The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #51
NickL

Re: 49, bagged, 6.0, patina, the works

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
Looks fantastic!

Is that a garage, with a lift, under a house? How tall is the ceiling?
Thanks! Its a small studio apartment up top but its comfortable for me. Ceilings are 12" if I remember correctly.
NickL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #52
booney

Hey Nick it's looking great! Did you fab your rear notch and bag mounts yourself? Funny thing about the Code504 kit . I called them and the girl I talked to said they don't recommend bags. Knowing what you know so far any idea why? She told me the kit drops the body 2 inches. That seem about right to you? Thanks for all the pics!
booney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #53
Advanced Design

Stance looks really good there Nick!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #54
big_moss

Awesome progress so far man for sure gonna follow this one man
Old 08-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #55
47 Fasttoys

FWIW, I have a lift in my shop with only an 8 foot ceiling.
Rob
Old 08-21-2016, 10:38 PM   #56
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys View Post
FWIW, I have a lift in my shop with only an 8 foot ceiling.
Rob
Yeah, but didn't you cut holes in the ceiling or similar for it to clear? I was mostly amazed that a tuck-under garage under a house would have that tall of a ceiling!

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:21 AM   #57
tetfemal

The truck looks amazing!!
tetfemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #58
84blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by booney View Post
Hey Nick it's looking great! Did you fab your rear notch and bag mounts yourself? Funny thing about the Code504 kit . I called them and the girl I talked to said they don't recommend bags. Knowing what you know so far any idea why? She told me the kit drops the body 2 inches. That seem about right to you? Thanks for all the pics!
It's probably due to the rear bed cross members that come with the kit. They would get in the way of a notch. Just a guess.
84blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #59
NickL

Quote:
Tank you! The notch and bag mounts themselves are from Thorbros but everything was fabbed by me. As far as Code504 not recommending air, its most likely because of what was said below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84blaze View Post
It's probably due to the rear bed cross members that come with the kit. They would get in the way of a notch. Just a guess.
Im only using Code504's most rearward frame cross member and the very front one for the bed (as for behind the cab). They include another crossmember that was in the way of my 3 link and notch. Also, the front crossmember will probably need a driveshaft loop added depending on tire size/how low you really want to go.

Its 100% doable (as you can see haha) but I'm guessing thats why they don't recommend it. As far as the body drop, its hard to tell because I never set the truck up on the frame on a stock suspension setup.

I started fabbing up the rear shocks/mounts the other day. Ill get some photos once I have the drivers side shock installed. For now, one of me looking like I have no clue what I'm doing (true statement).

Old 09-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #60
NickL

Quoting this to this page so everyone can see what the truck looks like as of right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL View Post
Rolled it outside for some good pictures finally. Cab needs to come back about 1" but feels good to see it outside for the first time in 2.5 years.

Spent the rest of the day removing everything from the interior of the cab. Sound deadening on the firewall was hours of fun with a putty knife haha.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #61
reaper71

Looking good...

Mark...
reaper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #62
84blaze

Is there a lot of adjustment with the kit, or will you have to modify the kit to move the cab back?
Old 10-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #63
booney

looks great so far! I saw on another thread that he put spacers on the front to widen the stance. do you think yours needs it?
booney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #64
Dan in Pasadena

Hi Nick!

Nice build, don't know how i missed it before now.

My TF is also getting a 6.0. It's an LQ4 out of an Isuzu box truck that was totaled at 81,000 miles. Because it came from that I got a 4l85e trans. Not sure if the 80 vs. 85 trans is any different externally? I'm being told the 85 is a bit stronger for the heavier loads the NP van carried but I don't know in what specific way. The Trans does stick up a bit more in the cab but a factory stock 4 speed trans floor cover will handle it instead of the stock 3 speed cover.

Looking forward to seeing how you finish your engine's "look"? Right now I am planning to give my engine a conventional SBC look using a Holley intake and Delmo valve cover adapters with Mooneyes or Edelbrock finned valve covers and a large/tall foam air cleaner. But of course this could all change as it gets finalized.

Best, Dan

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #65
NickL

Quote:
Is there a lot of adjustment with the kit, or will you have to modify the kit to move the cab back?
Not really other than the holes being slightly slotted to allow for slight measurement discrepancies. What I actually meant by the cab needing to come back was it's not sitting on the actual mounting points it should be, the parking brake assembly is in the way so it's sitting a hair forward.

Quote:
looks great so far! I saw on another thread that he put spacers on the front to widen the stance. do you think yours needs it?
Thanks! If I kept these wheels, they would need them. Most people use 2" spacers on the s10 swap due to the narrowed track width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Hi Nick!

Nice build, don't know how i missed it before now.

My TF is also getting a 6.0. It's an LQ4 out of an Isuzu box truck that was totaled at 81,000 miles. Because it came from that I got a 4l85e trans. Not sure if the 80 vs. 85 trans is any different externally? I'm being told the 85 is a bit stronger for the heavier loads the NP van carried but I don't know in what specific way. The Trans does stick up a bit more in the cab but a factory stock 4 speed trans floor cover will handle it instead of the stock 3 speed cover.

Looking forward to seeing how you finish your engine's "look"? Right now I am planning to give my engine a conventional SBC look using a Holley intake and Delmo valve cover adapters with Mooneyes or Edelbrock finned valve covers and a large/tall foam air cleaner. But of course this could all change as it gets finalized.

Best, Dan
Thanks Dan! I am actually not too familiar with the 85e and its size comparison to the 80e. I can tell you I probably didn't have to trim the tunnel to fit the 80e although it would have been very tight. But I'm assuming with the Lokar shifter I plan on running with the added height over the tranny, the slight tunnel will be needed. We'll see.

As far as finishing the motor, I'm a big fan of the "modern look old truck" style so I plan on using the plastic vortec engine cover to clean things up and hide the intake mani. Although, I REALLY do like Delmo's line of products to make these things look like a true SBC. I'll be sure to follow your build!
Old 10-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #66
reaper71

Hey Nick, Liking the build.
To save fabrication time of having to make a new tunnel you could go with the floor mount shifter from lokar like the one below. I used this style on Blakes 67 and will not go back to the tail mounted one again!
It saves alot of room and if the body ever has to come off you just take off your linkage and the shifter stays with the rig. I already bought one for Orangepeel just my 2 cents.

Mark...
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #67
NickL

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper71 View Post
Hey Nick, Liking the build.
To save fabrication time of having to make a new tunnel you could go with the floor mount shifter from lokar like the one below. I used this style on Blakes 67 and will not go back to the tail mounted one again!
It saves alot of room and if the body ever has to come off you just take off your linkage and the shifter stays with the rig. I already bought one for Orangepeel just my 2 cents.

Mark...
Love this, thanks for the great suggestion. Will definitely look into it! Next up is building the steering linkage and getting the column in. Tired of pushing this thing around without being able to steer it haha.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #68
reaper71

It's always good when you can direct it where to go without having to kick the tires.
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, I've worked on a few of these.
What is your plan for the dash....stock or custom?

Mark...
Old 10-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #69
NickL

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper71 View Post
It's always good when you can direct it where to go without having to kick the tires.
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, I've worked on a few of these.
What is your plan for the dash....stock or custom?

Mark...
Haha thats the story of my life for the past 3 years. I most definitely will, thank you. Dash will be stock with all dakota digital goodies and painted probably an off white along with the remainder of the interior and the wheels.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #70
reaper71

This is the Dash and steering wheel I did for mine, all hand made.
I was just curious to see what other Guys are doing on the interior.

Mark...
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2016, 08:28 PM   #71
84blaze

Have you made any progress recently?
Old 01-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #72
NickL

Quote:
Have you made any progress recently?
I got sidetracked with another small build which is now sold and will fund the rest of this build. Really excited to place a big order here to attempt to finish this thing by July.

Would love to see some different steering shaft ideas when it comes to LS's within S10 chassis. I have an idea but am open to different options.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #73
NickL

Intake Manifold disassembled waiting for new injector orings and a few other things before reassembly. Also added purge solenoid block off.

Finished the other rear shock mounting. Suspension is all done for now. Nissan d21 hardbody shocks worked out to be the perfect amount of travel

Tons of parts coming in the mail so this weekend should be big progress. Motor will be completely reassembled with accessories/intake mani/headers and dropped back between the frame rails. Speedway upper control arms came today and the rest of all the new steering components should be here this weekend minus the notchless tie rods from MMW. Once the motor/steering is in, onto the fuel system.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #74
HULK64

I was planning on running the Proforged S10 steering setup- but I am running drop spindles and close to the same drop setup as you. What's the deal with notchless tie rods? Are they necessary with drop spindles?
HULK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #75
84blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK64 View Post
I was planning on running the Proforged S10 steering setup- but I am running drop spindles and close to the same drop setup as you. What's the deal with notchless tie rods? Are they necessary with drop spindles?
If you want a quality steering set up I'd recommend the Little Shop MFG No-toe kit.

S10 NO NOTCH / NO TOE STEERING SYSTEM

I'm running it on my static S10 Blazer and Bagged 49 3100 on S10 chassis. It's a great piece.