The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
rbeau30

1971 Chevy C20

Well don't know a whole lot about it, but I bought this truck for a good price, (meaning I actually had the cash for it) I am deciding to tackle a DIY restoration. I saw the truck and absolutely fell in love with it.

I have a lot of time so I am in no rush, and I think I should be able to handle this. I bought this truck mainly because I just got out of an 8 year marriage (welcome back home from Afghanistan present ) and need something to do in the spare time.

Here are some pics:
Attached Images

rbeau30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
john
member #16

Re: 1971 Chevy C20

Looks like a good start. to the board.

Last edited by john; 09-10-2009 at 06:18 PM.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

to the board from Kansas City.

Feel free to ask any question you may have about anything . . . someone will be glad to help you out.

I sure like the 3/4-ton trucks. Looks like you have a decent base for a nice resto.

Check out the site's Truck Tech FAQ.
Be a site supporter.
My more-or-less pathetic build thread.

Board members I've met:
------------------------------
Longhorn Man
Dieselwrencher
jholley
big mike71
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
rbeau30

Thank you! I figure this will be a fun project to learn some welding (rocker panels and cab corners) body work, and learn a bit more about mechanical workings of vehicles.

I intend on getting it as close to original as I can, however I am running a little bit of roadblocks on the research. I do not see these mirrors on pictures of trucks on this board or on the internet. They almost look like the mirrors my Grandfather had on his old Ford Camper Pickup.

I will have quite a challenge though this winter, I only have a 1 1/2 car garage, so it will be tight fitting, but I will make it work. Also the initial investments in replacement tools that went to the ex-wife's boyfriend are going to strain the budget, so I am interested to hear any clever tips and tricks that someone like me could find useful to save on money, but not quality.

Last edited by rbeau30; 09-10-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
rbeau30

My dad flew out here from WI to visit. We got the truck bed onto some saw horses for ease of access to most of the innards. We got most of the boards and straps off the bed, but I discovered that the way I have it sitting on sawhorses, if I take the rest of the bolts off the bed will fall to the floor. I must devise a new way to keep it off trhe ground while I work on it.

I am thinking some way I can make a dolly for it on casters so I will have an easier time moving it around (it is just me so I don't have much help lifting it up whenever I want)

but anyways, I have since started stripping the paint with a combination of aircraft stripper, and a wire brush with elbow grease.
Attached Images

1971 C20 SWB Fleetside undergoing an amateur restore.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeau30 View Post
I intend on getting it as close to original as I can, however I am running a little bit of roadblocks on the research. I do not see these mirrors on pictures of trucks on this board or on the internet. They almost look like the mirrors my Grandfather had on his old Ford Camper Pickup.
That's pretty much what I'm doing with my resto too. I like seeing our trucks looking original, wearing original paint. Yeah, I don't think those mirrors are original either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeau30 View Post
I will have quite a challenge though this winter, I only have a 1 1/2 car garage, so it will be tight fitting, but I will make it work. Also the initial investments in replacement tools that went to the ex-wife's boyfriend are going to strain the budget, so I am interested to hear any clever tips and tricks that someone like me could find useful to save on money, but not quality.
Well, don't feel too bad. I'm having to make do with a small-ish two-car garage, which is half full of tools, the wife's deep freeze, and other assorted stuff in the way. I end up doing a lot of work on out on the driveway.

As for tips and tricks, check out Krue's extensive FAQ thread. And surf the rest of the site when you have some spare time. Some bright person is always coming up with a neat idea.

Check out the site's Truck Tech FAQ.
Be a site supporter.
My more-or-less pathetic build thread.

Board members I've met:
------------------------------
Longhorn Man
Dieselwrencher
jholley
big mike71
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
nuke1

good to see you will have a little stress relief in the form of a truck, that they can be! but sometimes not, sorry about the troulbes, glad u are home though. And you van get a lot done with little tools, there are ways.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
KJN1971

Sorry to hear about your welcome home present. My brother had the same present when he returned from Afghanistan also. Glad to see you working on a truck. My brother is working on antique tractors but none the less restoring something of value. Good luck on your build and will be keeping up with your progress.
Kyle
2001 GMC Denali 1500 truck AWD-Pro Charger (Wife's)
2008 Dodge Charger 6 cyl. DD

KJN1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #9
rbeau30

So I found something really important to the build! especially since I am going to have to figure out what the emblems will need to be affixed to the truck.

Longhorn Man says he thinks it is a "Custom Camper" What do you all think I need to add to my shoppping list?

SPID

Old 09-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Sorry to hear about your story. Come out and meet us all this month if you can. I am sure some of the local guys will be able to help you out with ideas and info. And some may have some extra parts that they might be able to get you. You may even be able to get some of us to come lend a hand now & then in the garage.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
rbeau30

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Well I have some more pictures here. I finally got all the carriage bolts out of the bed keeping the rest of the wood and cross braces in, and now I can walk around inside it to finish taking off the paint. The carriage bolts were a pain in the $#@& to get out. But I bought an angle grinder and some vise grips. (Yes I am such a Newbie I did not have any vise grips) After some elbow grease, coaxing and a lot of swearing, I got them all out.

Here is what the bed looks like now. I also added a couple of what the truck looks like with the bed off. Yes I drive it around like that LOL!
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
splehigh

Looking good! That bed is much cleaner than mine was.
splehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
rbeau30

Thanks!

I am going to keep the wood bed, I'll purchase some pine or maybe order a bed replacement kit with the wood already pre cut and some replacement bolts to bolt down the wood.

The only problem I am seeing is if I should reuse the metal slats that hold down the wood planks or order some new ones.... it is a lot of grinding and refinishing if I re-use them.

Anyone have any experience on here replacing a wood deck for a fleetside bed?

Last edited by rbeau30; 09-21-2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #14
rbeau30

Well Okay, I got the bed taken apart and I am trying to strip the cross braces that are underneath. (pictured)

After about 2 hours of using a wire brush, I have only gotten one partially (on the right) stripped of rust and undercoating.

While I know the most efficient way of doing this would be to sandblast, I have neither the cash to pay a shop to do it for me, or the cash to rent a sandblaster, compressor, and purchase media for me to do it right now.

Is there any chemical way that a DIY guy can do this? Or am I going about this completely the wrong way?
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
71tahoe

Not sure what would be better in the nooks and crannies but for the flats I think a flap disc for your grinder might be the way to go. Someone on here mentioned that for grinding rivet heads and I was skeptical about how well it would do. Tried it on the front hub/drum assy. and it zips them off in a jiffy. Easier to control than a rock too so it should eat up the undercoat without gouging the good metal.

Start on a small area first to judge for yourself.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #16
rbeau30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tahoe View Post
Not sure what would be better in the nooks and crannies but for the flats I think a flap disc for your grinder might be the way to go. Someone on here mentioned that for grinding rivet heads and I was skeptical about how well it would do. Tried it on the front hub/drum assy. and it zips them off in a jiffy. Easier to control than a rock too so it should eat up the undercoat without gouging the good metal.

Start on a small area first to judge for yourself.
Thanks a bunch 71tahoe, I'll try that as soon as I get to home depot to get one

Old 10-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #17
1964C10

Welcome to the board and thank you for your service!! I know it's tough now going through the divorce but that truck will get you back in with the ladies (the right ones this time

As far as getting that tar stuff off, I redid mine cross sills as well and it did take a long time, I probably have 30+ hours in them but I couldn't afford to buy new ones and I am trying to keep the spirit of the truck alive by redoing as much as I can. I scraped alot of mine off with a thin bladed putty knife and then got the rest of with mineral spirits. After all of that I treated mine with phosphoric acid to get to the rust and then put rusty metal primer on it before painting them black.

My build thread
Looking for help on completing the Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

If you didn't build it, you don't really own it
1964C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #18
rbeau30

well, can't figure out what to do with the crossmembers for the bed, they have surface rust on them, and undercoating... until I get an air compressor, and a handheld sandblaster, I spent a few hours wheel-brushing the inside of the bed.

So the outside of the bed is brushed down to bare metal, and nearly half of the inside not including the hard to reach areas. What did I get myself into?

I need to start thinking about metal prep guys, I heard that people use phosphoric acid? and/or rust converter before priming? I need to start buying supplies now to stock up to alleviate the strain on my income. What do you all suggest?

Last edited by rbeau30; 10-13-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Photobucket issues
Old 10-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
1964C10

I have been using phosphoric acid from Home Depot with great results, it really strips the metal down bare, then I rattle can with rusty metal primer and then rattle can paint and it is sticking awesome. Just depends on how much money you want to spend. The phospho is $16/gallen

My build thread
Looking for help on completing the Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

If you didn't build it, you don't really own it
1964C10 is offline   Reply With Quote