The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
Bowtiguy

HELP! Garage smells like gas. Need a good hose!!

Well, I've been driving my LC9/TR6060 swap 68' SWB for a couple of months now. Initially, I bought 3/8" generic fuel line from Peterson fluid systems ( about 20 min from me) when I was down there buying fittings for the fuel system.

I ran a return system with a NLE tank to MSD atomic EFi fuel rails, through an Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator and then back to the tank.

Initially, everything was fine. Within a week of first fire I started to smell gas in the garage going out from the house. I checked all 6 fittings and the fuel rail O-rings to find nothing. IF I got under the truck and put my nose ANYWHERE on the fuel lines I could smell gas through the fuel line.

Easy solution, Put in higher quality fuel lines. $130 and 2 hrs later, I had my new Aeroquip AQP socketless hose installed. much tougher hose, better looking all the way around. 3 days later....gas smell again.

I cant stand smelling fuel every time I walk out of the house into the garage ( but not as much as my wife). I thought about "upgrading" to their racing or starlight hose but it looks like they have the same internal construction.

any suggestions? I have no problem changing brands, going to re useable ends etc.., just gotta get rid of the smell.
Bowtiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
slotard

Re: HELP! Garage smells like gas. Need a good hose!!

I'd expect hardline to be better. Obviously you need some soft hoses, but limiting the amount should help.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
truckdude239

i'm running summits ptfe stainless braid hose i dont smell anything

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
truckdude239

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...commendedparts

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Are you running a vent line or some sort of cap venting etc? Usually fuel smell is from the evaporating vapors, not as much from live fuel sources.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
Bowtiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotard View Post
I'd expect hardline to be better. Obviously you need some soft hoses, but limiting the amount should help.
Trying to avoid hard line and swaglocks if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
Not a big fan of braided SS, but I might have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Are you running a vent line or some sort of cap venting etc? Usually fuel smell is from the evaporating vapors, not as much from live fuel sources.
NLE tank has a vent line to paper filter. No smell at all. It's definaty coming through the fuel line. The closer your nose gets the stronger the smell is.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
foamypirate

PTFE lined hose, or Gates Barricade EFI rubber hose should cut down on the smell, and both are ethanol compatible.
foamypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #8
Bowtiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamypirate View Post
PTFE lined hose, or Gates Barricade EFI rubber hose should cut down on the smell, and both are ethanol compatible.
Thanks for the info, that's two PTFE lined hose suggestions. Looks like I've got some reading to do.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:02 AM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

The only thing I find weird about this is that I've had my hands in a LOT of LS cars, many swaps. I've seen folks use, PTFE (teflon) hoses, braided hoses, quick-connect vinyl/plastic hose, regular ol' fuel injection line...and even a couple with garbage regular fuel line...and NEVER had one stink like gas, let alone have it happen with a good quality line.

AQP socketless is kevlar reinforced hose, there should be no reason why your seeping through that already!

Is there a noticeable degredation of the line? Like does it feel gummy, soft, or brittle?

Old 12-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
Mayfield

https://techafx.com/
This is what I used on by build. Top quality stuff, little pricey though.
Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #11
Bowtiguy

Quote:
The only thing I find weird about this is that I've had my hands in a LOT of LS cars, many swaps. I've seen folks use, PTFE (teflon) hoses, braided hoses, quick-connect vinyl/plastic hose, regular ol' fuel injection line...and even a couple with garbage regular fuel line...and NEVER had one stink like gas, let alone have it happen with a good quality line.

AQP socketless is kevlar reinforced hose, there should be no reason why your seeping through that already!

Is there a noticeable degredation of the line? Like does it feel gummy, soft, or brittle?
The line(s) appear just like they did when installed. If anything the first lines are more pliable after being R&R'd.

The generic first line set from Peterson Fluid Systems was Parker brand. I used the AQP line teh second time around because that's what came with my Atomic EFi set-up.

I've used the same line on an LS7 crossover before. It may boil down to surface area with the two brands/models of lines I've tried so far. My LS7 had factory hard lines front to back w/ just the crossover on the front of the Fast 102 intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfield View Post
https://techafx.com/
This is what I used on by build. Top quality stuff, little pricey though.
Nice but WOW!! you weren't kidding on price!

I like the Gates stuff FOAMYPIRATE suggested. I've seen that used/pushed on roadkill in the past just not sure what type of ends someone would run with it.

I'm leaning towards this stuff from EARLS but the fittings are way $$$$ too.

https://www.holley.com/products/plum...arts/633006ERL
Old 12-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #12
boostedc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiguy View Post

I'm leaning towards this stuff from EARLS but the fittings are way $$$$ too.

https://www.holley.com/products/plum...arts/633006ERL
You're going to run brake hose for your fuel system? You realize the stuff you linked has a tiny id?

I'm with Brew on this one and baffled you are getting a fuel smell through the lines. I too have seen lines of all types run on efi motors and never had an issue with smell like described. As Brew said, when customers complain about a fuel smell with no leaks it turns out to be a venting issue.

Good luck, but i think running -6 an brake line is a waste of time and money.

Instagram: DRVFSTR

Current Project: Beatrix - 1967 SWB LQ4/78mm Turbo/4L80e/ on bags

Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634691

Last edited by boostedc10; 12-14-2015 at 05:18 PM.
boostedc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #13
racecougar

Fuel odor is pretty typical when running regular rubber -AN hose. PTFE is the solution.

Side benefit: the PTFE hose is less aggravating to assemble, IMO.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:37 PM   #14
clemsonteg

Does the PTFE line require PTFE line specific fittings?
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #15
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

yes

Old 12-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #16
Bowtiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedc10 View Post
You're going to run brake hose for your fuel system? You realize the stuff you linked has a tiny id?

I'm with Brew on this one and baffled you are getting a fuel smell through the lines. I too have seen lines of all types run on efi motors and never had an issue with smell like described. As Brew said, when customers complain about a fuel smell with no leaks it turns out to be a venting issue.

Good luck, but i think running -6 an brake line is a waste of time and money.
Nope, Tagged the wrong thing there. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
Fuel odor is pretty typical when running regular rubber -AN hose. PTFE is the solution.

Side benefit: the PTFE hose is less aggravating to assemble, IMO.
Quote:
yes
Even better news. Now to try and hunt down some PTFE hose/ends that isn't silver. I'll report back my results after I switch them over the Holidays.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #17
clemsonteg

Www.Anfittingsdirect.com has some black braided ptfe hose.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #18
Bowtiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonteg View Post
Www.Anfittingsdirect.com has some black braided ptfe hose.
Thanks for the link! I forgot about those guys. I bought product from them for my 2.2/2.5 turbo dodge projects back in the day. Good selection and better return policy than these guys...

http://www.anplumbing.com/
Old 01-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #19
Bowtiguy

Efi fuel line for sale, "may" smell slightly
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #20
clemsonteg

What did you settle on?
Old 01-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #21
Bowtiguy

Quote:
What did you settle on?
I ended up going with this product. A touch stiffer than the last two but I don't have any severe bends in my layout. Haven't had time to install it yet between the Holidays/work and the fact that my garage floor is 36 degrees.

I'll give a report once I can get some miles on it.

http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/stai...es-p-1240.html
Old 01-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #22
clemsonteg

I would be interested to know how you like it and how the installation of the hose ends is with the additional coating. I am looking at the same line for mine.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #23
MattPSU

I've been having the same issue. Ever since my swap, my garage smells like gasoline from the second my truck pulls in. I thought for sure it was a ventilation issue, and I've added filers, looked at different caps, etc. But after reading this thread, doing some more research and finally crawling under my truck and smelling the SS braided fuel lines, I confirmed that my fuel line was the source of the smell.

I swapped it out with a PTFE lined hose, and the smell is gone. It's been in my garage with the door closed for more than 24 straight hours and there's no smell.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy and helping me to solve the issue everyone!

- Matt

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #24
Bowtiguy

Quote:
I would be interested to know how you like it and how the installation of the hose ends is with the additional coating. I am looking at the same line for mine.
I got a chance to install the lines a couple weeks ago. Not quite as flexible as the aeroquip lines but not horrible. The fittings were a little tricky but not much more difficult than SS braided lines. I've turned on the intank fuel pump and started the LS a handful of times and I'm happy to report NO GAS SMELL!

I left the aeroquip line/ends on the fuel rail crossover of my atomic Efi system. I'm happy to report that small section doesn't leach any noticeable fuel odor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPSU View Post
I've been having the same issue. Ever since my swap, my garage smells like gasoline from the second my truck pulls in. I thought for sure it was a ventilation issue, and I've added filers, looked at different caps, etc. But after reading this thread, doing some more research and finally crawling under my truck and smelling the SS braided fuel lines, I confirmed that my fuel line was the source of the smell.

I swapped it out with a PTFE lined hose, and the smell is gone. It's been in my garage with the door closed for more than 24 straight hours and there's no smell.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy and helping me to solve the issue everyone!

- Matt
I'm glad it worked out for you.

For everyones info: Here is a copy of the FAQ section off of anfittingsdirects web site outlining WHY you want to use a PTFE line.

PTFE / Teflon - The Right Way To Go

Be careful when buying AN fittings and stainless steel lines, because they are not all the same!

Most of the braided stainless steel lines and fittings that you can buy actually have a rubber (EPDM or NBR) interior. Some competing products advertise a special coating on the inside of the rubber to make them resistant to ethanol and certain other chemicals. We think this is wrong wrong wrong. Why would you use a material that isn't 100% resistant to the chemicals in your application?

PTFE / Teflon with stainless steel has much greater chemical and pressure resistance compared to the stainless steel lines that have rubber on the inside. They're a little harder to install, but are practically invincible after that. Why not do a little more (and spend a little less) to get it right the first time?

PTFE is actually the same chemical compound as Teflon, but the word Teflon is owned by DuPont, which is why PTFE is a more common way of describing them.

Braided Stainless Steel PTFE / Teflon lines are great for replacing many factory rubber hoses such as rubber fuel lines, brake lines, and clutch lines. PTFE / Teflon does not deteriorate or bulge with age like rubber does, and has far superior chemical resistance. The stainless steel outside keeps the inner diameter uniform, allowing faster and more efficient fluid transfer (this means a firmer, more responsive pedal feel when replacing brake lines.) The stainless steel outside also keeps the lines looking shiny, new and professional all the time, and prevents damage to the inner hose.

Check out what some people are saying about rubber (EPDM / NBR) and the superior PTFE / Teflon stainless steel lines on the web:

"I need to switch over to Teflon lined fuel hose on my hot rod. I have always used Earls style ss braided hose and aluminum fittings, hose ends. The rubber hose has started to leak with age."

-Customer email

I had bought pushlock hose from someone else last week. Right away I smelled gas through the rubber. It was a well known brand. To be honest I bought a bunch of the Teflon hose and fittings from you and should get them in a day or two.

-Customer email

"Teflon hose will not smell, the regular braided hose will."

-http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28028

"So I'm putting my gas analyzer to use and am now able to truly pinpoint the source of that pesky fuel odor that I'm stuck with.... It's definitely the braided lines that I"m using for supply/return. All up and down the lines, when I put the sniffer to them, the HC's shoot up to 40-50 ppm compared to 0-2 ppm for normal air and around the rest of the engine compartment."

-http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72426&highlight=Earls+braided+lines+bleed+fuel+vapor

"Is there a braided line on the market that does not emit gas fumes? I've had the same problem with both Russell and Earl's braided hoses"... "Welcome to the world of braided hoses Ray. You're definately not the only one to have an "odor problem.""

-http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79450&highlight=braided+line+fumes

"I have a total of ~5' of Russell stainless braided hose on my Nova and the fuel permeation odor is AWFUL. When parking it in my garage the smell lasts for at least a week and I have to crack the door (thereby letting the a/c & heat escape) to get the smell out." ... "In our opinion, all the stainless steel braided hoses have this fuel permeation issue."

-http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28028
Old 01-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #25
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiguy View Post
I got a chance to install the lines a couple weeks ago. Not quite as flexible as the aeroquip lines but not horrible. The fittings were a little tricky but not much more difficult than SS braided lines. I've turned on the intank fuel pump and started the LS a handful of times and I'm happy to report NO GAS SMELL!
Do you think the black outer coating added to the difficulty to flex the line and install the fittings?