The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2022, 06:03 PM   #1
HeavyD

Any reason for GM sport wheel hub to be so heavy?

Dug out a factory deluxe/corvette style steering wheel attached to a hub from a 68 Camaro on it...prepared to scuff it for paint and noticed the thing seems almost absurdly heavy?? You could put it in a sock and I am sure you could swing it and knock someone out.

Wouldn't the weight of this thing be hard on the steering column shaft or am I missing something? Been wanting to ask this for a while. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:01 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Any reason for GM sport wheel hub to be so heavy?

-
I think the relatively short distance from the wheel to the top bearing and the angle of the column would help offset the weight of the wheel. The column bearings are far from heavy duty and some have a plastic case that the balls ride in, but I think you will be fine. I guess it would depend on how much you plan to drive it and if you pull on the wheel when you get in and out off the vehicle.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:03 AM   #3
HotWheelsFan

Manual steering might be rough on bearings. Heaviness might help w/ vibration dampening.
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:14 AM   #4
leftybass209

Sometimes I think we get wrapped up in small details and forget these were just cars and trucks in their heyday. They were driven and beaten and taken for granted. There wasn't any supporting documentation or tech bulletins to be concerned of premature bearing wear.

The bearings may not need, or have needed to be replaced, but after even 20 years and a bunch of miles, it'd be ignorant to not check this kind of stuff anyway. I would think it's a non-issue.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:40 AM   #5
kwmech

extra metal was cheaper than engineers back then??
kwmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:40 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

The comfort-grip steering wheels were really light by themselves. I wonder how much one with hub weighs compared to the factory truck wheel. I bet the hub was intentionally made on the heavy side for vibration dampening and other "feel" considerations. Also, it's the hub that is bolted securely to the column with the light metal steering wheel bolted to that. I'm sure they wanted a solid and secure bolt-up there, so the hub was left solid. A hub is what holds things together and takes all the stress of leverage

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:12 PM   #7
indymachinist

I'd say its heavy because its not cheap junk.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:11 AM   #8
HeavyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The comfort-grip steering wheels were really light by themselves. I wonder how much one with hub weighs compared to the factory truck wheel. I bet the hub was intentionally made on the heavy side for vibration dampening and other "feel" considerations. Also, it's the hub that is bolted securely to the column with the light metal steering wheel bolted to that. I'm sure they wanted a solid and secure bolt-up there, so the hub was left solid. A hub is what holds things together and takes all the stress of leverage
Some good points there..thanks all.
Old 11-06-2022, 08:15 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

It was a good question. I'm a curios person, too. They certainly are heavy. Superior's hubs were light as a feather and those steering wheels had a cheaper feel. I just read through again and my thoughts on the weight being hard on the top bearing. I figure the bearing is rated to handle that. It's what bearings do. As mentioned, the weight is very close to the bearing so minimal leverage. Look at wheel bearings and what they do. Bigger, yes, as all bearings are are sized to suit demand. But just those 4 bearings carry all the weight of the truck with heavy wheels and tires hanging off of them with shock and side stresses added into the mix

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote