The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
cooperhw

Calling all slicers and dicers

That's all. Anybody who faints, gets nauseous, or throws up a little in their mouth anytime someone cuts into a frame rail please skip right on past this thread. I am wanting to share my idea and plan with those who have no problem cutting, welding, shortening, etc. on a frame as long as it is strong when you get done.
My last build (documented on the 67-72 project build) Meet Homer, I shortened a really long frame a total of 60 inches and turned that old motorhome into a short bed step side 1 ton dually. Had to do a ton of fabrication work to widen the step side bed to fit over the dual wheels but it was worth it. Anyhow, I mention that build just so you know this is not my first rodeo by any means. I am not a pro either, by any stretch of the imagination.
Current build just started is a 78 C-10 short bed fleet side pickup. I am planning to drop it a "little" closer to the deck. I have been thinking about this process and reading a ton of other peoples builds and how the Z notched their frames to gain about 2 inches or so here and sectioned the crossmember to gain another inch or so, before drop spindles ect come into play. I really don't particularly care for my middle chassis to be hanging off the front section of chassis by a couple of inches and a bunch of plating. (Just me)
My plan is a bit different in that I plan to cut out the entire section of the frame where the cab sits (and covers) after I install another section of frame (from a donor frames I have laying around). Sounds a little crazy at first (said the same thing to Newton about gravity), but think about it this way.
My "new" section of frame will be installed, welded, plated, etc., including any gussets or crossmembers needed, before my existing frame is cut in any way except maybe one cut on the bottom frame rail where the tow touch as I would not want to take the chance of cutting into the top of the new donor section. Old school hot rodders did stuff like this on their bombers except they usually cut the old frame and then laid it on top thereby lowering the section the body sits on.
Maybe these pics will help you understand what I am talking about?
Attached Images

cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote