The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
66Z71

Another Crewcab build

Or 2-1/2 trucks
It comes down to either selling my '62 SWB, or turning it into something usefull. I have enough toys and projects, this has to be practical. Currently I have an Suburban with a 454 that we use for towing, and hauling the kids to school. The pickup that hauls garbage on the weekends, and two cars for the the wife and me to drive to work.

The plan is to build a crew cab 4x4 that will pull the car trailer, take the kids to school, take the family up the mountains in the winter, and be a semi-daily driver. I picked up a '77 3/4 ton long bed 4x4 for the frame and running gear. I have my '62 short wide 1/2 ton that will give up its cab & bed. And I picked up a '66 cab, I'm getting tired of hitting my knees getting in and out of the truck.

The two biggest challanges I think are going to be joining the cabs together to get a pleasing B pillar, and not getting drawn into making this more than a practical work truck (I already saw a build with an Impala dash that I really liked). The whole 4x4, and frame swap will be lots of work, but its all pretty straight forward. I've been looking at crew cab conversions for years, and still haven't seen the perfect one. The best I've seen has suicide rear doors.

But as my daughter says, it would be a pain whenever they wanted to get in or out, and I've heard of creaking noises in newer pickups with those doors because of the huge opening they have. So I would prefer seperate doors, but with a nice narrow B pillar. I think the solution is going to be to straighten it, so both the front and rear door are vertical. I'll post more pics later of where I'm at.
66Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
royo

Re: Another Crewcab build

hello welcome to the board there was a member here doing this but ill have to find the thread i love them crewcabs
Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
66Z71

I've found several threads on ones that were started over the years, just not many that were finished. Keeping it simple enough to finish before I get distracted by the next project will be my big problem.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the board

The most recent crewcab build (aside from Dino's which is a CC already) is Prerunnerrob's. I think he has the right idea, but I haven't seen any progress for a while. Sounds like you're using the '66 cab up front? Please keep us updated on your progress......with pics of course

I'm kinda liking that unfinished one in the weeds......wonder why they quit......looks like they were almost there.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 02-06-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #5
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post

I'm kinda liking that unfinished one in the weeds......wonder why they quit......looks like they were almost there.
that one was on craigslist.....A member from texas bought it......haven't seen him on here for awhile though...
Old 02-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

All of a sudden, everyone is either building, wants to buy, or had bought a CC...

Last I heard, PreRunner is in the process of buying/moving into a new house...that probably why he hasn't been on here.

But anyway, welcome aboard and looking forward to your build.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

If you can source a suburban or panel roof it might make your job easier.
the problem that rob was running in to was that the front of the cab is narrower than the back by a few inches, so when you mate the 2 together where the front and rear posts were in the center there is a disparity in roof width.
A suburban roof should fix that, because it increases gradually front to back...
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
66Z71

In fact, I have a suburban roof on order, the guy should be dropping it off next weekend.
Just picked up $100 worth of patch panels last night... I'm gonna lock myself in the garage tonight, and not come out until monday morning.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
65sublime

A couple thoughts.... Your earlier comment about straightening the "B" pillar may get you into trouble. With the "A" pillar tipped forward, you will have a window that is wider at the top than at the bottom. Kinda tough to roll down the window.
???What about the idea of a suicide rear doors, similar to truck in the field,with a narrow bent "B" pillar so either door could be opened independently? My vote would be to leave the windows with tipped forward look.
65sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
66Z71

I'm gettin rid of the knee knocker. It's gonna become a '66. The original plan was to use the '62 as a donor for the back half of the cab since it has the big back window. After stripping it down last night though I don't think I can bring myself to cutting it up, it's too solid. I'm afraid I have to save it for a future build, and find another BBW cab for the donor. Just found a couple of threads and it looks like if I can make a crewcab it will be a cakewalk to convert the small window to a big window.

How does this look?

Last edited by 66Z71; 02-06-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Add Picture
Old 02-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
chevytrucknut

Welcome to the group. That '62 looks like it has lots of nice work done to it. Shame to cut it up.
chevytrucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #12
66Gilbert
1966 Crew Cab & 4X4 Fanatic

Hello from Arizona,

Welcome to the boards, Crew Cabs are so awesome!! Who wouldn't want to to have a 1966 BBW Crew Cab. To bad they didn't make more of them in these years so we wouldn't have to try and make them. I guess that is what makes them so sought after by all of us. I like the photo shop pic of the baby blue truck. Did you do it or have some one do it for you? I woud like to see this in a larger picture and with the rear wheel openings left in there original form. Can you do this?
66Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #13
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Z71 View Post
I'm gettin rid of the knee knocker. It's gonna become a '66. The original plan was to use the '62 as a donor for the back half of the cab since it has the big back window. After stripping it down last night though I don't think I can bring myself to cutting it up, it's too solid. I'm afraid I have to save it for a future build, and find another BBW cab for the donor. Just found a couple of threads and it looks like if I can make a crewcab it will be a cakewalk to convert the small window to a big window.

How does this look?
I like the straighetened B pillar idea. I think it's the most practical way to do it.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:59 AM   #14
CUSTOM DELUXE

I agree with porter, that does look pretty sweet with the straightened B pillars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
I like the straighetened B pillar idea. I think it's the most practical way to do it.
72 SWB STEPSIDE- SOLD!!
03 Z71
04 TAHOE- WIFE'S
03 HD FATBOY 100TH ANNIVERSARY LUXURY BLUE PEARL
CUSTOM DELUXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:11 AM   #15
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Z71 View Post
Keeping it simple enough to finish before I get distracted by the next project will be my big problem.
That's my biggest problem...

Love the plan. Straight B-Pillar looks good. When can I stop by to check it out?

BTW I have a BBW inner panel and glass for converting my 64 (just need to buy the rubber). So if you want to see it done I'll probably get to it one weekend this spring/summer.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:46 AM   #16
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

The straightened B pillar looks pretty good but I personally don't care for the matching rear wheel opening...

Now breakout the sawzall and get to it!

Last edited by TimE; 02-07-2009 at 04:48 AM.
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:06 AM   #17
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

...and please take lots of pics, I have a feeling there are probably goingto be a few home built crews showing up....
here is a photo chop that I did a while back that almost has a straight pillar- it matches the slant of a 60-63 w/s post::
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2009, 01:20 AM   #18
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

With all these crewcabs popping up and with the issues PreRunner Rob was having I've been thinking. Wouldn't it be easier to build a crewcab starting with a Suburban or Panel? Not just the roof but the whole body. Just cut it to length, fit up a pickup rear cab panel, and go from there. What do you guys think?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #19
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

That is what I want to do, and I am mad that I let 3 panels go when the local yard crushed out... the only one I have found around here since has been rolled...
Old 02-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #20
66Z71

Here's a photoshop'd pic of the same truck with a stock rear wheelwell.

Here's the raised one for comparison.

I think it will end up closer to the high one, just not quite that high.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #21
66Z71

Time for todays update...
Since I don't know exactly how to do this, I suppose it doesn't matter where I start. I know the top needs cut, so why not remove the skin first?

Here's what I used to remove it.

Start by polishing the gutter to better show the spot welds.

Use "Split Point" drill bits, they don't walk so you don't have to center punch each spot. I started with 1/8" then went to 3/16" Some had to go to 5/16. Then I still had to pound and pry a bit.

I need some more practice, or I need to just sacrifice one piece instead of trying to save everything.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #22
66Z71

On to seperating the cab into front & rear pieces. Just cut on the dotted line

Spread out 30" for the second set of doors.

Time to make a Crew Cab Rocker. Start with two standard drivers side rockers.

Chop one up like its scrap

Stick it back together.

Sitting in place...

I think a 3x3 piece of square tube will make the beginings of the B pillar. Can't wait for the 'burban roof. Now I have to find a second set of doors, and another door top or two for spare pieces.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #23
joe231

that is cool!
moving right along

Last edited by joe231; 02-09-2009 at 10:29 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #24
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

Wow! You're not letting any grass grow under your feet are ya? Nice progress. Makes me feel lazy...
Old 02-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #25
66Z71

Last update for the weekend... Gotta have doors. Like I tell the kids, you don't need to know how to finish something to start it. Just get started, and figure it out as you go.

B Pillar tacked in place. I measured from the wing window to the outside edge of the door to make sure it was straight up and down. (First attempt was to the inside edge where the glass goes. Turns out the piece is 1/2" narrower at the top.)

After it was aligned, it still set 3/4" ahead of the lower door. I couldn't move it back, or the window wouldn't be able to roll down. As it is, I don't think the window will roll down past the door lock. It will probably have to be changed, but I'll worry about that next week. A short trip to Home Depot got me some 3/4 x 1/8 flat bar that made the perfect filler.

Well, here it is sitting in place. And that's the way it will have to sit for the week.

Now I need two more sets of doors.