The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
RADustin

1976 CCSB Duramax Project #trucknamedsue

Afternoon all,

I have finally had some time to sit down and document the current project I'm working on. I've found through my previous '49 Chevy build that build threads are super helpful later on after the build and I figure some of you may find this one interesting.

As a forward, most of this story is somewhat on instagram, under #trucknamedsue Some of you already follow there, so if you are wondering this is the same build.

My goal is to have an early squarebody CCSB with a duramax, 4x4, and well executed and sorted to be able to drive it everyday- and anywhere in the country at a moments notice. I had a 2015 Denali Duramax truck and although it was nice, it got boring quickly. So the plan is that truck in a square shell, keeping all the original squarebody nick-nacks that make them super cool and improving where current 70's tech and GM fell short. @duramoose88's truck really was the final inspiration I needed to get moving. His truck-

Originally back in March 2017 I found a super cool truck on instragram for sale by a badass dude out in New Jersey. I knew better than to get a truck from there but I couldn't hold back. Truck seemed right, price was good, seller was easy to work with, and I wanted it. So I pulled the trigger- bought plane tickets and my buddy and I flew to New Jersey, grabbed the truck and drove back to New Orleans in 2 days. It was a great experience working on the truck at fuel stops, although quite frustrating and trying at times. I'd do it again though.

Truck was a 1976 camper special C20. 454/4speed. it had a previous restoration years back but seemed ok at first. it drove awesome, body wasn't perfect but it was something I could start with and drive while working on working my way to my end goal.

Some pictures of that truck and the trip to get it-

night we got back-

after a wash-

It was a cool truck- but I found a little old lady who wanted it more than me. The excessive bondo and panel replacement made me tire of it quickly and when I received a really good offer I let it go. The lady wanted it to pull her tinyhouse which was the same color, I thought that was sweet. She never sent me pictures of it hooked up but I know it's done well for her.

About the same time I was selling the '76 chevy I found a '76 GMC. This was in June 2017. I was actually on my honeymoon and brokered the deal over facebook. My younger brother found the truck only 2 hrs away so it was too perfect. This truck was an original survivor, never touched. I don't know of any rust in it, but it is a little beat up. I decided this would be the body for my build. I haven't taken it apart yet, and have minimal pictures. I did drive this one home as well, during a tropical storm. lol.

1976 GMC Sierra Classic C35 with 10,000lbs title. 454/turbo 400. Has literally every option you could get in '76. It also has the correct early style doors which the yellow truck did not have- and bummed me out. So this was important. Also the colors are hideous and just perfect for the build, so I will be respraying it this factory brown/white. Note the white on the insert is not OE but resprayed soon after purchase.

bed is rough, but I won't use any of it.

While I was looking for the C35 and had the C20 I made a trip to Dallas TX to get some parts from a Texas Square Bodies. He has a good inventory of used parts, and is honest as they come.

I picked up a crewcab, fenders, bed floor and front panel, and some door panels and other little pieces. Later I went back and got a frame to cut on and also a super rare GMC tailgate. This allowed me to leave whatever truck I had on the road while I built a roller to swap the body on.

Frame was longer than my '18 trailer LOL-

So this is where the build thread basically starts. I ad the '76 GMC as my body, and plenty of extra parts to get started. I originally did a first round of fabrication to get all the bits I had at the time as far as I could take them while I continued to plan, plan, and plan the build. more on that later.

when I made it back with the frame I got it in the shop with the forklift and laid out the cut for the shortbed. Frame was decent shape, just had to cut off old homemade gooseneck and a few other brackets to clean it up-

frame cut and back together. took 14" out.

strength was a concern as I plan to use this truck to tow with a gooseneck when done. So I beveled and welded the inside first, then back gouged the outside and welded that up for a nice full penetration weld. I then used pieces that were removed and braced the inside of the rails over the cut. Not too much to cause stress risers but enough to support the cut area.

took 6" off the back. The frame had some random hitch welded on, so this was the best solution. I filled and moved the factory bumper holes and bed mounting holes.

test fit with some shortbed tanks. Got these from my buddy in Dallas as well.

cleaned up a bit more and frame was off to sandblasting/prime-

the radiator support also needed some rust repair before it was blasted and primed. I've since realized it's bent so I will need to fix that-

The tailgate I blasted, epoxied, blocked and filled and blocked, and polyester primed. It had been hit right on the M in the GMC but I got it all pulled out and put back right.

The final item I worked on in my initial fab push was the bedfloor. It was damaged from the original bedside removal so I fixed it up.

That's good for this first post. I'll continue the next chapter in a reply.

Last edited by RADustin; 02-12-2018 at 06:16 PM.
RADustin is offline   Reply With Quote