The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
jasonroman

noticed water in pass side when it rains...

i have an 85 gmc truck and noticed that when it rains, sometimes i see a dip mark of water on the inside of truck. passenger side, by kick panel. any one have any insite on where and why?
thanks in advance.
jasonroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: noticed water in pass side when it rains...

In my case, it was a windshield seal problem.
My 83 had a worn out rubber seal - replaced and leak went away.
My 76 had a defect in the sheet metal around the windhield opening. The sheet metal was raised up at the upper outside corner, causing the windshield seal not to seat properly. I beat down that raised up area and the windshield seal fit properly.
Suggest that you lift up the carpeting at the kick panel and make sure that you do not have rust forming in the floor at the kick panel wall. A leak can collect under the carpet and rot the floor out without you noticing it. My 76 had to have the floor cut out and a piece welded in because of this - on a otherwise rust free AZ truck.
If you have the windshield seal replaced, make sure you ask the installer to let you look at the opening before the seal is installed, so you can check to see that the opening is flat and smooth. Most windshield shops will never look at this, but the body shops I have talked to say this is a common problem with square bodies, especially 70s vintage.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
jasonroman

i actually had the windshield done a week after purchasing this truck...4 or 5 mths back. kid said area was a bit rusty, but not too bad. should i now have to take window out?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
blackbeaSSt

jason, join the crowd!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=423766
blackbeaSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
jasonroman

thanks. was pretty sure i was not the only one with this issue. my 82 did the same thing., but i got rid of truck before tracing problem down.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
blackbeaSSt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonroman View Post
thanks. was pretty sure i was not the only one with this issue. my 82 did the same thing., but i got rid of truck before tracing problem down.
i put the wiper cowl on since i made that thread and i think that has helped a little. not 100%, but it did help.

Last edited by blackbeaSSt; 11-03-2010 at 09:10 AM.
blackbeaSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

there are several places these leak... either around the cowl , around the windshield, or mine leaked cause the door seals were shot

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
there are several places these leak... either around the cowl , around the windshield, or mine leaked cause the door seals were shot
Mine was the door seals too, it would drain off the drip rails and run right down through the door seal and drip straight down on the carpet. Rusted several holes in my floor.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
nikwho

I finally pinned my leak down when I was putting new carpet in the truck and didn't want it to get wet. A second leak started on the passenger side after the one on the drivers side. My leaks were from the vents in the kick panels. I pulled them both out and it was obvious where the water was coming in. I completely removed the original gaskets, cleaned them all up and used silicone. I let it set up a little bit before installing, but didn't let it dry completely. I'm sure it will be a bear to get them out if i need to pull them for anything again, but it stopped my leaks! Good luck!
Nik
Old 11-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
tucsonjwt

I would remove your glove box and use a flashlight and inspection mirror to look for a leak while a small flow of water from a hose runs at various locations along the windshield seal. If you determine that the seal is leaking, then your installer should remove, look for defect, reseal, reinstall your windshield without cost to you, since he should guarantee his work.
If the seal is not leaking, then follow the advice of the others posting here.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote