The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
john rod

wiper motor

after reading the post about wiper motors....I got busy and wired up the one I got at the salvage yard. it worked and parked. so I tackled the original in my Panel. it had lost its ground. if there is/was a brass ground strap, it is either on the top mounting bolt [where you cant see or get to] or there never was one. so I added a new ground wire. and now the motor runs and parks!
however the wire connector at the switch is a mess. sometimes it works, sometimes it needs a wiggle. I took the switch out and dipped the brass terminals in M. Acid, then sanded them. no difference.
the questions is now, how do you clean the brass terminals inside the plastic connector [especially that the wiring barely reaches the bottom of the dash] ?
drivers are dangerous here in dry weather, I would never drive my Panel in the rain. still I want everything to work properly.
thanks Rod in AZ
john rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:25 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: wiper motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by john rod View Post
after reading the post about wiper motors....I got busy and wired up the one I got at the salvage yard. it worked and parked. so I tackled the original in my Panel. it had lost its ground. if there is/was a brass ground strap, it is either on the top mounting bolt [where you cant see or get to] or there never was one. so I added a new ground wire. and now the motor runs and parks!
however the wire connector at the switch is a mess. sometimes it works, sometimes it needs a wiggle. I took the switch out and dipped the brass terminals in M. Acid, then sanded them. no difference.
the questions is now, how do you clean the brass terminals inside the plastic connector [especially that the wiring barely reaches the bottom of the dash] ?
drivers are dangerous here in dry weather, I would never drive my Panel in the rain. still I want everything to work properly.
thanks Rod in AZ
I have a small flat file that I clean the female end of the connectors with. If you can find a set of jewelers files there should be one in it. You may have to narrow it up a little with a grinder. Check at Harbor Freight Tools if you have one close to you, that or an Ace Hardware. The wiper switch has to be grounded to the dash good also so make sure that the retaining nut is tight. It takes a 5/8" wrench or socket. Just don't strip it out, the switch threads are pot metal.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote