The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
cdig

What is normal cruise RPM? OD Pooched?

Still working on my 04 2500HD Sierra, 6.0L, AT, 4:10 gears. I'm not sure if the OD is working or not, as when i'm cruising at hwy speed 100km/h (60MPH) it doesn't seem to make a difference if i have the tow/haul button on or not. Dash light comes on for the tow/haul, but RPM stays at 2200 rpm.

Can anyone else tell me what their RPM is, at 60MPH? I see and feel the gears shift 1-2, 2-3, and then 3-4 is somewhat prolonged and not as obvious as the previous gears so I'm wonderign if it actualy is going into 4 and then OD (and if so, my tow/haul button isn't doing anything), or if it's just going to 4 and my OD is pooched?
cdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Re: What is normal cruise RPM? OD Pooched?

Put the shifter in 3, get up to speed then move it to D. You should be able to feel the shift and then to torque converter lock. Tow/haul alters shift points, try engaging before taking off, you should notice it.

Just to check you can use the calculator to see if your RPM is right.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=274314

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
cdig

Thx I'll check that later today. I thought tow/haul kept it from going into OD as well no? I would expect the rpm to rise if I'm at hwy speed and push the button? Or is the 4L80e diff from the 4L60e?
Posted via Mobile Device
cdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
clinebarger

SHIFT STABILIZATION AND TOW/HAUL MODE FEATURE FOR HYDRA-MATIC 4L60-E/4L65-E AND 4L80-E/4L85-E TRANSMISSIONS

SHIFT STABILIZATION
PURPOSE
The purpose of shift stabilization is to reduce shift busyness during conditions that would otherwise produce frequent upshifts and downshifts, such as trailering, operating on grades or at higher altitudes.
Shift Stabilization is an algorithm in a vehicle's software/calibration that determines if and when to delay upshifts under load. Shift Stabilization only affects upshifts and not downshifts.

ACTIVATION
This feature is internal to the vehicle's software/calibration and requires no customer action to activate.
Shift Stabilization is effective in normal mode, cruise mode, and in Tow/haul mode.

FUNCTION
Shift Stabilization calculates the required torque at the wheels in the current gear as well as the maximum torque available at the wheels in the next higher gear. If the torque in the higher gear is not sufficient, the transmission will remain in the current gear. If the torque in the higher gear is greater than or equal to the required torque, than the upshift is allowed.
High throttle opening will disable Shift Stabilization and normal downshifts will occur.
Shift Stabilization occurs in the 4L60-E for only 2-3 and 3-4 shifts and in the 4L80-E for 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts.

TOW/HAUL MODE
PURPOSE
Reduce the frequency and improve the predictability of transmission shifts when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load. This is most apparent in city traffic. Without tow/haul, the transmission may upshift on a closed throttle decel. With tow/haul, the transmission will hold the current gear on a closed throttle decel. This reduces upshifts and downshifts.
Provide the same solid shift feel when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load as when the vehicle is unloaded.
Improve control of vehicle speed while requiring less throttle pedal activity when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.

ACTIVATION
Tow/Haul is selected or de-selected via a switch on the end of the transmission shift lever for all models except the GMC Jimmy and Envoy, their switch is mounted on the shift console. A light on the instrument panel will illuminate to indicate that tow/haul has been selected.
Tow/Haul must be reselected every time the vehicle is started (if desired).

FUNCTION
Tow/haul is designed to be most effective when the vehicle and trailer combined weight is at least 75% of the vehicle's Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).
Operation of tow/haul in a lightly loaded or non-loaded vehicle will not cause damage. However, there is no benefit to the selection of tow/haul when the vehicle is unloaded, this situation will cause a firm shift. The tow/haul switch is not a performance switch.
Selection of tow/haul when unloaded may result in unpleasant engine and transmission driving characteristics and reduced fuel economy. Tow/haul is recommend only when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.
Examples of altered shift speeds when in tow/haul:
Minimum 1-2 shifts pushed out approximately 13 km/h (8 mph)
Minimum 2-3 shifts pushed out approximately 24 km/h (15 mph)
Minimum 3-4 shifts pushed out approximately 48 km/h (30 mph)
Tow/haul only affects shift points below 88 km/h (55 mph).
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:46 AM   #5
Justin87

Excellent info Clinebarger!!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
MadManAndrew

My dad's 5.3L run's about 2000rpm at 70mph.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
1990SSchevy65

My 6.0 with 3.73s is a 2k rpm at 60 mph.
1990 Chevrolet 454SS GONE 02/26/11
1991 S10 SCSB GONE 12/24/08
1965 Chevrolet LB GONE 06/06/05
GM for life
1990SSchevy65 is offline   Reply With Quote