The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

Street Rodders Forever Car Show - Just A Few Pix...of Trucks...Mostly Like Mine!

Don't get too excited. Just a few pix.

My Truck is in paint right now so naturally I was looking at trucks like mine for ideas. And I onto saw one or two other trucks that caught my attention enough to take pictures:

Mine will be a lot like this except it may be a darker red, unless of course it's some other color entirely!

The rear. His simple bed rolls ends have me questioning my decision to leave mine open and use simple Mar-K polished aluminum caps. I like welded shut ends its just that EVERYONE does them...but then EVERYONE does red Task Force trucks too!

Did I mention everyone does red Task Force trucks? Ha ha, I don't care. I only get one truck and I like red, just haven't decide which red!

Can't see the bed rolls ends but I did like the backup light locations, I think. Maybe they're a little crowded but with smaller lights? No, I don't care for the bed roll ends with lights in them. They.re just not my thing

I think I transposed my pix as this is the '55's dash. I like the plain dash but I'm not sure if it's for me. I do like the AC vents in the kick panels to keep the dash uncluttered. I like his upholstery color and his polished pedals, yes there's a lot of billet on the truck but I'll admit I like shiny!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-12-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Street Rodders Forever Car Show - Just A Few Pix...of Trucks...Mostly Like Mine!

Sorry, I didn't take an exterior photo of this GMC (I think it is). Or is this a customized Chevy dash? The dash bulge looks kinda huge but I'm not that familiar with Jimmys.

I thought this was an interesting detail. This guy installed a row of LED's along the rear of his headliner. I kinda wondered why he didn't do them all around the perimeter of the headline - may be too bright?

While this guy's bed roll ends are finished with what looks like ordinary kitchen sink hole covers, it gives the idea of what metal ends will look like. Yeah, kinda chintzy like this (in my opinion) but simple.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-12-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Street Rodders Forever Car Show - Just A Few Pix...of Trucks...Mostly Like Mine!

Another shot of the interior. The plain metal door panels with stainless screws looks really clean here and ordinarily I'd think it needed upholstery. I'll be using new, stock chrome door and window handles,maven with power windows if I go that way, and I think I Am going to (unless funds run low, of course!)

Old 09-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

The only other truck I took I tires of, ha ha.

It's OT to this website but it's so far from a street truck and so well done in keeping with its original purpose I was impressed with it.

I bet driving it is a true handful. THIS is what gives meaning to the expression, "Drives like a truck."

Old 09-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #5
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Great pic's Dan, thanks for posting them!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #6
4DSEVEN

X2 on the kick panel vent. Wish I would have done something similar.
4DSEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #7
crossfire84

I love that IH!
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
Kim57

Cool pics.
Thanks for sharing.
Kim
Old 09-16-2015, 08:04 AM   #9
Bangkok Dean

Great pictures and good quality,thanks for posting.
Bangkok Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #10
mr48chev

Cool pix that show that even while the trucks look pretty much the same at first glance they are actually quite different upon close examination and all are geat examples of good looking TF trucks.

What's not to love about the Binder all geared out in what was probably Forest Service livery. That is a beast of a truck.

I've got an untold number of photos saved on my laptops and in an "ideas and inspiration album attached to my build album for the 48 on Photobucket. All saved for reference and further study as the build progresses.

I'd have to dig them out to remember which one I have but the little round reflectors on either a 53 Chevy Car or 56 Chevy car's taillights just fit the diameter of the round part of the end of the bed rails. I picked up a pair with the idea I'd use them on my bed.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #11
_Ogre

that binder defines what trucks were in the day, that is one tuff truck
anyone who restores an international is in for a job, not like you can buy any parts for it
unlike our trucks, we can go to lmc truck and order all new metal

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #12
Dan in Pasadena

Boy, isn't that true.

If you're building one of our trucks I think you could almost order the ENTIRE truck in pieces from aftermarket vendors. Definitely not so with an IH, Dodge, Or Studie - which would be a challenge to say the least.

Yeah, the Binder (why do they call them that?) is an absolute beast. When I saw that I was hoping a guy in my neighborhood +/- who has a kickass beautifully restored dark green Dodge Powerwagon would be there. That thing is similarly a true beast but beautiful in their own way. The Dodge I'm talking about has a stack of leaf springs under each corner that would choke a whale, lol.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #13
Hblee

IH was mainly farm equipment, Cyrus McCormick or his son developed the first corn binder. McCormick-Deering later became International Harvester. It is just an endearing term for an IH truck. In fact the publication for one of the organizations for IH light trucks and Scouts is named Corn Binder. I've also heard them referred to as a Row Binder. IH trucks are sometimes referred to a Cornfield Cadillacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post

Yeah, the Binder (why do they call them that?)
Old 09-17-2015, 11:28 PM   #14
Dan in Pasadena

Cornfield Cadillacs is priceless, especially back in the day when a Caddy was THE schit!

Old 09-18-2015, 02:32 AM   #15
Daze57

dan
since you like red so much for your truck --''porsche guards red ''
is a color you may want to look into -- older color for those cars but v v nice .
check it out
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #16
Hblee

Viper Red is also a nice color. I have a good friend who builds restomod Corvettes, everyone he has built is VR, in fact every vehicle he owns is red.

Some guys just like red, nuttin' wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
dan
since you like red so much for your truck --''porsche guards red ''
is a color you may want to look into -- older color for those cars but v v nice .
check it out
Old 09-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #17
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks guys. I'm VERY familiar with Guards red. I've owned two old Porsche 944's. A naturally aspirated one and a 951 Turbo. Guards is almost between red and orange. After planning Chevy Torch red I'm leaning toward a darker blood red. It's a little less common than a bright red and I'm thinking I'll like it longer, not get tired of it in my old age, lol!

I want a non metallic dark red. Audi/VW has one, so does Acura and recently I saw a Nissan 370Z in the shop right next to my cab and it was a great color.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #18
MARTINSR

That first red truck I really dig, looks like a lot of detail which is something I am always drawn to.

The flamed steering wheel on the other....I don't get that.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #19
joedoh

I had a BMW for years that was cinnabar red, gorgeous color and always got compliments. it was a darker red, not really blood red but like cinnamon hearts. I love red cars and trucks too, I treat them preferentially!

thanks for the show pics! lots of detail there.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #20
MARTINSR

My Gran Sport is "Flame Red" a Chrysler color from 2000 or so. Viper red at that time was way more orange than Flame Red. But also remember, you do not want to pick a color from a computer screen, or any photo for that matter. You want to see the car, then get the code, then go buy a pint and spray it out on a test panel to get the color you want. Heck, even a code could throw you being there are so many "alternates" of one code that can be miles off from one another! Check out the photo below of "alternates", those are all the same code yellows and the silver too. Same make, model, year and code!

Brian

Old 09-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #21
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
.... remember, you do not want to pick a color from a computer screen, or any photo for that matter....
Yeah, I know you're totally right about this.

I'm about 80-90% certain I want a dark red. A buddy of mine is a printer and pretty knowledgeable about colors/color names. He says what I'm wanting is a Cardinal red. Interestingly, 1957 Chevy cars and trucks had a color named Cardinal red, I don't know if it was available on the '55.2's like mine but at least it's "era-correct." It's just that the color I've chosen is a base coat/clear coat like many modern colors and so they tend to "pop" more. Don't know how else to describe it.

Here's a couple photos of a newer Nissan 370Z. There was one right next to my cab in the shop a week ago and I loved it. It was a bit dusty too and still looked great.

In the 3rd photo it's a lower light condition and still looks very rich. I'm liking that. Opinions appreciated!

Old 09-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #22
RockinKees

Nice pics Dan!
Thanks!

Color choice is always difficult....

1959 Chevy Fleetside Longbed
My build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643426
Kool Guyz CC
Instagram: _King_Kustom_
RockinKees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #23
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

That's a great looking red on the Z!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #24
MARTINSR

The name means nothing, not a thing, the color code off the car is all that matters. Buy a pint and spray it out on a test panel before you commit!

Brian