The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
renagadebee34

I bit off more than i can chew!

I bought my 58 chevy all excited and didnt pay attention to the details! I wanted to make it a street rod with a 383 stroke but i didnt think i had to change out my whole front clip! also i have been trying bondo and can not get it down! and pretty much my whole floor is rusted out and parts for these trucks arent cheap! haha! i love these trucks but wow! not for a novice!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: I bit off more than i can chew!

I don't under stand the whole front clip comment unless your goal is to have it slammed. You can do a lot with stock axles and upgrade as you go. I know on mine I have had to reevaluate the difference between waiting and doing EVERYTHING I want to or getting to a point I can drive it and they continue upgrading. I basically decided that the mega buck stero, front winch rebuild, expensive halogen lights can be done afterwards when I get the money. To keep from being overwhelmed write down a plan and break it into small pieces. Complete each step and move on. If the motor is important get that done right and installed. Make sure the existing running gear is safe and drive it with the new motor while you plan and save for the suspension upgrade. Schedule the major rust issues and plan on pulling the front clip and bed and attacking it. Once committed it doesn't take that long. Body work just takes lots of practice, put it on, grind or sand it off, repeat until smooth! Again, work on small sections instead of trying to do the whole truck at once.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

We were all novice at one time. Just jump in and do it man. Read and research and do it, this stuff is not rocket science.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
sgtusmc

wow OrrieG that's some really good advice. I think that's worth at least five bones or a beer (which ever is easy'r to ship).
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
jjjmm56

The main thing is to slow down regroup and work 1 thing at a time. Start with what you can do and think and research the other stuff.You tube has yids on body work or go to a local body shop tell them what your doing and ask if you can hang around for a day to get some pointers, maybe buy them lunch. I'm 50, been doing painting bodywork for myself for over 30 yrs and I'm still learning. I learned alot from this site alone and am changing things I did 20yrs ago
jjjmm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
orgalmeister

Just hang in there... this is a learning experience. You'll find out what you can and can't or won't do. All of here started where you are. Some of us (meaning me) are still there.
It ain't going to happen overnight like on tv. I'm on year 10 with this truck but it's my therapy. I'll get it done when I get it done and not a moment before.

Hang in there and enjoy the experience and all the great people on this board.

I'm done now.
Gone: 72 SB, 67 CST, 57 BBW, 47 Panel streetrod,
orgalmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
nuke1

i agree with all, you have to start somewhere and here is better than no place, when i started , i was 15 and had to learn everything on my own, i had no internet or anything, now i do customs and restos for a living, it will all eventually work out, what are you doing to not make the mud lay down, what kind of spreaders, bondo, hardener.... are you using, it all makes a difference. i find one of the best muds i use is Rage Gold, mixed with a little bit of fiberglass resin, tehn mixed with hardener. for hardener a rule of thumb is to go across from one end of the puddle to the next and then an inch or so the other way, a cross in a way. but it also depends on the temperature. i then use steel flexible spreaders and go slow, practice on old panels and go from there. i have a range of spreaders from .5 inch to 18 inches. makes a difference on what you are doin. Also a tip is to always clean your boards and spreaders after, or you will cuss yourself. I use paint thinner. Anyways that is enuff for now, later
James
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
bensimmons_05

CPP sells an engine and transmission tubular cross member set in the ball park of 125 bucks!! Cant beat that.

You also might be able to find a donor truck somewhere that maybe the cab is in better shape that would cost you less than all new floor pans. check your local sales papers.

---The shop's live video feed--- <<< See what I'm up to!

Last edited by bensimmons_05; 02-18-2009 at 10:17 PM.
bensimmons_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:01 AM   #9
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtusmc View Post
wow OrrieG that's some really good advice. I think that's worth at least five bones or a beer (which ever is easy'r to ship).
I'd really like to take you up on the beer, I think we would get along well, BTW I was in the First Cav 71-73.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
renagadebee34

Thanks for all your help guys there are a lot of good tips in here! ill keep ya posted