The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2023, 01:00 AM   #1
RonWT

Hood hinges needed

Hi folks, I have a need for hood hinges, both of mine have broke and been welded, I can't seem to get them adjusted to a point of the rear of the hood setting flush with the wiper cowling. My question is what are you guys using for hinges and if any of the aftermarket hinges better than the others?
Thank you

RonWT
RonWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 01:35 AM   #2
PbFut

Re: Hood hinges needed

I picked up a set of Goodmark at Summit. They fit and function perfectly. They also look just like the old ones on the truck. Unsure if original.
I started with OER. I did not mount the OER as the left and right had a slightly different finish and stapping was not the same between the two. I questioned OER on the subject and was connected to a supervisor who clearly did not care at all. Goodmark was only a few bucks more. They look and work flawlessly.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 09:59 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWT View Post
Hi folks, I have a need for hood hinges, both of mine have broke and been welded, I can't seem to get them adjusted to a point of the rear of the hood setting flush with the wiper cowling. My question is what are you guys using for hinges and if any of the aftermarket hinges better than the others?
Thank you

RonWT
Keep in mind the welded hinges really don't have anything to do with your problem, unless they are welded crooked.

What you need to do to lower the back the hood is to loosen the bolts that hold the hinge to the fender (only enough so that the hinges will move) and have a helper push up on the front of the hood while you tighten the bolts. This rotates the hinges back, raising the front of the hinge and lowering the rear. This will lower the hood in the back. Sometimes you can leave the front bolts snugged up and just loosen the rear two and get enough adjustment and sometimes you can't.. You need to be very careful when you close the hood after doing this in case you moved it too much or the hinges did not move evenly, side to side. Have your helper watch the rear and one side while you watch the front and the other side.

If the hinges are worn it generally won't change how high the hood sits by more than a fraction of an inch, unless they are about ready to fall apart. I have never seen a vehicle with this style hinge that you couldn't put the hood lower than the fenders if you wanted to. There is a lot of adjustment with these hinges. That is one of the things that makes it easy to align the panels.

If you put new rubber bumpers on the inside lip of the fenders where the hood closes, some of the replacement bumpers are a lot thicker than the originals and will hold the hood up, so check that also....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:46 AM   #4
jeffahart

I just bought hinges off Rockauto. They are goodmark. Paid $60 for each, out the door about $145 with shipping.

I shoud have changed them out sooner. What a difference! I can move the hood up and down with one finger and now my hood is level and adjusted nicely!

Also, I used my original springs. Have some black paint on hand to paint your springs if you're are using your original springs.

j