The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
norml495

Angry HELP--windshield stainless install-'71 k-10

I am pulling what's left of my hair out over this. I am trying to install new windshield rubber w/stainless trim that I purchaced from the truck shop-in Orange,Ca. I have had two glass guys out, and they both said they have never had this much trouble with this type of install !! The stainless keeps rolling out of the rubber as the glass goes in. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. HELP, Norm
norml495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
bigdogboxers

Re: HELP--windshield stainless install-'71 k-10

Make sure you have the correct stainless for the rubber seal... With this i mean they made 2 different sets of stainless one set was a shallow lip stainless and the other which had a deep channel stainless. not sure which came first but i believe they changed in 1969. check lmc cat. for years... you must put the stainless in the rubber then the glass in then install it all in the cab as one unit... hope this helped...
bigdogboxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
cdowns

i've always put the rubber onto the glass then inserted the stainless then installed the assembly
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

This is a difficult job when everything comes together like it is supposed to. My guess is the problem is the gasket. I have installed a couple of these windshields here at my shop and precision brand gasket is all that we can get to work. I believe that truck shop uses soft seal. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
This is a difficult job when everything comes together like it is supposed to. My guess is the problem is the gasket. I have installed a couple of these windshields here at my shop and precision brand gasket is all that we can get to work. I believe that truck shop uses soft seal. WES
I totally agree! I had three shops try to install my windshield/stainless trim. This literally went on for weeks. The seal came from LMC and no matter how they tried, It just couldn't be done. It wasn't until I got a Precision seal that the job was completed.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
bigdogboxers

again make sure you have the correct seal with the correct trim. They made 2 different trims for the years 1967-1972. and yes even if they are the correct trim and seal they are very difficult to install... mine without the trim it took the glass company about 1 1/2 hours to install mine.

Last edited by bigdogboxers; 03-08-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogboxers View Post
again make sure you have the correct seal with the correct trim. They made 2 different trims for the years 1967-1972. and yes even if they are the correct trim and seal they are very difficult to install... mine without the trim it took the glass company about 1 1/2 hours to install mine.
In my case the seal from LMC was correct for the trim. One shop even tried to install the glass without the trim and still no go.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
JJanzen

Just curious because I am going to be needing a front and rear seal. Where do you purchase the Precision seals. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I had just the opposite experience with the trim windshield seal. Mine was a Precision brand and I had 2 helpers. I would never try it without at least three people, two on the outside and one on the inside. We had no problems installing it. I have always heard the Sofseal was a quality brand but I can't say for sure because I have never used one.

Like the guys have said, one of the trims has a 3/8" lip and you have to have the 3/8" groove seal for it and the other trim has a 5/8" lip and you have to have the 5/8" groove seal for it. I don't know the year breakdown on them either.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
Gene

I just got a set of front and back chrome for mine at the salvage, and was wondering what years had the larger lip, i'd say the earlier years 69-70 had the 5/8 and 71-72 had the shorter 3/8 lip as I got another set out of a 71. I have used all precision for mine and was wondering what everyones thoughts were on the good front and back seals, guess i'm going with precision.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
bigdogboxers

Cant remember which is the deep channel and which is the shallow channel rubber. But in the lmc catalog chevy custom rubber/trim years 67-70 then 71-72 gmc custom rubber/trim years 67-69 then 70-72 again thats according to lmc catalog page 12
Old 03-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
biggestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJanzen View Post
Just curious because I am going to be needing a front and rear seal. Where do you purchase the Precision seals. Thanks.
I got mine from GMCPauls

Haven't installed yet, so no comments.
biggestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
One Chevy Scotty

How funny....

I had the glass guys out this afternoon for my 72 and they spent almost 2 hours trying to get it to work....they finally gave up and said that they would come back tomorrow....I guess that this is a common issue? maybe the glass folks have graduated to the 'glue-in' style glass and are losing their touch with the older vehicles....they wanted me to put the rubber on top of the engine to heat it up (that isn't going to happen...) My seal came from LMC truck and was ordered for 1972 year model....I know they had a fight on the back glass, but they got it in eventually....who knew?
One Chevy Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
DT1

Re: How funny....

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Chevy Scotty View Post
I had the glass guys out this afternoon for my 72 and they spent almost 2 hours trying to get it to work....they finally gave up and said that they would come back tomorrow....I guess that this is a common issue? maybe the glass folks have graduated to the 'glue-in' style glass and are losing their touch with the older vehicles....they wanted me to put the rubber on top of the engine to heat it up (that isn't going to happen...) My seal came from LMC truck and was ordered for 1972 year model....I know they had a fight on the back glass, but they got it in eventually....who knew?
My LMC seal went straight into the trash. As did a few other things I've got from them in the past.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
BOZO
Old School

This exerpt from GMCPauls might help to identify what a person might need.

(67-72 Windshield seal, specify no deluxe trim, 67-70 Deluxe trim equipped (for 67-70 with 5/8" deep with centered trim tab that installs in weatherstrip to hold it in place ) , or 71-72 Deluxe trim equipped ( for 71-72 , has a 1/8"deep offset trim tab that installs in weatherstrip to hold it in place. ) Specify style in shopping cart. Windshield Trim sold separately.)

It is from the online catalog where I just ordered windshield and back glass seals for my Custom 10 (deluxe trim).
#1 Project...69 Chevy swb Fleetside (Dad's truck)
#2...1983 El Camino SS (Choo Choo Custom)
#3...1974 Datsun truck (4.3L V6/4L60E)
#4...1951 Cadillac Limo (1975 Caddy running gear)
#5...1938 Dodge M38 3/4 ton Military truck
#6...1968 Sportster XLCH trail bike
5 GMC & Chevy parts trucks 68 to 72
Last but not least;
My 1978 Harley Davidson Electraglide
(trusted & reliable companion for the last 30 years)
BOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #16
william-theglassman

i dont understand why so many glassmen have problems installing the older windshields with the chrome . i have been doing them for 20 years now and never had problems even when i first started doing glass.
william-theglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZO View Post
This exerpt from GMCPauls might help to identify what a person might need.

(67-72 Windshield seal, specify no deluxe trim, 67-70 Deluxe trim equipped (for 67-70 with 5/8" deep with centered trim tab that installs in weatherstrip to hold it in place ) , or 71-72 Deluxe trim equipped ( for 71-72 , has a 1/8"deep offset trim tab that installs in weatherstrip to hold it in place. ) Specify style in shopping cart. Windshield Trim sold separately.)

It is from the online catalog where I just ordered windshield and back glass seals for my Custom 10 (deluxe trim).
Thanks for posting that. Great info!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #18
trucks72
trucks72

The trim that is deeper will install a lot easier than the other. If you ever have to buy it get the deeper trim and the rubber to match it.
trucks72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #19
mstrav1973

It took myself and a glass guy about an hour to do mine. I did my rear slider with just my wife and was done in 15 minutes. There are def a few tricks to doing this.

1)start with window, add gasket and then insert trim while sitting on saw-horse
2) place trim into gasket then secure with blue tape on entire face of trim, paying extra attention to the bottom rounded corners where it wants to roll out. Cover entire trim securing to gasket with blue tape
3) add the rope / string to assist the install and tighten things up
4) glass guy should work the inside, while the other person works at keeping preasure on the opposite area he is working form the outside
5) make sure he has his pluungers helping him on the inside keep things tight
6) you will nead a window knife to assist from the outside

mine was OEM glass, LMC rubber and OEM trim

We started with one low corner (passenger side) set in place and worked across the bottom, then up pass side to corner and part ways across towards middle. Then up the drivers side towards the top corner. I kept good peeasure opposite where he was and used a small step ladder to keep good leverage in where I was standing ( but not risking myself falling or scratching my paint).

He tried for several hours buy himself and couldnt do it, so I took time off work to be able to help. Best part was he quoted me $75, couldnt do it, so he called all his competitors for pointers and one of them tried to help for several hours, still no luck. Me and him (1) hour and he said this was one of the most difficult ever because of the trim.

Last edited by mstrav1973; 03-08-2011 at 09:42 PM.
mstrav1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #20
One Chevy Scotty

well round 2 didn't go much better for us today....2 guys spent 2 hours trying to get it to work out....they gave up and promised to return tomorrow with a gasket from their stock....I guess that we'll see what happens then....
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #21
trevrolet65

I've always used some kind of lube on the seal, vasaline, lithium grease etc. Been a few years since I've done windshield replacement, but we lubed the seal and the edges and they seem to fall in place. The most time spent is the wipe down process. Good luck.
trevrolet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #22
johnnytuff

Just had my front done with precision seal. The owner of glass shop said precision is going chinese. He had trouble finding a seal.
johnnytuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by william-theglassman View Post
i dont understand why so many glassmen have problems installing the older windshields with the chrome . i have been doing them for 20 years now and never had problems even when i first started doing glass.
I think it's because most weren't in it when they "had to" know how to install windshields,not just glue them in. Anyone can do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucks72 View Post
The trim that is deeper will install a lot easier than the other. If you ever have to buy it get the deeper trim and the rubber to match it.
That's great advise right there.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #24
One Chevy Scotty

Well, take 3 was a no-go....the glass shop guys figured that they had wasted enough time in the first two trips with four guys and 2+ hours each....now they want me to bring the truck to their shop....yeah, right...drive a truck with no windshield (no inspection or registration stickers on the glass that isn't there) all the way across town? I would get stopped every other block....that isn't going to happen....I guess the search is on for someone more experienced....any suggestions in San Antonio?

thx.