The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #1
jocko

Seat Belt retractor reference photo/info, and a question...

1st pic is the question - how does one get that %$^&* retainer spring on the outside of the belt (the thing that makes the belt wind with the retractor) off and on without destroying the fragile little plastic tube in the belt? I've successfully removed the clip, barely - but in trying to get it back on, it's broken two, yes TWO, plastic inner tubes. How have you all done this? It clearly takes a special tool that probably hasn't existed since 1972...

Other pics provided for ref for folks that are looking for reference pics of seat belt retractor parts - shows all parts and I found a great way to wind the spring also. Unfortunately, my plastic tube was cracked on the install and I didn't know it. See my WTB ad in the parts section! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=627184 ha. Thanks gents. Oh - and does anyone around here do seat belt restoration? (i.e. if I have good belts, can someone make a retractor functional again... go figure... A metal replacement cylinder could probably be made, but I bet it'd be too heavy for the little retractor spring to wind it up).
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 05-01-2014 at 12:30 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:09 AM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Seat Belt retractor reference photo/info, and a question...

This might help you some.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584809
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
jocko

Thanks Tim - yep, that's a great thread, unfortunately, it has everything except the one thing I'm trying to learn - reinstall that silly metal clip... Ha. Great reference threads inside there too.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
hooverfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Thanks Tim - yep, that's a great thread, unfortunately, it has everything except the one thing I'm trying to learn - reinstall that silly metal clip... Ha. Great reference threads inside there too.
Jocko, I did two of these today and it worked for me.
I got two pieces of nylon string/twine and looped one piece through each side of the metal clip.
I attached one string to the vice on my work bench (just to anchor it) .

Have your belt, bolt, plastic sleeve, etc. ready to install metal clip. (don't forget retractor cover like I did cause you then have to remove clip AGAIN and start over).
With everything ready I take the second string in my hand (using a glove) and pull to 'spring' the metal clip open, enough to slip over the fabric covered plastic sleeve. After the clip is installed, cut the string and use pliers to pull out from under the clip ... Hope this works for you too. I will post a picture later ....worth 1000 words....

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"
hooverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
jocko

That I an excellent idea - thanks very much, will give it a try.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
hooverfish

picture ........
Attached Images

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"
hooverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
Sklptrljay

Mine looks a little different than yours. Mine has a bolt with a flat end that fits into a slot in the spring/plastic sleeve mechanism. I put the plastic sleeve in the belt webbing, then I put some Vaseline on the outside of the belt webbing and pushed it back into the metal sleeve.

Hope this helps. Yours might be too different though. Good luck.
Attached Images

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
jocko

Thanks sklptrljay, I have the type Larry depicts. I do have some parts in a bucket o retractor parts I have though, so, might come in handy. Would love to have the tool gm used on the assembly line for this!! Ha. Will give the rope method a try - thx again Larry, and thx for the pics.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
jocko

Well, hit yet another snag. Apparently there were 2 types of retractors in these trucks. As noted in my post above, I have the kind that Hooverfish has, not the ones 2 posts above. So, here is a pic of the two types side by side. My truck had the type on the left. Note the differences, thought they are slight, they are showstoppers.

The plastic tube on the left is slightly larger - so its spring will not fit in the plastic tube on the right - not interchangeable. Also note that the one on the left has a nut to secure it once it's inserted through the spring and drum and floor brace, whereas the type on the right has a flatted bolt. The bolts aren't interchangeable. Worse yet - here's the real catch - the floor braces I have will only work with the type on the left - the bolt on the right is too large to fit through the floor brace through holes.

So, back to the drawing board - anyone have the plastic drum and spring and white drum end caps depicted on the left side of the picture?

Thanks guys.
Attached Images