The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
ItWillBeSlow

Full Brake Line Kits - 72 C20 Power Disc

I'm looking to replace all of the brake hard lines on my truck and looking for recommendations on which kit to buy.

I see classic heartbeat, GMCPauls, and inline tube all have OE Steel and Stainless kits. Prices are all close enough that I also wonder if they're all manufactured by inline tube (?).

Does anyone have good experience with any particular manufacturer/supplier for full hard line kits? I did not find much on this topic while searching.

My truck is a 72 C20 with power front discs.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #2
BigBird05

Re: Full Brake Line Kits - 72 C20 Power Disc

I liked the lines I got from Inline Tube. They fit with only a little twicking. I also like them because they are the ones that make them if there is anything wrong.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #3
ItWillBeSlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
I liked the lines I got from Inline Tube. They fit with only a little twicking. I also like them because they are the ones that make them if there is anything wrong.
Did you get stainless or the OE Steel?
Old 02-15-2021, 02:20 AM   #4
Accelo

This was a big hassle for me but I was converting a truck from drums.
If you have a stock truck the stock lines from any of the resellers should fit just fine. I do like Inline, I had some questions and they actually responded to me.

All bets are off on conversions. And if you read the fine print it will say so. I am on the third set of brake hoses for the front calipers on my C10. I finally got a set that fit the way I think they should. How the kit provider gets by with the brake hoses that come in the "kit" it beyond me. they had straight fittings from the calipers, just crap. They hit on everything! So I went with stock 72 lines. They didn't rub buy were too short because of the spindle drop. Finally went with 1972 3/4-Ton truck lines and they worked perfectly and the pricing was decent.
Rick
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #5
dave6672

Quote:
Same experience for me on my 72 C20. I got the non-stainless set.

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:29 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Full Brake Line Kits - 72 C20 Power Disc

Save your self a bunch of heart ace and buy a roll of tubing make them yourself. Its easy once you get the tube bending down. I made all my brake & fuel lines on the 68 step front to back. Took me a day to do the whole truck. The tubing is flexable enough to mount in the factory spots with the clips and confirm to the frame. The last picture was all the lines ran back to the front waiting on me to finish final install.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #7
BigBird05

I bought OEM. Stainless are hard to bend and hard to flare if a correction needs to be made. I think stainless are only needed on show trucks. If you have the skills and the time you can make costume lines. You can rent the flare and bending tools from the different parts places.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:11 PM   #8
cherokeejohn

I have to agree with Andy4639 on this one. my 72 with stock front disc needed all brake and fuel lines replaced. I spent $100 on a nice bender and double flare set, (Ebay) $80 on a full roll of Ni-Cop (Nickle plated Copper) lines for the brakes with a full fitting and clips included, (Ebay). i bought a roll of basic fuel line for about $20 (also Ebay). i did the whole truck over a weekend, mind you there was many beer breaks and a Smoker with a wild boar hind quarter going about 25 ft away so if you subtract all the non-work time, I'd say about a day. i did the booster/master, combo valve, front rubber to calipers lines, front caliper hardware kit, rear cylinders, drum shoes and full hardware kit, front pads, and drilled/slotted rotors at the same time. doing things 2x over, and even more drives me nutz, so "I always try to do all I can while I'm in there " so I say and do.
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:45 PM   #9
Tom70C20

Quote:
I bought OEM. Stainless are hard to bend and hard to flare if a correction needs to be made. I think stainless are only needed on show trucks. If you have the skills and the time you can make costume lines. You can rent the flare and bending tools from the different parts places.
Completely agree. I did stainless and though it looks really nice, if I had it to do over I would go with regular steel.
Tom70C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:51 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If you bend your own, cherokeejohn is on the money. The Ni-Copp tubing is the only way to go. It isn't nickel plated copper but a Nickel-Copper alloy. Bends really easy, Flares really easy, and it won't rust because of the alloy. You can actually bend it by hand if you want to. Type Ni-Copp into Google. Be sure and compare prices.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #11
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
If you bend your own, cherokeejohn is on the money. The Ni-Copp tubing is the only way to go. It isn't nickel plated copper but a Nickel-Copper alloy. Bends really easy, Flares really easy, and it won't rust because of the alloy. You can actually bend it by hand if you want to. Type Ni-Copp into Google. Be sure and compare prices.

LockDoc
The Ni-Copp tubing also flares really well with basic flaring tools too. Won't rust either.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:48 PM   #12
ItWillBeSlow

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Lots to think about here. I am of the mind to go with an OE steel IT kit. I am doing a full stock replacement only so I think I have a low risk of needing any notable modifications.

Is an OE steel kit likely to rust? My truck will rarely see water in the future.