The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2021, 11:20 AM   #1
old51sedan

Stripping Grille

I've read several articles on stripping grilles. So I thought I would try doing mine. I first tried the toilet bowl cleaner, didn't began to touch it. Next used some drain cleaner with Sulfuric acid, bad stuff, didn't faze it either. Called a shop that does anodized aluminum, they said they would strip it and then reanodize it when done for 225.00. Trying to sand that all off is really time consuming. A new one don't sound all that bad now.
Attached Images

old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Stripping Grille

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
I've read several articles on stripping grilles. So I thought I would try doing mine. I first tried the toilet bowl cleaner, didn't began to touch it. Next used some drain cleaner with Sulfuric acid, bad stuff, didn't faze it either. Called a shop that does anodized aluminum, they said they would strip it and then reanodize it when done for 225.00. Trying to sand that all off is really time consuming. A new one don't sound all that bad now.

Here are some threads on the subject that have been posted on the board....

https://www.google.com/search?domain...D%3A1%3B&hl=en

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #3
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Here are some threads on the subject that have been posted on the board....

https://www.google.com/search?domain...D%3A1%3B&hl=en

LockDoc
Thanks for the reply's, I have read some of the threads that were posted before, but LockDoc's were some I hadn't seen before. I think I'm going to give it one more shot with the easy-off oven cleaner before I decide what to do.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks for the reply's, I have read some of the threads that were posted before, but LockDoc's were some I hadn't seen before. I think I'm going to give it one more shot with the easy-off oven cleaner before I decide what to do.

Let us know how it goes.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:52 PM   #5
dunc018

Its been a while since I did mine but we used Easy Off Oven cleaner to remove the anodizing and then sanded to fine grit where needed and then polished. It turned out well. I found several posts here and elsewhere about the process
dunc018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:12 AM   #6
mr.mud1

i did all the side moldings on my 67 impala wagon,realizing that if i started buying N.O.S i'd have to buy them all.i had already spent a fortune on N.O.S for all the moldings,trim,tailights on the tailgate and accross the back of the car and 3 pieces of the rear bumper,then most of the trim on the front,eyebrows,hoodlip,2 of the 3 front bumper pieces,an N.O.S roof rack and on and on.i thought i'd save a buck and see what i could do so i made a tray out of a piece of rain gutter,bought a bottle of lye at the local hardware store.mixed it with water and soaked the moldings,1 at a time.it didn't take too long and the water/lye was a frothy filthy mess. i took the moldings out after a while,hosed them off and then polished them and sprayed them with satin finish clear coat.they aren't correct but look fine to me.clean looking and not too shiny.just my 2 cents worth.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
RustyBucket

Quote:
A new one don't sound all that bad now.
Aside from the shipping/down time, $225 stripped & re anodized sounds pretty good to me. That's providing they do a nice careful job. Regarding a new one, the last NOS one I saw was VERY PRICEY. Plenty of horror stories about quality, fit & finish on aftermarket ones.... mine included.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:32 AM   #8
Nh4clo4

I brought mine to a shop that specializes in trim work, they dipped it, to remove the anodizing, hammered out the dents, then polished it, I used sharkhyde coating to protect it, it’s not installed yet, but it is the original 70 grill to the truck
Attached Images

Nh4clo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:47 AM   #9
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nh4clo4 View Post
I brought mine to a shop that specializes in trim work, they dipped it, to remove the anodizing, hammered out the dents, then polished it, I used sharkhyde coating to protect it, it’s not installed yet, but it is the original 70 grill to the truck
Your grille looks great. I wouldn't have a problem doing that, but can't seem to find anyone I my area that does this sort of thing. Can you give us an idea of how bad your grille was and what it cost you to have this done?
Old 02-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #10
mkmc69

Quote:
Your grille looks great. I wouldn't have a problem doing that, but can't seem to find anyone I my area that does this sort of thing. Can you give us an idea of how bad your grille was and what it cost you to have this done?
I agree! That does look awesome! Original parts are always the best, hands down.
mkmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #11
sick472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nh4clo4 View Post
...I used sharkhyde coating to protect it...
That grill looks awesome! How much experience have you had with sharkhyde? I have some non-anodized custom aluminum pieces on my truck and have considered using this product before the truck hits the streets.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:00 PM   #12
Nh4clo4

The grill shell was in good shape, but several rock dings in it, it was 450.00 to remove the anodizing, hammer and dolly out the dents / dings, then polish and buff. The shark Hyde seems like a very good product, but I haven’t had it out doors yet, I’ve used it on some other parts not truck related, and it seems to work great, the place that did the work recommend it.
Nh4clo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #13
old51sedan

The rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say. After using dollar store oven cleaner and some drain cleaner with acid in it as pictured in first post, I decided as a last ditch effort to try easy off heavy duty oven cleaner. Man what a difference. The first application took about 85 percent off and the second finish it all off. I used steel wool the first time, but this second time I used a red very fine sanding pad and that words wonders, it doesn't brake apart like steel wool. Thanks guys for getting me on the right track.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #14
72c20customcamper

Quote:
The rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say. After using dollar store oven cleaner and some drain cleaner with acid in it as pictured in first post, I decided as a last ditch effort to try easy off heavy duty oven cleaner. Man what a difference. The first application took about 85 percent off and the second finish it all off. I used steel wool the first time, but this second time I used a red very fine sanding pad and that words wonders, it doesn't brake apart like steel wool. Thanks guys for getting me on the right track.
I know you already did but you shouldn't use steel wool on aluminum the steel can get into the aluminum and will eventually corrode.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote