The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
19GM71

Sharing my bump steer fix with this Great community of truck nuts!

I know there are a lot of post and information about bump steer on our trucks that have been lowered with coil springs. Specifically ones like mine that have been lowered with 3" shorter springs only. I tried this solution on my truck and after 500 miles of driving I am very happy with the results.

I could not find a set in stone solution to this problem, so I wanted to share this with everyone because I am very excited how much better this thing drives now. Bump steer in my case has been eliminated.

In a nut shell, I moved the outer tie rod ends to the bottom side of the arm on the spindle.

Because of the cost of a tapered reamer, (not to mention exactly what taper is the tie rod end anyway), and the problem of having to add some type of tapered sleeve to take up the void when flipping tie rod ends and not enough meat at the arm of the spindle to do all of the above, this is what I did.

1. Replaced the adjusting sleeve with a solid adjusting link.
2. Replaced the outer tie rod end with a Heim joint.
3. Drilled the tapered hole in the spindle with a 5/8 drill bit to accept a 5/8 bolt which is the size of the Heim.
4. Reset the toe and Wow! what a difference it made.

Here are the P/N's of what I used. I found all of this stuff at Speedway Motors.

1. 91001449 JAM NUT 11/16 LH PLAIN, it takes 2 of these.
2. 91001249 JAM NUT 11/16 RH PLAIN, it takes 2 of these.
3. 91634-10.75 LINK,11/16",RAW, this is the adjusting sleeve and is 10.75 inches long, and it takes 2 of these.
4. 1750128 11/16"RH HEIM W/5/8" HOLE, it takes 2 of these.
5. You also need the 5/8" grade 8 bolts, washers and nuts.

All of these parts worked on my 1971, The new adjusting sleeve is designed to fit the stock inner tie rod end thread pitch and the outer Heim fits the other end. The only modification to my truck was drilling the spindles tapered hole to a non tapered straight 5/8 hole.

As I mentioned above I have been 500 miles so far with no problems and a very fun to drive lowered truck!!!
Attached Images

19GM71 is offline   Reply With Quote