new or used. I used to work at a parts house and talked to "the guy" who can find almost anything and he still came up blank. I've looked at all the big parts houses, looked online including just general google searches and cannot find any period. My best source is driving around to junk yards to see if they've got a donor truck I can pull them off of. Even at that, yards are few and far between for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
CantPutTheSmokeBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:24 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: C30 Disc brake spindles

-
I can't say for sure on the '69. I just put '73, complete C30 spindle/rotor/caliper assemblies on a '72 GMC C20 frame and it was a bolt on deal. but it had disks to start with.....

I know the answer is on here somewhere but I'm just not sure where.

If you figure out the '69 C20 to '72 C20 conversion then the '73 C30 stuff should bolt on the same way.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-17-2022 at 08:43 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 04:20 PM   #3
CantPutTheSmokeBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I can't say for sure on the '69. I just put '73, complete spindle/rotor/caliper assemblies on a '72 GMC C20 frame and it was a bolt on deal. but it had disks to start with.....

I know the answer is on here somewhere but I'm just not sure where.

If you figure out the '69 C20 to '72 C20 conversion then the '73 C30 stuff should bolt on the same way.

Thanks for the link I hadn't seen that yet. So between you and the link, it looks like my missing link is the spindle. I have found a few factory height C20 spindles, but none of them have also been listed for a C30 which makes me think there is a difference between them. I know the dually wheels necessitate a change in the rotor design from the C20 to the C30, but that also has me questioning whether the spindles are different as well.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

LockDoc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2022, 04:22 PM   #4
CantPutTheSmokeBack

Miffed that. Was trying to quote and screwed it all up.

Thanks for the link I hadn't seen that yet. So between you and the link, it looks like my missing link is the spindle. I have found a few factory height C20 spindles, but none of them have also been listed for a C30 which makes me think there is a difference between them. I know the dually wheels necessitate a change in the rotor design from the C20 to the C30, but that also has me questioning whether the spindles are different as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2022, 08:54 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantPutTheSmokeBack View Post
Miffed that. Was trying to quote and screwed it all up.

Posted via Mobile Device

I just unbolted the upper and lower ball joints & tie rods on the '72 C20 spindles, removed the spindles, set the '73 C30 spindles in place and bolted the '72 C20 ball joints and tie rods into place in the C30 spindles. You can see it in my Dually build/project thread link in my signature below. Like you, I know the rotors are different but not sure about the spindles themselves. I never disassembled either one.

LockDoc
-

-
Old 03-17-2022, 09:25 PM   #6
CantPutTheSmokeBack

My desktop was on mobile view for some reason. Was wondering why I couldn't see anyone's sigs.

Thanks for all your help LockDoc. Now I need to do some digging and see if I can find out if there's a difference between the C20 and C30 spindles. At least I know they should bolt up either way.
Old 03-19-2022, 09:33 AM   #7
CantPutTheSmokeBack

For anyone looking in the future, it seems the C20 and C30 spindles are indeed the same part. The difference comes in with the rotors.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=741216
Old 03-19-2022, 10:08 AM   #8
Getter-Done

Thanks for posting this
I will put Disc on the front of my 67 C30.
I got the (Set-up) spindles and rotors and calipers,
from a Pick your part a few years ago.
I got them For the spindles and will use rotors and calipers for cores.
They came from a Square body.

Do you plan to do a Thread on your swap?
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:17 AM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
For anyone looking in the future, it seems the C20 and C30 spindles are indeed the same part. The difference comes in with the rotors.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=741216

Thanks for that.

For some reason I didn't come across that thread when I did my research a year or so ago.

LockDoc
-

-
Old 03-19-2022, 12:00 PM   #10
CantPutTheSmokeBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Thanks for posting this
I will put Disc on the front of my 67 C30.
I got the (Set-up) spindles and rotors and calipers,
from a Pick your part a few years ago.
I got them For the spindles and will use rotors and calipers for cores.
They came from a Square body.

Do you plan to do a Thread on your swap?

I wish I had a decent junk yard around me. I transplanted from roughly St. Louis to middle of nowhere Tennessee about 4 years ago. The closest decent yard is about an hour and a half away in Nashville. There are others, but they've all got just a handfull of cars and nothing I'm interested in for this whole project.

I may do a build thread. I actually hadn't thought about it until you said something. Along with the brakes, I'm replacing all of the suspension and steering parts. My truck has a freshly rebuilt gen 5 big block and a well used SM465. The truck was never maintained well so I'm just going through and making it mechanically new, so I can actually use it. I'm also replacing the transmission with a T56 thats sitting in another truck which is half built and unusable. Between the old transmission and my 4.10 rear end I'm doing good to cruise at 55 and the mileage ends up being really poor. I know I know, big block and mileage don't go together. With the overdrive I can get my rpms down and hopefully get out of single digit territory. Also ditching the in cab fuel tank for an under bed deal.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:24 PM   #11
Getter-Done

I was thinking of a 5 speed swap.
A T56 would be Great.
Hope you decide on the build thread
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:54 PM   #12
Mike Bradbury

You should do a build thread, not enough C30 builds here.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:17 PM   #13
jumpsoffrock

Will T56's hold up in a C30?

Either way, thank you for posting that C20-30 spindles are the same, good to know.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:33 AM   #14
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Well,

In that thread that was posted I can get the part numbers off 73+ up C30 spindles if needed. I have a few sets of spindles and a full Front Crossmember for one of my One Tons.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:19 AM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
I wish I had a decent junk yard around me. I transplanted from roughly St. Louis to middle of nowhere Tennessee about 4 years ago. The closest decent yard is about an hour and a half away in Nashville. There are others, but they've all got just a handfull of cars and nothing I'm interested in for this whole project.

I may do a build thread. I actually hadn't thought about it until you said something. Along with the brakes, I'm replacing all of the suspension and steering parts. My truck has a freshly rebuilt gen 5 big block and a well used SM465. The truck was never maintained well so I'm just going through and making it mechanically new, so I can actually use it. I'm also replacing the transmission with a T56 thats sitting in another truck which is half built and unusable. Between the old transmission and my 4.10 rear end I'm doing good to cruise at 55 and the mileage ends up being really poor. I know I know, big block and mileage don't go together. With the overdrive I can get my rpms down and hopefully get out of single digit territory. Also ditching the in cab fuel tank for an under bed deal.
Try Texas Square Bodies (on Instagram) in Wills Point TX for C30 parts.

I believe Tony was a member here a while back & has been active on Instagram lately w/several guys coming from out of state to get C30 parts from his place. He has lots of truck & suburban donors so it's possible he has what you need.

If you need help getting something shipped from him, I know another local guy to me that's doing in state (TX) delivery runs but occasionally does trips elsewhere for customers (hotrod_haven on Instagram). It's possible you could arrange meeting somewhere that helps you/works for him.

BOTH of these guys are stand-up die hard gearheads so I don't hesitate to suggest them.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:57 AM   #16
CantPutTheSmokeBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
Will T56's hold up in a C30?

Either way, thank you for posting that C20-30 spindles are the same, good to know.
The T56 is just a temporary deal. I already have it in a half ton thats half put together, and the C30 is drivable, or will be after I finish up the rear end this week. I know it's really not ideal, but it's not for beating on and more so I can do the speed limit. I don't tow much and when I do it's not very heavy so it'll just be the truck fully unloaded most of the time. I'll end up with a 4l80E at some point, but for right now I already have everything for the T56 with the exception of a driveshaft.

The encouraging things I know are, I have seen a few threads where guys were towing other vehicles with their T56 swapped C1500's. And the SRT10 Ram came with them. Where I used to live there were several guys who bought them just so they can tow their viper to the track with their viper truck.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:59 AM   #17
CantPutTheSmokeBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71meangreenc10 View Post
Well,

In that thread that was posted I can get the part numbers off 73+ up C30 spindles if needed. I have a few sets of spindles and a full Front Crossmember for one of my One Tons.

Smitty
Best I've found is classic industries has a set for $250. I may get ahold of you once I get to that point. Rear end is out right now, transmission and half the interior is next.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:01 AM   #18
CantPutTheSmokeBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Try Texas Square Bodies (on Instagram) in Wills Point TX for C30 parts.

I believe Tony was a member here a while back & has been active on Instagram lately w/several guys coming from out of state to get C30 parts from his place. He has lots of truck & suburban donors so it's possible he has what you need.

If you need help getting something shipped from him, I know another local guy to me that's doing in state (TX) delivery runs but occasionally does trips elsewhere for customers (hotrod_haven on Instagram). It's possible you could arrange meeting somewhere that helps you/works for him.

BOTH of these guys are stand-up die hard gearheads so I don't hesitate to suggest them.
Another good option. I'll keep this in mind, thank you. I'm not very active on any kind of social media but I can look them up easy enough.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:59 PM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Another good option. I'll keep this in mind, thank you. I'm not very active on any kind of social media but I can look them up easy enough.
I'm on IG only so understandable. I met Tony (Tx Square Bodies) on here 10-15yrs ago? I know he's not around here much but does the IG & Facebook media as I guess that's where the business ops are these days. He works nights as well & is ALWAYS on the go it seems.

Figured it could be a possibility to keep in mind if you can't source what you need around your home area.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote